Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:25 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

Robert Steinback's story is one that so many are facing. He played the game by the rules, spending 24 years with the Miami Herald. And now he faces no health coverage.

Matter of life, death - St. Petersburg Times

He sums it up:

It all seems a tad un-American to me. I believe a nation is best defined by what I call "shared destiny": the goals we collectively embrace, the burdens we collectively share. Is the cost of good health for every American a burden that should be shared by all Americans? Should it matter to all of us when any of us dies a preventable death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
He can go to the free clinic and get the meds he needs it might not be free but it would be at a reduced cost

I am sorry anyone is ill I just dont think gov run care is the answer to our problems. I think they need to do something to bring down the cost and help with pre existing and thats it. Allow us to buy insurance over state lines

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
oh come on this fool needs to MAN UP!!! Ugh, how dare he think that the gov-mint is going to stand there and fund abortions AND his healthcare needs ... please!
-J. Boehner

Old 12-10-2009, 07:07 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He can go to the free clinic and get the meds he needs it might not be free but it would be at a reduced cost

I am sorry anyone is ill I just dont think gov run care is the answer to our problems. I think they need to do something to bring down the cost and help with pre existing and thats it. Allow us to buy insurance over state lines
There is a lot government could do without going to UHC but they are unwilling to take on the special interests of the insurance companies and big Pharma. Aetna made a post-tax profit of well over $1 billion last year.

There needs to be an option for people who are willing to pay insurance but who the profit hungry companies are unwilling to insure.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post

Perhaps you can post a link to the free clinic, as I haven't heard of one that will cover these things. He lives in your area.

He currently is paying about 10k a year for COBRA and copays.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-10-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
There is no "Free Clinic" that will provide you with drugs to manage things like diabetes.

People just think there is.

I found that out 8 years ago when I was 22, temping, and needed medical care. Your options are ER or pay out of pocket. If you are working without insurance, you are screwed.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Help With Prescription Medications through Patient Assistance Programs

I don't know anything about this but I googled free medications and this site and a couple of others came up.,.

I'm not sure they would help or not..

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Help With Prescription Medications through Patient Assistance Programs

I don't know anything about this, I googled free medication and this site and a couple of others came up.,.

I'm not sure they would help or not..
Those places only help if you are making a very low wage.

The problem is people making middle class wages that don't qualify for assistance, yet not making enough to pay for insurance and medication. Making $35k 8 years ago put me in that spot.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:50 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
It seems health insurance was a good thing for Mr Steinbeck at one time:

I wear a $5,000 insulin pump — the third one insurance has paid for since 1999. The pump's insulin-delivery kits, which must be changed every three days, cost $199 a month at market rates; insurance pays the full cost now. The insulin itself costs $338 a month (my current co-payment is $54). The test strips used in my blood-glucose testing monitor cost more than $200 a month over the counter (my current co-payment is $48).
I have had expensive laser eye treatments to stanch the blood leakage associated with diabetic retinopathy. The treatments have been successful; my eye health is stable and my vision perfect — but there is always a chance I will need further treatments.

I can't help but wonder would a government run health care system continue to pay for these things? We are trillions of dollars in debt already, how can we afford to shoulder the burden of millions of Mr Steinbacks? I am not saying that our current system does not need reform - it does, and especially for people like Mr Steinback who have a 'pre existing condition' and cannot get insurance on his own. But I think we are making a grave mistake by only focusing on insurance companies and not the other two legs of this stool ..... the medical and pharmaceutical industries. If there is to be reform it must include them as well, or they will continue the bankrupting of the US. Either that or people like Mr Steinback will find themselves 'aged out' of getting the appropriate (and very, very expensive) treatments. And what will that have solved in the long run?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
"These services include unit dose drug distribution, IV admixture preparation, chemotherapy admixtures, investigational drug studies, outpatient prescriptions,"

Department of Pharmacy

This is the Harris county Texas health care system for the poor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies