Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,218 times

Advertisements

It's astounding isn't it? Makes me sick.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
What percentage of that 40% is black? Would they be carrying the traditional southern values that the Good ol' Boys bring? Would they be willing to bleed and die for the Stars and Bars?

And 40% does not consititute 'most'.
If you start out with 40%, and that 40% stay in the armed services while the soldiers from other regions decline to re-enlist or resign, then that 40% grows over time, thus eventually exceeding 50% and comprising a majority.

That's simple enough.

Your original rude remarks didn't pertain to race, but simply to Southern origins, so your rebuttal is non-responsive.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
American soldiers carried the stars and bars into combat along with the stars and stripes? Hogwash. Maybe some rebel units did, but most Americans wouldn't have been caught dead carrying that piece of crap.

And no, they weren't mostly southerners. We had a draft during World War II. Every section of the country was subject to it, and 20% of the country were not 'most' of the soldiers, sailors, and airman. Another attempt by southern sympathizers to make up for their feelings of inadequacy after having lost the Civil War. You ain't super soldiers and you never were.
As regards the draft, that wasn't the only source of soldiers. Millions of soldiers volunteered, they weren't drafted. And the South had more volunteers than any other region of the country. So you are wrong again.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry -perhaps you could link to where I said the Soviet Union wasn't so bad? It's sort of like every time slavery is criticized, or southern atrocites are pointed out, the response is never 'yes, they were terrible and slavery was an abomination', it's always 'yes, but the North...blah blah blah.

It's similar with the criticism of the Nazis. Why those who have an affinity for the Southern cause and secession have similar feelings about the nazis is for somebody else to explain, but every time the Nazis are criticized, at least by me, one of you jumps in with a 'But the Soviets...blah, blah, blah.'

I suppose it shouldn't be that big a surprise. Both the South during the Civil War and Nazi Germany were societies built on the theory of racial superiority. I've always found it intersting that German prisoners of war were allowed access to facilities in the South that black american soldiers were not.

The real problem here is that you and the rest of the Southern Mafia don't like what I say about the South, so naturally everything I say must be disputed. It's OK. I'm a big boy. I can take it.
You take umbrage when someone infers from your remarks that the Soviets "weren't so bad", because you never said as much. But you freely infer from some posters that they think Hitler "wasn't so bad", when they also never stated that sentiment.

Double standard?

The real problem here is that you are so biased against the South that you are unable to objectively examine your own statements or to objectively hear anyone else's arguments.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
And you have this habit of answering every example of Southern evil with something the 'Yankees' did, as though there was some moral equivalence. There wasn't. There couldn't be when the southern cause was so absolutely evil. But then if you don't consider slavery, racism, and making war on the United States evil, I can see where you might reach the conclusions you do.

The Prussian elite? the crimes of the Germans were hardly committed by a handful of Prussian elite. They were committed by ordinary Germans, apparently quite willingly and without a trace of conscience. So although I sympathize with those individual Germans who bore the brunt of Russian reprisals, they can look to Hitler and the party they willingly and enthusiastically followed if they need somebody to blame.

Black and white - what an appropriate choice of words. And yes, I think you'd be much happier in the South. You'd probably be even happier in the south of the 1950's, but I imagine you can make it work.
Independence for your state and region is evil? Wanting to preserve your culture and lifestyle is evil? Wake up - Slavery was a historical reality of the time, slaves were a luxury very few Southerns could afford or had use for, and the average Southern soldier didn't fight for anything that had to do with slavery or blacks. It was a war of independence, no different from the American Revolutionary War, to rid their lands of imperialist swine. The federal government was way over line and Lincoln was no voice of morality.

War crimes are committed by all types in all nations. It wasn't the political ideologues who were driving tanks through the homes of innocent Finns, or searching for German women to gang-rape. It was the bulk of the Red Army - Poor, fear-driven (fear of their own government), and uneducated, quite representative of Russia's population at the time, that committed these crimes.

The women who were raped can blame themselves for supporting Hitler? The German NS Party didn't even win a majority of the country's votes in the Reichstag. They just received more than any other party at the time. That alone should tell you that it was a nation divided. Hitler received less than half the votes. It was either Hitler, the conservative Prussian industrial base (who were seen as unwilling to adapt and the cause of WWI), extreme liberals (who were seen as the cause of Weimar-era woes), or Marxists.

Very true, but I guess I will have to settle.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 10,203 times
This is good graffiti this person (or persons) did. I would gladly shake his hand if I met him in person.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartSoul View Post
This is good graffiti this person (or persons) did. I would gladly shake his hand if I met him in person.
Yay for vandalism!

Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
What's good about it?

Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Guess that goes to show what type class of people you feel most comfortable with, reckon?

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-20-2009 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 11:04 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
For interested parties, the state of Arkansas has a current bill that is designed to protect the memorials & graves of their veterans (from all wars). It is HB1229. It states that Arkansas' war memorials shall not be "removed or renamed". It also would codify this kind of despicable vandalism as a Class D Felony.

I understand we all have different takes on American veterans, including Confederates, and America's historical foreign policy objectives,.. But for folks cheering the desecration of Confederates memorials, and/or graves.. If you applaud, or don't resist, this kind of desecration; there will remain an open door for the graves & memorials of your heroes to also be unprotected from politicized vandalism or future slander.

Anyways, here's the bill status/text: https://legiscan.com/AR/drafts/HB1229/2015
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies