Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:19 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The real problem is, there are basically no social or economic benefits to diversity, outside of the "cool" factor. Like wow, I don't even have to leave the United States to see China because I can go to San Francisco and watch their parades. But on the other hand, there are a lot of social problems associated with the evaporation of culture, the cultural and language barriers, the crime rate disparities, preferential treatment under our affirmative action system, and constant charges of discrimination.
Really? Then why is it those who live in diverse neighborhoods are generally much more accepting of people, people's faith and sexuality as opposed to neighborhoods that are not. Why is it that in my huge family, which consists of northern whites on one side and Mexican-Americans as in-laws you can see so many examples of this. My most racist relatives live in the least diverse areas, while my most open-minded relatives live in cities or diverse Houston suburbs. As for the comment about the evaporation of culture, if culture evaporated, we'd all be homogeneous and your worries would never come to fruition. How can there be preferential treatment if there is no culture in the first place? Or are you instead less accepting of those cultures that you feel are impeding on yours, which you so obviously feel is superior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Originally Posted by Redshadowz
The real problem is, there are basically no social or economic benefits to diversity, outside of the "cool" factor. Like wow, I don't even have to leave the United States to see China because I can go to San Francisco and watch their parades. But on the other hand, there are a lot of social problems associated with the evaporation of culture, the cultural and language barriers, the crime rate disparities, preferential treatment under our affirmative action system, and constant charges of discrimination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Really? Then why is it those who live in diverse neighborhoods are generally much more accepting of people, people's faith and sexuality as opposed to neighborhoods that are not. Why is it that in my huge family, which consists of northern whites on one side and Mexican-Americans as in-laws you can see so many examples of this. My most racist relatives live in the least diverse areas, while my most open-minded relatives live in cities or diverse Houston suburbs. As for the comment about the evaporation of culture, if culture evaporated, we'd all be homogeneous and your worries would never come to fruition. How can there be preferential treatment if there is no culture in the first place? Or are you instead less accepting of those cultures that you feel are impeding on yours, which you so obviously feel is superior?
I don't get it. The poster's point is that there are no benefits to diversity. Then you post, well then, "why is it those who live in diverse neighborhoods are generally much more accepting of people".

Is this your attempt to refute the poster's point? You attempt to prove that there are, indeed, benefits to diversity by pointing out that those who live in diverse areas are more accepting?

Do you really think that was a good argument? Do you think that you have successfully refuted the poster's point? What you said has nothing to do with what the poster said. What kind of thinking is this?

I agree with the poster. There is not much that is good that comes with diversity in this country. That's just a liberal platitude that we are bombarded with in an attempt to make us more accepting. The most we can hope for is acceptance.

Also, your huge family notwithstanding, I find the people who live in the least diverse areas are the most accepting. Those who live in and around minorities and interact with minorities on a daily basis are the least accepting.

The city of Atlanta is majority black but the greater metropolitan Atlanta area is majority white. The Atlanta suburbs do have a sizable black and hispanic population. Even though the greater metropolitan Atlanta area is majority white, it is the minority population that perpetrates the vast majority of violent crime. These include robberies, car jacking, home invasions, etc. No, I'm sorry but I'm not accepting of this.

- Reel

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Once again we have the Klan view eloquently expressed on C-D.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Per capita income Fort Worth = $22,708
Per capita income Washington DC = $40,539

Per capita IQ Fort Worth = hat size.
That $40,539 won't get you very far in D.C. You can live comfortably in Fort Worth for your $22,708.

My income: $55,000

My IQ: tested in the Army at 136 (98th percentile)

I have lived in both D.C. and Atlanta and have formed my opinions from experience so say what you will.

Have a nice day!

Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
This not a race issue or a safety issue either. Its a class issue, wealty white folk dont want to live next to poor white folk either.

Back in the 50's and 60's most well do do folk were whites. so the term White Flight was coined...but the truth these day is there are more well to do black and hispanic folk leaving the older homes for newer homes and nieghborhoods.

After WWII, new, cheaper built homes were built for our returning GIs...Disposable homes and neighborhoods were created. The homes built were not the type that last from generations to generation...Their Quality and style were buillt for the new ever changing American consumer.

Model homes and automobiles are marketed to the American consumer as newer is better...and the poorer folk pick up the used models.
Side note here: till ca. 1970; Hispanics as a group were also counted as 'White'--------at least those who were not obviously Black or Indian.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
That $40,539 won't get you very far in D.C. You can live comfortably in Fort Worth for your $22,708.

My income: $55,000

My IQ: tested in the Army at 136 (98th percentile)

I have lived in both D.C. and Atlanta and have formed my opinions from experience so say what you will.

Have a nice day!
I think you were wise to move back to Fort Worth. You'll certainly find more success there than in a city like Washington or Atlanta. In the mean time we in the District of Columbia will just struggle along in the ghetto.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,948 times
The move from inner cities to the suburbs & for some suburbanites to return to...trendy downtown enclaves,is a worldwide phenomenon...
It happens in every developed city ...& certainly has no racial factor,only...monetary...

Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I'm conservative and I like diversity - I grew up in and continue to live in diverse East Dallas. Not only racially but also economically diverse.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Side note here: till ca. 1970; Hispanics as a group were also counted as 'White'--------at least those who were not obviously Black or Indian.
The government still recognizes that Hispanics can be of any color.

It's the media and people themselves that are ignorant to that fact.

Too many pale, green eyed Cubans running around Miami, a "minority majority" city for me to take the media labels very seriously!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Some of you have some crazy ideas about the world.

White flight is motivated by not wanting to live in a neighborhood full of people having beer parties on the front lawn every evening, not wanting to live with high crime rates, and not having to put up with what is generally considered uncouth behavior. Most people don't care who is doing it.

The fact of the matter in all this is several ethnic groups are unpleasant to live among. This doesn't mean every Mexican or every African-American is nuisance neighbor. It means crime and nuisance behavior has a strong correlation with these groups and most people who have the means to escape this kind of an environment are going to move out the first chance they get.

As far as people living in racially diverse neighborhoods being more tolerant? I live in one of those neighborhoods and even though these people claim to be tolerant, they are far from it.

This nonsense that everyone has a little bit of everything in them is nothing more than politically correct rubbish. We have DNA testing now that supports this. You can have a DNA test and find out where your ancestors were from. Right down to a village in many cases. Some people have posted their results on the internet and show nothing non-European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies