Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 02:06 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's not about being sensitive. It's about the fact that nobody is allowed to say anything without someone thinking they can sue you for it. It's about people thinking their feelings being hurt is something that everyone should worry about.

Being respectful is something everyone should do, but when we're afraid to call a muslim terrorist a muslim terrorist, it's a problem.
the term "muslim terrorist" is not being politically incorrect. What is incorrect is to say all muslims are terroists.

One of the few things I learned in school was not to use the word "all" in describing a group or a set of anything.

There is a difference in "political" correctness and plain old being correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
That was an isolated incident that had more to do w/stupidity on the part of the military. To say that political correctness leads to tragedies like that is just neurotic.
Just to be clear - a memo from the new political appointee had come down in essense stating that the military needs to be sensitive to the culture and religious practices of their Muslim service members and that great care should be taken to not judge their behavior that is religiously based. Sounds fair and benign enough. But, how it translates in reality is that to now report concerns about a Muslim solider you can no longer just say he's acting weird, he's saying some religious stuff that seems like it could be over-the-top, he's reading stuff with Arab writing, I've heard him several times talking Arab on the phone, and he's making his colleagues uneasy - all which was true in the Fort Hood case. That memo in reality meant you practically had to see the man wearing an I Love Al-Queda t-shirt under his uniform to report your concerns or you might end up in sensitivity training and getting a comment about "doesn't support diversity" on you OER or NCOER.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:18 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
An example of what is endemic in political correctness overkill is this spiffy gift guide from the liberal, P.C. New York Times.

Of Color | Stylish Gifts - The New York Times
OMG. I find this kind of thing highly annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
Also, why is it that White Liberals get to define me solely as a minority, yet concurrently they get to self-define with personal interests, hobbies, and the likes?
I would like to know the answer to that also. And God forbid you don't nicely fit in their box for how you should feel and think (vote) based on that race or you'll be accused of betraying your race.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Ok, I can't tell you how many times I've seen comments of "political correctness is ruining this country!!!!" on this forum. That statement is probably one of the most backward, absurd things I've heard in awhile. As if being sensitive & respectful of others is a horrific idea for some on here. Can anyone explain how exactly political correctness is ruining this country? Or is it just a lot of hand flapping from those who are missing the sensitivity chip?
"Political correctness" was created by Stalin to quell opposition speech.

No wonder liberals love it.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
What is usually called political correctness goes beyond mere politeness or respect for others and it can be pretty irritating or worse...but it's not single-handedly destroying the country.

Both the left and right (and folks in the center) practice their own versions of political correctness and enforcement of certain taboos. The left, for a while, just seemed better at coming up with silly-sounding ones.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
political correct nonsense is ruining America. No one can speak their mind anymore without being attacked. Wheres the free speech. Paula Dean Serena williams all recently attacked for voicing their opinion. another thing that bothers me is this pc regarding illegal immigrants. undocumented citizens? Hell no illegal immigrants or illegal aliens
Thanks for bringing this four year old thread back from the dead -- not.

While you say, "No one can speak their mind anymore without being attacked.," right wing radio does it all day long and nobody is attacking them or suspending their licenses.

What I think you are complaining about is being able to say thinks without consequences or backlash. Well, if someone says something stupid or offensive other voices shouldn't be silenced who call them out.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
We've gone way beyond what this started out as.
We are now redefining terminology and meanings.
We want to remove the stigma from everything.

Why ? Why is American becoming so thin skinned ?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I agree with this, that PC is actually harming us because we are no longer allowed to talk about things openly, and if we can't talk about things it's pretty hard to find common ground, straighten out misconceptions or find solutions.

I think All in the Family, if it were a new show being pitched, wouldn't have a chance in he** of being picked up, because everyone (network execs, advertisers) would be terrified of it or being seen as insensitive. But it's not about the words Archie says, it's about the context - by allowing Archie to say the things he did, we were able to have Mike and Gloria and Edith counteract him, and see him grow and change some of his attitudes. We also got to see him look like an ignorant fool because of his beliefs, which IMO did more to show how ignorant those beliefs were than simply punishing him for them would have.

In my health ed class in high school in the late 70's, one boy chimed in about homosexuality and his very negative views on it. Nowadays, he's probably get suspended for the remarks. Back then, it led to a whole class discussion, where he discovered that he was pretty much alone in his beliefs in our class, and why, and in the end he actually admitted he was too harsh and he could be wrong.

How can you change anyone's mind if no one is allowed to discuss anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies