Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Come on, don't be ridiculous. What "empires" have been built? Having bases in countries does not automatically equate "empire building."
How many countries have bases here?

Quote:
Reagan did not "bankrupt" us; but he did force the Soviet Union into bankruptcy with the arms race.
Actually, he put us in a situation where our debt will never be repaid and also spawned that nonsense from RINO Cheney that "deficits don't matter"

Quote:
Perhaps someone can post a quote and link by Ron Paul. I did hear him say that but it was quite a few years ago and don't know the source.
It's in the video. People try to sidestep and shuffle when trying to explain it away, but the fact remains that Reagan spoke highly of RP's foreign policy philosophy, before Reagan veered away from it and became more moderate/liberal. If you want conservative, you won't really find it with Reagan, not with foreign policy anyway.

Quote:
And I stand by what I say. Terrorists are not the same as traditional POWs and Geneva Convention rules don't apply to them.
Stalemate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I didn't know Obama was on the supreme court I thought he was the president. I guess I was mistaken.
Looks like I need to do some housekeeping for the forum *******s:

The Solicitor General is the White House advocate for cases heard by the Supreme Court. More simply put for the slower forum participants, the Solicitor General is tasked with communicating the view of the White House for cases that are heard by the Court.

So, yes, Obama did in fact have his voice heard in this matter.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
1) Link to FOXNews
2) Inaccurate title referring to President Obama
3) Torturer/warmonger acquittal leads to gloating.

Yup, all red flags. Looks like we got us a Teabagger.......
I'll say it as many times as I need to say it for the forum *******s:

The Solicitor General is the White House advocate cases heard by the Supreme Court. More simply put for the slower forum participants, the Solicitor General is tasked with communicating the view of the White House for cases that are heard by the Court.

So, yes, Obama did in fact have his voice heard in this matter.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:01 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Thanks for a wonderful debate on a very important topic. G'night!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,588 times
Default "Not Don Rumsfeld" ..... Who Wudda Thunk It !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
WASHINGTON -- In a victory for former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and 10 high-ranking military officers, the Supreme Court announced Monday it will not hear an appeal brought by four former Guantanamo Bay detainees who claim they were tortured and were trying to sue the people they blame for their alleged mistreatment.

Solicitor General Elena Kagan refused to concede the torture allegations and defended the lower court's immunity analysis. Furthermore, Kagan says "it was not clearly established at the time (the plaintiffs) were detained at Guantanamo Bay that they had the constitutional rights they claim were violated."

FOXNews.com - Supreme Court Rejects Appeal by Guantanamo Detainees Who Sued Rumsfeld

Now this is terror policy us conservatives can believe in!

Thanks Obama!

(Sorry for your luck libs!)
Good Evening,

AeroGuyDC ... They won't let me rep you now for this excellent offering but I will take care of it later!

Well Now ... The Old Human Race is just kinda hard to figure sometimes !

My oh my... how well I remember the way those mean old Washington Liberal Politician folks "Snarled, Gnashed Their Teeth, & Literally Chewed up" poor old Secretary of Defense Don! Afterall what does a Secretary of Defense know anyway ... right ?

It's interesting and also quite sad to watch the current dire "Unraveling" of a certain faction of the present "Nightmare"... Washington Political Circus!

How utterly ridiculous the Washington Liberal Politicians are beginning to look !

May God help us if the American People cannot do any better than this for future leadership of this great nation !

Best Regards / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 12-14-2009 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Oh Nothing ! / Lamar

Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Shame you were not living in Germany in the 1930's, you would then have your answer.

Under the Geneva Conventions, however, soldiers who fight out of uniform or commit atrocities – i.e., murder prisoners or target and kill noncombatants – may be sent before firing squads.

Wehrmacht soldiers who penetrated American lines in the Battle of the Bulge by wearing U.S. Army uniforms hastily shed them to fight in German uniforms – or else they could have been shot when captured. OSS agents, dropped behind enemy lines to kill German pilots and Nazi collaborators, knew they were not entitled to the same protections as 82nd Airborne troops dropped behind German lines on D-Day.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
How many countries have bases here?
You are wrong. If the U.S. wanted to "empire build" we could have easily done so right after WWII. We had successfully beaten Japan and help defeat Germany and had nuclear weapons. The fact that the U.S. instead drew back her troops shows how wrong you are.

Quote:
Actually, he put us in a situation where our debt will never be repaid and also spawned that nonsense from RINO Cheney that "deficits don't matter"
The Democratic-controlled Congress back then spent, on average, 2.8% more than Reagan asked for and a cumulative 24.5%. Every balanced-budget proposal which Reagan presented was declared DOA by Tip O'Neil.

Quote:
It's in the video. People try to sidestep and shuffle when trying to explain it away, but the fact remains that Reagan spoke highly of RP's foreign policy philosophy, before Reagan veered away from it and became more moderate/liberal. If you want conservative, you won't really find it with Reagan, not with foreign policy anyway.
I'll have to watch the video again. BTW, what was the moderate/liberal part of Reagan's foreign policy?

Quote:
Stalemate.
No, I am right and you are not. Conventional POWs (those fighting in uniform) and terrorists are not the same thing.
However, I wonder if those German POWs enjoyed glazed turkey on Thanksgiving which the Gitmo prisoners were served?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Good Evening,

AeroGuyDC ... They won't let me rep you now for this excellent offering but I will take care of it later!

Well Now ... The Old Human Race is just kinda hard to figure sometimes !

My oh my... how well I remember the way those mean old Washington Liberal Politician folks "Snarled, Gnashed Their Teeth, & Literally Chewed up" poor old Secretary of Defense Don! Afterall what does a Secretary of Defense know anyway ... right ?

It's interesting and also quite sad to watch the current dire "Unraveling" of a certain faction of the present "Nightmare"... Washington Political Circus!

How utterly ridiculous the Washington Liberal Politicians are beginning to look !

May God help us if the American People cannot do any better than this for future leadership of this great nation !

Best Regards / Lamar

Not very much. Rummy thought we could go in with a "small footprint", install a friendly regime, and have most of our forces out in 6 months. He sent troops driving around in Humvees with canvas doors to get shot, blown up, and killed. Over 6 years later, we still have forces in Iraq. 24 million people, with various ethnic divisions waiting to erupt, were somehow supposed to be controlled by less than 150,000 troops who were a different, race, religion, and spoke another language.

Rumsfeld was not only criminally inept, he was a lying fool as well.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Under the Geneva Conventions, however, soldiers who fight out of uniform or commit atrocities – i.e., murder prisoners or target and kill noncombatants – may be sent before firing squads.

Wehrmacht soldiers who penetrated American lines in the Battle of the Bulge by wearing U.S. Army uniforms hastily shed them to fight in German uniforms – or else they could have been shot when captured. OSS agents, dropped behind enemy lines to kill German pilots and Nazi collaborators, knew they were not entitled to the same protections as 82nd Airborne troops dropped behind German lines on D-Day.
How many of these people have been captured on U.S. soil?

Thats what I thought.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, it's interrogation. And if it's done to terrorists, it's okay by me.
Of course, of course. Rumsfeld said so, and so did Limbaugh. Don't get carried away though: unlike Rummy, you do not have a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Terrorists, or terrorists suspects? Remember that vast majority of the prisoners have been released, because it turned out they were NOT terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies