Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I'll remember that when I see a church full of white people praying in front of dark brown or arabic looking Jesus and the next time I see a Klan member burninig a cross.
Uh, Jesus was from the Middle East. Chances are he was dark brown or arabic looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So why is it in the Old Testament of the Bible I have?

Admittedly, some Jews in the US aren't overtly comfortable with the Maccabees, as they were like fundamentalists who declared war on assimilated "Hellenized" Jews. The Seleucids never should have gotten involved in said dispute and made things worse by putting up a statue of Zeus in the Temple. (The Book of Maccabees seems oddly contemporary, doesn't it? An explosive mixture of politics and religion in the Middle East involving an occupying force interfering in a civil war with other power players in the world at the time getting involved. That's why it still has appeal, it is quite the story.)
Because Christians don't agree on what books should be in the Bible.

Books of the Maccabees - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term mostly refers to two deuterocanonical books contained in some canons of the Bible:

Deuterocanonical books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Deuterocanonical books is a term used since the sixteenth century in the Catholic Church and Eastern Christianity to describe certain books and passages of the Christian Old Testament that are not part of the Hebrew Bible. The term is used in contrast to the protocanonical books, which are contained in the Hebrew Bible. This distinction had previously contributed to debate in the early Church about whether they should be read in the churches and thus be classified as canonical texts.
The Deuterocanonical books are considered canonical by Roman Catholics, but are considered non-canonical by most Protestants. The word deuterocanonical comes from the Greek meaning 'belonging to the second canon'.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
If the purpose of Kwanzaa is for African Americans to have a holiday all their own, why not have Emancipation instead. This is based on a common history of their ancestors being enslaved which all African Americans share (I'm talking about the African American ethnic group that has lived in the US for centuries..not recent black immgirants from the African continent).
Emancipation day is already a recognized public holiday in many Caribbean islands and usually consists of reflecting on the past and looking forward. There's lots of parades, often a West African head of state is invited as a special guest of the Prime Minister and general reflection on the contributions of the slaves and their descendants to various facets of Caribbean life.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Uh, Jesus was from the Middle East. Chances are he was dark brown or arabic looking.
That's the point. If Christianity isn't really a white man's religion, then why is he clearly Aryanized in nearly every portrait you see of him? And not just in white churches either.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
I personally dislike separate holidays in general.wether its jewish or separate spanish holidays or separate black american holidays.

If thats the case we should separate each group into a separate country

we should all celebrate one holiday in general as a nation

Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
What would prevent you from celebrating a Jewish holiday if you aren't Jewish? Countries are formed of different ethnicities, each with a different history in the country, with different religions....therefore it is only natural for separate holidays to exist that reflect the differences in the general population. I think people should move away from looking at group X's holiday as only for group X to celebrate.

For example, I am not Hindu but for Diwali (a public holiday where I live) I will take part in the celebration as would most non-Hindus. We might not fast and perform prayers, but we would try to participate as much as we can. A separate holiday for Hindus does not mean that only Hindus can participate in it. A truly integrated society means we can appreciate each culture's contribution and apply them to our lives. Tying back to Diwali, which celebrates the triumph of good over evil, I sure don't have to be Hindu to celebrate that sentiment..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
A country divided cannot stand but has an end.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,095,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I (I'm a she by the way) am very proud of my Black heritage. Kwanzaa is not really a part of Black heritage. Most Black Americans could not tell you anything about the faux holiday. It is completely fabricated and artificial; I hate that it is being pushed by some unknown force. Most churchgoing Blacks will never accept it....it reeks of paganism.
That's funny. I guess you don't like your Christmas tree or wreath's or even celebrating the timing of Christmas (Sol Invictus)either. Paganism indeed...being pushed by some "unknown" force.

Since your Catholic like me, I'm sure you know all about the little town of Nicea, and the first and second "acts" that occurred there?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I hate Kwanzaa. And I hate the idea of Kwanzaa especially this time of year. Since when do Black Americans need a fabricated Faux Christmas type holiday?

Living in Los Angeles is pretty difficult for a Black person who hates Kwanzaa to avoid the topic. I am routinely accosted by well-meaning, PC White people wishing me a “Happy Kwanzaa” as I shop in the local Whole Foods or the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market or sending me Happy Kwanzaa e-cards.

First of all, I’m a Christian. A Catholic actually. We have enough pomp and circumstance going on without adding a phony “cultural celebration” into the mix.
Secondly, I don’t know a single Black person who actually celebrates Kwanzaa. NO ONE. Just who is actually buying all of those ridiculous Kwanzaa cards anyway?

Africans don’t celebrate Kwanzaa, most have probably never even heard of the holiday

]Kwanzaa was created in 1966 by Dr. Maulana “Ron” Karenga, who was black militant and convicted felon. He was also convicted of torturing two black women (over a two day period) by stripping them naked, beating them with electrical cords, placing a hot iron into the mouth of one and mangling the toe of the other in a vise. During the ordeal, he forced them to drink detergent. Not really someone that I want to be a culture influencer.

Who is actually supporting this holiday because I know no Black person who does?

So...what are you doing for Kwanzaa this year?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:08 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default Emancipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
If the purpose of Kwanzaa is for African Americans to have a holiday all their own, why not have Emancipation instead. This is based on a common history of their ancestors being enslaved which all African Americans share (I'm talking about the African American ethnic group that has lived in the US for centuries..not recent black immgirants from the African continent).
Emancipation day is already a recognized public holiday in many Caribbean islands and usually consists of reflecting on the past and looking forward. There's lots of parades, often a West African head of state is invited as a special guest of the Prime Minister and general reflection on the contributions of the slaves and their descendants to various facets of Caribbean life.
Interesting, the Emancipation Proclamation only freed those slaves in the Confederacy, and did not free any of the slaves in the north. Just look up Ulysses Grant's wife, and see that she owned several slaves all the way through the end of the civil war and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies