Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times

Advertisements

There is not a 1st grader on the face of this earth - your neice included - who will remain motionless, silent, with their eyes glued to the blackboard/teacher for hours at a time. At some point, they will fidget, play with their hair, notice their buddy in the seat next to them, etc. This little girl did what all little girls/boys do and while it may have been a disruption to the class, the teacher simply didn't handle the situation properly.

I find it very interesting that you are questioning other posters ability to judge the teacher, who was clearly in the wrong. Yet, you have not only judged a 7-year-old, but her mother and have concluded that she has not reared her daughter appropriately. You have no idea what/how the mother has instructed this child, yet you are so ready to conclude that she's just another victim of the ghetto. Absolutely pathetic...

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Actually, no. I have stated numerous times that the teachers consequence of the difiance was wrong and she should be punished. What we have been arguing though is whether or not the attitude of the childs mother and the childs ability to follow direction should be question.

I questioned the other posters ability to judge whether or not that request was warranted. Based on the article, she doesn't have the insight into the direction the teacher gave to make a judgement on the justification of the direction.

I have a neice in 1st grade. When I tell her to do something, she does it. She has been brought up to listen to and follow direction. If I have to tell her more then once, I am going to get angry. That is how I was raised, and thats how children in our family are raised. I question whether or not this type of upbringing is valued by the child and her mother.

That is all. Nothing more nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 AM

57 posts, read 115,076 times
When my daughter was little she would twist her hair when she was nervous. Her teacher hated it. I would get notes all the time. I'd try putting it in a ballerina ball. She would pull out a little piece of hair and twist it. She had very pretty curly hair. So when my daughter was sent to the office for being defiant, I went in to talk to the teacher. I wanted to explain it was a habit and she would outgrow it. My mom did the same thing when she was little. I asked if was she disrupting class or bothering her neighbor. The teacher said no. She had the nerve to tell me she went to school with a girl that tormented her that did the same thing to her hair! My daughter never got in trouble in school. She always did what she was suppose to do. This was something she couldn't help. Embarrassing her only made it worse.

Yes, children are suppose to behave in school. However, teachers are suppose to have common sense. If she had cut my daughter's hair to teach her a lesson, I would have called the police.

Maybe they should stand her in front of the school and cut part of her hair off.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:31 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
No child is perfect. No child's discipline is perfect. And when they act out the teacher should have the authority to impose consequences.
No one can argue against this point and very few do.
Cutting off a childs braid?
Slapping a child?
No form of physical abuse is warranted.
1. It is not a teachers job to attack a child.
2. It is against the law in most states.
3. Other forms of punishment are more effective.
I was that kid that liked to be anywhere but in class. I hated school and it was never fun for me to be in class. I behaved about as well as anyone else in my class. My parents would have killed me if I gave the teacher a hard time. I knew this. But still I had my moments.
The worst punishment that I ever received? write 500 times in 3 different colors each letter a different color. I will do my homework.
Ruined my weekend and it took all weekend. I would have preferred a beating any day over that.
I agree with the many posters. No teacher has the write to harm a child, cut her braid or hit the child. That teacher has anger issues or no self control and do not belong in a classroom.
I had teachers who hit me, and others. I can't recall learning much from them other than to be afraid when I walked into their classroom. No trust, no sense of security and certainly no passion to learn.
My favorite Teacher was strict but fair. English and Literature. The man taught me to read for pleasure. He is also the one that nailed me with the 500 times punishment assignment.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:50 PM

124 posts, read 270,905 times
We now know the teacher was white and unapologetic.
That explains a lot.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnuro View Post
That explains a lot.
What? Only white teachers are bad or only whites are unapologetic.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
That explains a lot.
Uh, that explains that she was white and that she was unapologetic.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What? Only white teachers are bad or only whites are unapologetic.

Assume much!

NO. It explains why they haven't given any info about her on the regular news. They didn't want people jumping to conclusions. We all agree she was a wrong for doing what she did. If they would have thrown race out there right away, it would have taken on a life of it's own. It shouldn't matter what color the teacher. The punishment should be the same.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Uh, that explains that she was white and that she was unapologetic.

See note above.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Assume much!

NO. It explains why they haven't given any info about her on the regular news. They didn't want people jumping to conclusions. We all agree she was a wrong for doing what she did. If they would have thrown race out there right away, it would have taken on a life of it's own. It shouldn't matter what color the teacher. The punishment should be the same.
In this case the teacher should have been fired on the spot. ORRRR allow the class to each take a snip of the teachers hair before said teacher is fired.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In this case the teacher should have been fired on the spot. ORRRR allow the class to each take a snip of the teachers hair before said teacher is fired.

That would've been fun to watch! But I guess being PC, it would have sent the wrong message to the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies