Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
What??? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME! You guys crack me up!! You're trying to cover your bases on all ends!! You basically just described what the earth has always done!! LOL....
It is so ridiculous that I assumed it had to be tongue-in-cheek. I hope so, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 06:31 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, the climate discussion involves both models and science. It is partially what makes the overall discussion so difficult, you have the problems with models, and conflicting outputs (sometimes based on corrupt data input) and then you also have scientific observation and measurement, about things like the size of various ice points in the north pole area.

While I agree that the information can be conflicting, at some point you have to do risk analysis and determine what direction you consider appropriate. I come down on the side that global warming is more likely legitimate than not, and it is possible that we are making it somewhat worse through our behavior. However, I think the risk has been oversold as a "known outcome" if nothing is done, and I agree with the article that many have financial incentives involved in scaring folks about global warming.

So, I conclude with we likely should try to do something constructive to take down those items contributing to global warming, but only at a marginal effort. If the Obama Administration was really serious about the matter, they would have gone in the direction of a "Carbon Tax" applied to those sources making the greatest problems, changing the economics of using those polluting processes. It would have allowed a transparent and targeted way of addressing the issue, and even those who disagree with global warming as a legit issue would know what to measure for future validation that the assumptions were correct or incorrect. A tax could then be adjusted, based on what is found at future measurement points for effectiveness.

However, the Obama folks have gone for an exceptionally contorted "Cap & Trade" system instead of a "Carbon Tax", and then further bastardize the clarity of the process via their "free distribution" of over 80% of the initial allowances.

So, one would have to conclude that the global warming issue for Obama actually presents yet another mechanism to back door income redistribution.
Energy companies have been trading poor and good emissions for $$$$ for years. I don't know if you'll believe a wiki link, but here it is:

Emissions trading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This didn't come about just in the Obama Presidency, this is nothing new. What is new, is the cap and trade cliche or name it's now being called. Your analogy of this administration bastardizing is unfounded, because trading $$$$ for polluting the air has been going on for a long time. There has always been a "carbon tax" for the worst polluters.

Appalachian Voice - Paying For Clean Air… Elsewhere

But, I do not expect you to believe me, read up on the subject yourself, you might form a different opinion.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:33 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
People still think they can judge climate by looking out their front window on any given day?

Why does this not surprise me?

Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I'm of the opinion that it's climate change. For evey action man does, there is a reaction. What is startling is the drop in the water table. In the great lakes region, water for drinking and other purposes has been sucked out of the ground since 1867, the water table is 900 feet lower now than it was back then.

Things are occurring globally that have either never happened and some people think it's man made. I guess it is possible it's man made.
it's happening all over china water levels dropping do to over use.

supposedly we are the smartest species that have ever walked the face of the earth..and we surly will be one of the shortest lived species that ever walked the face of earth.

if we are not careful we all might be living like this in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYr8MFTXrM

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
it's happening all over china water levels dropping do to over use.

supposedly we are the smartest species that have ever walked the face of the earth..and we surly will be one of the shortest lived species that ever walked the face of earth.

if we are not careful we all might be living like this in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYr8MFTXrM
I never have been a fan of Charelton Heston, but he is in this flick, Soylent Green

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVpN312hYgU

Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,317,511 times
Ironic you should refrence a movie that has such a police state, "one world order" theme to it.
No doubt the Obama team has watched on their movie nights together and been inspired.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
What??? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDIN' ME! You guys crack me up!! You're trying to cover your bases on all ends!! You basically just described what the earth has always done!! LOL....

TX was being sarcastic due to the "all scenarios support my position" arguments that some of the pro-AGW crowd are making.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Someday, maybe we'll all run out of fresh drinking water.

Ground-water depletion, USGS water science
We only have a million gallons a second or so pouring out the mouth of the Mississippi.

The only people I know with serious problems are those building heavily is arid areas like the Southwestern US or growing crops that are more water intensive (corn) for the areas waterfall instead of other grains.

So, unsustainable development and usage patterns will need to change...but the premise we might run out of fresh water is hyperbole.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
TX was being sarcastic due to the "all scenarios support my position" arguments that some of the pro-AGW crowd are making.
Bingo!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Bingo!
You forgot "more hurricanes", "fewer Hurricanes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies