Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:42 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
They are aye? Well, my lil' dude is a fan of that show, I'm surprised he hasn't said anything. I'll have to ask him if he knows about his favorite cartoon being a movie soon. Hmm, western actors for a live action re make of an Anime toon.

Here ya go:

The Last Airbender | Trailer & Official Movie Site | Summer 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good grief! There were people having heart attacks over Star Wars, saying that Jar Jar Binks was promoting racial stereotypes. This stuff is out of control. Folks need to lighten up a bit, and just see a movie for the fiction it is. Yes, many producers and directors like to steep their work in social commentary, and it does detract from the entertainment value of a movie, but, if thats all you look at , you won't ever enjoy a movie again. So, just take the good with the bad, and get what YOU want to get out of a movie. One does not have to agree with an embedded message to enjoy a film, and somebody is ALWAYS going to get bent about certain elements of film. What with this hypersensitivity we have allowed ourselves to be overcome with, it's a wonder that calls for 'bans' on certain things in film and literature have not actually been done. It's quite stupid when you think about it.
Yeah ... we saw it last night. Probably the best and most original movie we have seen in 10 years or more. And special effects that blow Lord of the Rings away. The story line is political only if viewers try to make it that way. It was a good overcoming evil and love story wrapped up into one

If it is intened to deliver a message, believe it or not, it's a good message. You don't forcefully take land that you don't have right to.

The critics of the movie seem to me to be the extremists. Because most criticism I read, focused on one political aspect.

You know what the critics don't like about it? Here, let me lay out facets of the movie that is being criticized:

1. Thou shalt not steal
2. Thou shalt not murder
3. Man and woman fall in love
4. Man and woman maintain marriage commitment, overcoming challenges
5. Forgveness
6. Freedom of religion
7. Putting one's life on the line to save other lives
8. Defending self and family
9. Embracing other cultures
10. Transfer of authority to someone who is responsible
11. Perserverence
12. Enjoyment of a well-stewarded land
13. Passing down education from generation to generation

This is the only film I can remember since 2000 that I'd call a masterpiece. It does not ever really need the characters to be built in advance, their character is sufficiently built as the movie plays.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM

300 posts, read 430,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Hannity forum posters & Fox hate it. I expect Limbaugh will be frothing over another left lib Hollywood attack on America.

Most consider me on "the right". I LOVED the movie!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Not that I plan to see it.
Why not?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
The bad guys in the movie are very much like the right wing in the US.

* They think we have the right to occupy other Countries against their will because we deem it necessary..

* They think we should resolve international conflicts using military force.

* The think they can exploit natural resources with no thought given to harm on the enviroment.

* They think it's OK to break laws if the "good guys" are doing it to go after the "bad guys".

* They think our vital interests trump International law.

* They approve of corporate security firms doing are fighting for us....i.e. Blackwater

I'm sure when this movie is seen all over the Western World the viewers will know the bad guys are the Americans. We are doing a real world version of this move in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hell, two days ago we fired missles into Yemen killing 23 women and children.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20091220...o-3cd7efd.html

Last edited by padcrasher; 12-21-2009 at 07:51 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I completely agree. Its a ****ing movie. Watch it for its entertainment value.
I'm a lefty. I did not find the movie racist at all. And I don't look to movies to get my political opinions anyway. I go to be entertained. No more, no less.

I found it visually stunning. The story was compelling, though there were certainly holes in it.

Leave your reality at the door, as well as your politics, don't expect perfection, and relax and you'll be entertained in my opinion.

Certainly not the greatest movie I've ever seen. But without a doubt, the 3D technology used was riveting and the best I've ever experienced.

All in all, well worth experiencing in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Near the end of the movie the narrator said "They are going back to a dying earth"

If the earth was dying...why exploit the new planet. Was the crystal being mined capable of saving the earth? Maybe I missed something.
It's a movie. Hellooooooooooooooooooo? Reality check.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The right friggin' hates everything...
You are so wrong

Old 12-21-2009, 08:01 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I found the story line predictable and simple, and although long, it was very entertaining movie. ...
Agree. The over the top behavior of the the tough bad guy Colonel was an annoying feature along with all his predictable tough guy lines. The anti-imperialist leanings were obvious, but apply to many nations who are exploiting the resources of other nations without regard to the sovereignty of those nations and their people. They could just as easily have cast Wall Street types as the villains, though there was a slight mention of meeting quarterly earnings reports.

I feel a lot like I felt after seeing Star Wars 30+ years ago; ripped off. It was the same old shoot'em up western with good guy / bad guy and nice guy gets the girl for a happy ending. Space ships instead of horses. Light sabres instead of swords or six shooters. Outer space cantina instead of Miss Kitty's Saloon. Avatar engendered similar feelings as I watched: same formulaic story line, different special effects.

If right wing talking heads want to go ape over some perceived anti-American theme, then I guess they have a guilty conscience. Maybe they just need an enemy they can point to in order to raise fear and raise donations. Any day now James Dobson will save us from perdition yet again by pointing out that the Navi people have gay tendencies, what with all that living amongst nature and and other yucky stuff.

Still, the movie was a piece of marvelous magic, the 3D aspects were enjoyable, and I certainly recommend it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Oh come on you nay sayers. Go see it. Stop being so stubborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies