Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,160 times

Advertisements

When looking for information about any political topic, everything is presented as a "blog" or an editorial -- or Wikipedia, which is user-edited. It seems like one has to go straight to government documents and pore through them to just get a summary.

The news media, no matter which network or publication, all seem to have some sort of bias or editorial spin to it.

I think that this environment further polarizes the United States and obfuscates easy access to information.

It seems like one has to devote an inordinate amount of time trying to get facts and more or less objective data about anything.

Am I alone in this observation, sentiment, and frustration?

Sure, there will be partisan responses and outlooks (this news channel versus that one, etc), but let's think for a minute about journalism and access to information. It seems like, with our current technology, we have much more opportunity to voice our opinions but at the sacrifice of having less access to the information that allows us to be more objectively informed.

This is a trend I've observed over the past 10 years or so, and I do see a direct correlation to Internet usage -- however, it's manifested in the print and broadcast media more as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 AM

221 posts, read 228,649 times
Reuters, BBC are 2 among the few.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
That is the result of the media consolidating into a handful of companies. A better situation would be the elimination of the licensing that holds the public airwaves under Government control. How about giving back to the public the spectrum that used to be dedicated to analog TV?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,293 times
Yeah, I agree. Look at Faux News showing BS and not real news.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:02 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID65 View Post
Reuters, BBC are 2 among the few.
ROTFL. Are you serious?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:08 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,265,668 times
Don't expect to get it from certain people on here either. They loooooooove to post blog links & then present it as "fact". It's a daily occurrence, perhaps you've noticed?

Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
Real news is no fun. You never find anything heavily weighted to one issue or another, nothing completely insane, nothing that polarizes people to the degree that the fake stuff does. Even better when you have photoshopped images.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:19 PM

331 posts, read 498,645 times
Well, start your own news organization. There's nothing stopping you. I think that "Big News" has tailored their selection of anchors, and their individual partisan coverage of news stories, to their viewership. CNN is liberal. FOX News is conservative. We have Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly as our commentators, again, because FOX News has a large conservative viewership. If you want to start your own nonpartisan news organization, go ahead. I'll give it a watch/listen.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
I read Financial Times and The Guardian sites.

You get more US news from foreign sites than here in the US. The US sites only seem to be concerned about what's happening with celebraties and their sordid escapades.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,800 times
You are not alone. When Charlie Gibson retired I was thinking that he was one of the few news people left that, after watching him for many years, I still did not have the slightest idea if he is a democrat, republican, or neither. There are very few real news sources left. More and more sound like the National Enquirer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies