Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times

Advertisements

Steve Forbes is just trying to maximize his profit... cause the truth of it is that if he didn't have to provide health insurance then his workers will have to provide it which means he would have to increase their salary... there is no difference between paying now or later, he still ends up paying it... what he is trying to do is push that burden on other people... Citizens pay the most taxes in this country... its a shame that corporatism is alive as ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:20 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think Steve Forbes is a very smart guy. One example is the Auto Industry.
Though it is an old stat it proves his point:

For General Motors, health care costs add $1,525 to the price of every car that leaves the lot and the company estimates that it spent $5.2 billion on health care benefits in 2004, more than it paid for steel.
that's a very simplistic way of putting it .... how much of that $1525 in health insurance goes to cover injuries on the factory floor of Ford? If that employee was on their own to cover their healthcare expenses and they get hurt, it would end up costing a heck of a lot more.

employer's pooling of insurance company plans to help out their employees shouldn't be banned, just like this stupid mandate for health insurance is a boon for the healthcare industry. Nobody is making empolyers offer health insurance and that should remain.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,727,398 times
Employers provide group health insurance to their employees because that is what the majority of potential employees demand. You want the best employees, you meet the demand; otherwise potential employees will find job elsewhere.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:33 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Steve Forbes is just trying to maximize his profit... cause the truth of it is that if he didn't have to provide health insurance then his workers will have to provide it which means he would have to increase their salary... there is no difference between paying now or later, he still ends up paying it... what he is trying to do is push that burden on other people... Citizens pay the most taxes in this country... its a shame that corporatism is alive as ever...
Why do you think that he would have to increase salaries to cover private insurance? Sure, it would be nice, but millions of people have both low salaries and no employer provided insurance. Of course he's trying to push the burden on other people. That's a given.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Employers provide group health insurance to their employees because that is what the majority of potential employees demand. You want the best employees, you meet the demand; otherwise potential employees will find job elsewhere.
By banning employers from providing the insurance you eliminate that problem.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
that's a very simplistic way of putting it .... how much of that $1525 in health insurance goes to cover injuries on the factory floor of Ford? If that employee was on their own to cover their healthcare expenses and they get hurt, it would end up costing a heck of a lot more.
None. That's what workman's comp insurance is for. Totally separate type of insurance.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:19 AM

567 posts, read 1,745,448 times
Employeers seem to already be getting out of the health care business. In the last 10 years the employees are sharing the cost 50/50 where I work, and for 10 years our premiums have went up almost every year. The last three years cost of living has been sky rocketing. I am a conservative, and oppose the bill we are being force fed, but something has to happen and in the next several years. Those in the real world that makes below real world wages are hurting the worst.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 AM

567 posts, read 1,745,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
It is not that I demanded it, but it is part of the benefits that I was looking for and given to me when I hired in. To take it away is to take a pay cut. Then I go looking for a better job. I guess I am agreeing with you. Not only potential employees.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarges Dad View Post
Employeers seem to already be getting out of the health care business. In the last 10 years the employees are sharing the cost 50/50 where I work, and for 10 years our premiums have went up almost every year. The last three years cost of living has been sky rocketing. I am a conservative, and oppose the bill we are being force fed, but something has to happen and in the next several years. Those in the real world that makes below real world wages are hurting the worst.
yep! our health benefits via hubby's employer are getting more and more expensive with higher deductibles. next year, they are moving toward those health savings accounts where I have to carry around some kind of debit card when we go to the doctor ... it's all so confusing. I remember when I entered the workforce in the 1990's, it was easy peasy ... $10 co-pay, $5 drugs, boom, done ... I miss those days. With our family of 5 (3 kids under 10) ... this is going to stink.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Why do you think that he would have to increase salaries to cover private insurance? Sure, it would be nice, but millions of people have both low salaries and no employer provided insurance. Of course he's trying to push the burden on other people. That's a given.
Why? Cause he would pocket that money himself... is this what you are advocating, making the richer and the poor, even more poor? Low salaries and no insurance? Isn't that what Medicaid is for? He is pushing the burden on the people while he enjoys the wealth that belongs to the workers? Do you work for Enron?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies