Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:20 PM

203 posts, read 162,921 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the title of this thread. I just wanted people to read it, so I named it what I did. It worked, you are reading it. Actually, I want to find out why people are either "Liberal" or "Conservative". I want to find out what it is they like about "their" side, not so much what they dislike about the "other" side.

I would classify myself as a moderate conservative, not a Republican. I don't want to get into a bash session over who is worse, a Republican or a Democrat, but it would be interesting the hear from everyone on what it is they like about liberalism or conservatism. I lean more towards being a conservative because of the following reasons:

I believe the free market does a much better job of keeping things in balance than government involvement does.

I believe people should be encouraged to improve their lives by working hard for it, not being limited by relying on government funding.

I believe the lower taxes are, the better the economy runs.

I believe in equal rights for all (exactly the same) and not more for one than the other.

I believe the people should be able to decide what is right for themselves and not have government programs dictate it.

I think this can be a fun thread, as long as we do not get angry with each others opinion. Let's see if we can enlighten each other to the GOOD of each side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,887 times
southpoint....they are all the reasons why I became a conservative. The more liberal views stopped making sense to me. But that is what makes the world go round! If we all thought alike it would make for a boring world!!!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:58 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,621 times
I thought I read this post somewhere else too?

Anyway, a good idea and I have to admit the topic made me look :-)

Personally I'm tired of everything having to be one way or the other when it comes to politics. I believe it's important to have your own opinion on each issue and not having to believe one way or the other just because of party affiliation.

However, I have to disagree with some of the statements of the OP on this. Yes, the free market does a better job at keeping prices in balance, but I don't feel like it does a good of keeping a balance between people. Usually the gap between rich and poor will widen with a free market. I believe that for the most part should be a relatively free market but that some government regulation is needed to ensure we keep somewhat of a balance.

I agree with you that hard word should pay off, but I think it goes too far when people are working crazy hours just to get by. The quality of life is often short-changed by not having enough time to spend with your family and enjoy any success. There definitely should be an incentive to be successful by making education more affordable and less dependancy on government funding (but I think a safety net is quite important).

Yes, equal rights for everybody is great - reading between your lines though it sounds like you think discrimination against homosexuals would be viewed as a "special right" or am I misunderstanding?

What do you mean by people having the right to decide for themselves what's right for them? I mean if a person thinks murder is right, that doesn't make it right, that's why we have laws. Do you care to elaborate on this point?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:14 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,470,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
I believe the free market does a much better job of keeping things in balance than government involvement does.
You probably wouldn't have thought that in 1932.

Quote:
I believe people should be encouraged to improve their lives by working hard for it, not being limited by relying on government funding.
So make wounded Iraqi vets get out and pay for all those fancy prosthetic devices?

Quote:
I believe the lower taxes are, the better the economy runs.
The federal government collected $1.9 billion in taxes in 1932, less than a third of what it had collected in 1920.

Quote:
I believe in equal rights for all (exactly the same) and not more for one than the other.
No more prisons, then?

Quote:
I believe the people should be able to decide what is right for themselves and not have government programs dictate it.
No more laws at all, then?

The point here is that you're trying to make grand principles out of everything. Just do this, that, and the other thing, and everything will be alright. The real world is far from being such a simple place as that, so you can't be tied to such over-arching inflexibility. Every situation arrives de novo. You need to allow yourself the freedom to deal with them as such...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:32 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,621 times
Great post Saganista, and by the way, many vets are having to care for their medical needs. The government is declining disability for many eligable vets, and it's really a shame. That's when I get so tired about conservatives saying they are the ones who care for the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You probably wouldn't have thought that in 1932.

So make wounded Iraqi vets get out and pay for all those fancy prosthetic devices?

The federal government collected $1.9 billion in taxes in 1932, less than a third of what it had collected in 1920.

No more prisons, then?

No more laws at all, then?

The point here is that you're trying to make grand principles out of everything. Just do this, that, and the other thing, and everything will be alright. The real world is far from being such a simple place as that, so you can't be tied to such over-arching inflexibility. Every situation arrives de novo. You need to allow yourself the freedom to deal with them as such...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM

203 posts, read 162,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I thought I read this post somewhere else too?

Anyway, a good idea and I have to admit the topic made me look :-)

Personally I'm tired of everything having to be one way or the other when it comes to politics. I believe it's important to have your own opinion on each issue and not having to believe one way or the other just because of party affiliation.

However, I have to disagree with some of the statements of the OP on this. Yes, the free market does a better job at keeping prices in balance, but I don't feel like it does a good of keeping a balance between people. Usually the gap between rich and poor will widen with a free market. I believe that for the most part should be a relatively free market but that some government regulation is needed to ensure we keep somewhat of a balance.

I agree with you that hard word should pay off, but I think it goes too far when people are working crazy hours just to get by. The quality of life is often short-changed by not having enough time to spend with your family and enjoy any success. There definitely should be an incentive to be successful by making education more affordable and less dependancy on government funding (but I think a safety net is quite important).

Yes, equal rights for everybody is great - reading between your lines though it sounds like you think discrimination against homosexuals would be viewed as a "special right" or am I misunderstanding?

What do you mean by people having the right to decide for themselves what's right for them? I mean if a person thinks murder is right, that doesn't make it right, that's why we have laws. Do you care to elaborate on this point?
I agree with you on having your own thoughts. That is why I did not say Democrat or Republican. I vote Democrat sometimes and Republican others. Sticking to party lines is what is causing such a divide now.

As much as possible, I would try to eliminate cash funding to people from the government. I am talking long term payments for people that can work, not people that have been injured and definately not Vets. In my world, vetereans would be taken care of very nicely. I would prefer to offer free daycare to single parents, so they can work, rather than free money so they can stay home (trust me...I know about this one. Half my family has been on the welfare system and have 100% totally been able to work). Again, incentive to move forward with your life, rather than being stuck in a situation. I would guarantee education to EVERYONE. Not free, but guaranteed paid for now, if you do not have the funds, but a 100% payback at an affordable rate when you work. Again, incentive to do better.

Equal rights for all, means no special right because of anything. No special right for a religious, ethnic or sexual reason. You, me and everyone else gets the same rights. No more, no less. There have been unfortuante situations in the past, but let's move forward....finally.

Right to decide for myself....is obviously within reasonable moral standards. I do not want government programs deciding where I work, what I do or which doctor I can choose. I want the right to do what I want, when I want, UNLESS it negatively affects someone else. IE I cannot drink and drive, shoot someone, steal from someone.

Anyhow, I want everyones opinion on why they choose to be Liberal or Conservative.

Last edited by Southpoint; 05-20-2007 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: One of many typo's

Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM

130 posts, read 155,549 times
I'am a conservative because of the traditional beliefs amongst alot of other reasons.I do think both repubs and dems have stopped listening to voters and only listen to big business and lobbyist.Therefore, i tend to say i'am only a conservative.I think this country needs to take back our country both dems and repubs.
If you actually knew how your voted officials voted it would surprise you i think everyone here needs to do a little research on there voted officials it might surprise you.Recently every Democrat voted to NOT have English as the official language.But, i'am sure every Dem knew this.......right?

Old 05-20-2007, 06:55 PM

375 posts, read 781,975 times
Here is a more interesting question: What suposedly is the definition of a "liberal" and a "conservative"? I personally think both terms are used inappropriately. And I agree, our politicians are basically high paid whores to special interest. The American political system is a joke.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:27 PM

22,915 posts, read 28,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Here is a more interesting question: What suposedly is the definition of a "liberal" and a "conservative"? I personally think both terms are used inappropriately. And I agree, our politicians are basically high paid whores to special interest.
I agree. "Liberal" or "conservative" certainly doesn't describe me. I have some views that most folks would certainly describe as very conservative, but I have other views that are very, very liberal. Neither major political party speaks for the views I hold. It makes it really hard to vote on election day.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:19 PM

9,889 posts, read 10,820,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I agree. "Liberal" or "conservative" certainly doesn't describe me. I have some views that most folks would certainly describe as very conservative, but I have other views that are very, very liberal. Neither major political party speaks for the views I hold. It makes it really hard to vote on election day.
I think you are being just a tad bit disingenuous, in the other thread you just said you agree with about "90%" of Dennis Kucinich's views! 75% of his views puts you so far out in left feild your into wacky territory! Be proud, my freind be proud! To me liberal is a dirty word, but if thats you embrace it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies