Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

The ugly side of Evangelical Christianity is very much to blame for the anti-Obama hyperventilating.

The fact is that if you're going to blame one group above all others for the willful ignorance and continuing ugliness of the response to President Obama the best candidate would be the evangelical/fundamentalist community. The angry part of the South Carter spoke of is racist because it's dominated by a certain type of "Christian" culture.

The key to understanding the Evangelicals is to understand the popularity of the Left Behind series of books about the "return of Christ" (and the whole host of other End Times "ministries" from the ever weirder Jack-the-Rapture-is-coming!-Van-Impe to the smoother but no less bizarre pages of Christianity Today magazine). This isn't some new or sudden interest in prophecy, but evidence of the deepening inferiority complex suffered by the evangelical/fundamentalist community.

This has led to a profound fear of the "other." Jenkins and LaHaye (the Left Behind authors) provide the ultimate revenge fantasy for the culturally left behind against the "elite." The Left Behind franchise holds out hope for the self-disenfranchised that at last soon everyone will know "we" were right and "they" were wrong. They'll know because Spaceship Jesus will come back and whisk "us" away, leaving everyone else to ponder just how very lost they are because they refused to say the words, "I accept Jesus as my personal savior" and join our side while there was still time!

Right-Wing Hatemongering Fueled by Christianity? | Belief | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
I do not think it is Christianity itself that is the problem. The purest form of Christianity is to follow Christ. Christ was a very loving, fair, gentle man. As an Atheist, I have a LOT of respect for Christ.

It is the extreme people who take everything LITERALLY that are the hate mongering people.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
True Christians don't have any hate. I really think it's a small portion of Republicans that have views like this, it's just the emptiest barrell makes the loudest noise....

Old 12-29-2009, 11:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I do not think it is Christianity itself that is the problem. The purest form of Christianity is to follow Christ. Christ was a very loving, fair, gentle man. As an Atheist, I have a LOT of respect for Christ.

It is the extreme people who take everything LITERALLY that are the hate mongering people.
I absolutely agree. The author of the article clearly states that it is the whacko Evangelicals.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:57 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
Meaningless thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I fear religion in this country, I think that it will ultimately destroy the US and turn it into an xian Iran.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I fear religion in this country, I think that it will ultimately destroy the US and turn it into an xian Iran.
Followers of Malcolm X? Pathological, simply pathological.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Nah, don't worry. The hardcore religious types are dwindling in number; that's why they're constantly insisting that they're being stigmatized and marginalized. They're playing defense now.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I don't know.
I currently live in a xian country and they're nowhere as whacked as the US xians.
They don't commit violence or spew hatred in the name of their god.

I hope you're right, AUM.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:24 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
I don't know.
I currently live in a xian country and they're nowhere as whacked as the US xians.
They don't commit violence or spew hatred in the name of their god.

I hope you're right, AUM.
The decrease in religiosity is a slow process, but take some comfort in this:

"Polls show that the ranks of atheists are growing. The American Religious Identification Survey, a major study released last month, found that those who claimed “no religion” were the only demographic group that grew in all 50 states in the last 18 years.

Nationally, the “nones” in the population nearly doubled, to 15 percent in 2008 from 8 percent in 1990. In South Carolina, they more than tripled, to 10 percent from 3 percent."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/us/27atheist.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies