Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times

Advertisements

Last week we had two police officers brandishing their weapons in non lethal situations. One because his Hummer got hit with a snow ball and another because he thought his service was too slow at McDonald's. Now we have a police officer sexually assaulting young girls.

Are these incidents on the rise? What is happening with our police in this country?

Charlotte police officer charged with 2 sex crimes - Breaking News - TheState.com (http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/1091322.html - broken link)

"Police say one of their own officers pulled over two young women while on duty and sexually assaulted them in his police cruiser within the last two weeks."

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 08:43 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Unfortunately the police departments in this country have to obtain their candidates from the general public, therefore some will slip through the cracks. You have abusive electric workers, rapists that turn out to be teachers, robbers that work for fire departments, drug dealers that work as attorneys........The percentage of police officers that turn out to be "bad" are far less of a percentage when compared to the general public. When they are caught violating the public trust and committing crimes they should be indicted and punished to the fullest extent of the law. Unfortunately posts like yours tend to bring the wackadoos out of the cracks that will brush everyone with very broad strokes and assume that a "majority" or "all" of the police officers serving the people in this country are "bad" or "corrupt" which isn't close to being true.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Ironically the bad cops are the protected ones.

Government cya mentality combined with union protectionism makes it very difficult to eliminate and or reprimand bad cops.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the ambition of every street thug, put the cops no trial 24/7. a chicago favorite-- put rocks and ice in the snowball.
1st the sheep dogs then the sheep. busy busy.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the ambition of every street thug, put the cops no trial 24/7. a chicago favorite-- put rocks and ice in the snowball.
1st the sheep dogs then the sheep. busy busy.
qbjdsjhddhq!!!!!

woof woof.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Unfortunately the police departments in this country have to obtain their candidates from the general public, therefore some will slip through the cracks. You have abusive electric workers, rapists that turn out to be teachers, robbers that work for fire departments, drug dealers that work as attorneys........The percentage of police officers that turn out to be "bad" are far less of a percentage when compared to the general public. When they are caught violating the public trust and committing crimes they should be indicted and punished to the fullest extent of the law. Unfortunately posts like yours tend to bring the wackadoos out of the cracks that will brush everyone with very broad strokes and assume that a "majority" or "all" of the police officers serving the people in this country are "bad" or "corrupt" which isn't close to being true.
I disagree. Of course there are bad apples in every walk of life but there are more bad apples among the ranks of the police than any other occupation. The reason for this is that power has a tendency to corrupt. There are people who may not otherwise have become corrupt who do become corrupt once exposed to the power that the police have over other people.

Also, because of the power that the police have over other people, this occupation attracks more people who are already corrupt or are predisposed to being corrupt.

Finally, being a police officer is basically a blue collar job that does not require a college degree or a great deal of intelligence unlike the lawyers and teachers that you mention as well as many other occupations in business such as accountants or the professions such as doctors. The average intelligence of the police is probably lower than the average intelligence of the population as a whole and is certainly lower than business and professional occupations.

Again, I understand that there are exceptions but I believe that people of less intelligence are more easily corrupted than people of more intelligence.

The police need to do a better job of screening out people who may have a grudge against other racial or ethnic groups whether it's a black who harbors resentment, bitterness and anger toward whites or a white nationalist who just doesn't like blacks or a muslim who doesn't like people of 'western culture'. There may be a fair amount of this racial and ethnic animosity going on as well that seems to bubble to the surface once one has gained power over others.

So there you have it. Now you tell me why it is that you think there are no more bad apples among the police than there are in any other occupation or walk of life? That is other than telling me that there are bad apples in any occupation.

- Reel

Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I disagree. Of course there are bad apples in every walk of life but there are more bad apples among the ranks of the police than any other occupation. The reason for this is that power has a tendency to corrupt. There are people who may not otherwise have become corrupt who do become corrupt once exposed to the power that the police have over other people.

Also, because of the power that the police have over other people, this occupation attracks more people who are already corrupt or are predisposed to being corrupt.
I think rather than "corrupt", the issue is hunger for power and the ability to use it.

I don't think the incidences are more common, I think with cameras all over the place -- police cars and everyone's cell phone -- the incidences are being documented and police can't deny their actions. Consequently, the public is more aware of police who abuse their power and are more willing to believe that it could happen when there are no cameras present.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I think rather than "corrupt", the issue is hunger for power and the ability to abuse it.

I don't see the difference. Let's just say that is part of what I mean by 'corruption'.

I don't think the incidences are more common, I think with cameras all over the place -- police cars and everyone's cell phone -- the incidences are being documented and police can't deny their actions. Consequently, the public is more aware of police who abuse their power and are more willing to believe that it could happen when there are no cameras present.
I think it IS more common with the police. They have more power than most. More power equals more corruptions (abuse of power).

- Reel

Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
So there you have it. Now you tell me why it is that you think there are no more bad apples among the police than there are in any other occupation or walk of life? That is other than telling me that there are bad apples in any occupation.

- Reel
I am a big supporter of law-enforcement. I have family members and friends that are police-officers and I am offended by what you are saying.
Being a Police Officer is not the same as being a Teacher or a Nurse or a cashier at grocery-store. Cops put their life on the line everyday to protect you.
It is obvious to me that you have had a lot of bad experiences with cops. I have never had a bad experience so I wonder why that is. How innocent are you? Really?
A few weeks a go 4 police officers was murdered in cold blood at a coffee shop in Tacoma/Parkland Washington. The man who shot them was black. What if I said that-most black people hate cops and want them dead-
Would that be a fair statement to you?
There are bad cops, There are corrupted lawyers and judges. There are priests that are pedophiles. There are teachers that have sex with their students. It all happens all the time. We don't always hear about it. But that doesn't mean that they are by any means a majority.
You hear about the bad cops on the news. Why wouldn't you. That makes great news, doesn't it.
Anyways, I found your post very offensive , thumbs down to you!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I am a big supporter of law-enforcement. I have family members and friends that are police-officers and I am offended by what you are saying.
Ok.

Being a Police Officer is not the same as being a Teacher or a Nurse or a cashier at grocery-store. Cops put their life on the line everyday to protect you.
Exactly my point.

It is obvious to me that you have had a lot of bad experiences with cops. I have never had a bad experience so I wonder why that is. How innocent are you? Really?
I have never had a bad experience with the police.

A few weeks a go 4 police officers was murdered in cold blood at a coffee shop in Tacoma/Parkland Washington. The man who shot them was black. What if I said that-most black people hate cops and want them dead-
Would that be a fair statement to you?
That was a senseless tragedy and has nothing to do with my point.

There are bad cops, There are corrupted lawyers and judges. There are priests that are pedophiles. There are teachers that have sex with their students. It all happens all the time. We don't always hear about it. But that doesn't mean that they are by any means a majority.
Yeah, I know. I've addressed this in my posts.

You hear about the bad cops on the news. Why wouldn't you. That makes great news, doesn't it.
Yes I do and yes it does.

Anyways, I found your post very offensive , thumbs down to you!
Ok. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me.
I understand that you are offended but I haven't said anything that is not true. Nothing I've said is meant to demean the vast majority of police officers who are fine people.

There is nothing in your post that is untrue but there is nothing in your post that even attempts to refute anything that I've said either. It's just a post to tell folks that you are upset by what I've posted. As I said, that's ok.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies