Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:52 AM

28 posts, read 15,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
soldiers are put into the line of fire by politicians, and the orders that they give. if you truly believe that any soldier that gives the ultimate sacrifice of their life is not doing so to let the people of the USA have their freedom, then I expect you and others to be out there holding a rifle, in uniform, and in a foxhole.
I proposed the question, you have to answer it if you feel different. Once you do that, i'll give a retort. That's how it works.

You will not expect me, nor will I fight someone's WAR for their political/financial gain. The wars that we have fought since WWII have nothing to do with our freedom. If im wrong, prove it. That's what im asking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
soldiers are put into the line of fire by politicians, and the orders that they give. if you truly believe that any soldier that gives the ultimate sacrifice of their life is not doing so to let the people of the USA have their freedom, then I expect you and others to be out there holding a rifle, in uniform, and in a foxhole.
I believe that the soldiers always believe they are doing a very noble task, because they are told that repeatedly. The problem is, most wars is soooo far from necessary and noble that it boggles me how people are consistently brainwashed into believing that old tired "fighting for our freedoms" line.

I am just really getting tired of our pre-emptive and aggressive attitudes toward war.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
No matter the reasoning, they are brave American Men and Women, who leave there parents and siblings behind, they leave there Wives, Husbands, and Children behind. their lives are put on hold. And they see themselves in a Foreign Land. They see the brutality of War, and Fight they say is for our Freedom. Our eyes have seen the pain and suffering, the horrors of What War is. You close your eyes at night, and see the horrors in your dreams. You are happy beyond control, and scream so loudly when ENEMIES hit the ground. On my way back home, to face the Haunting dreams alone. I have no regrets my dedication and love for God gave me the strength to do my service, and come back home. I Sacrificed and put my life on hold, So when i return back home I know we will be safe.

To all our Men and Women who serve OUR COUNTRY with Pride and DIGNITY, i thank them from the bottom of my heart. What ever the reason, there bravery is deeply appreciated.
That they are brave is pretty undeniable. I'd add to that disciplined(in most cases). But don't you think those guys who wage war against the mightiest army in human history using old kalashnikovs and rpgs have a bit of mettle themselves? We'd say that it's different, because they are fighting for the wrong thing. But that would be proving my point. It isn't so much the bravery as what you do with it. Because one can do some incredibly foul things with bravery.

So I feel nothing but profound sympathy for those men and women who signed up believing that their actions would help their friends and family and countrymen and even humanity's futures and who are now being made to put that bravery and discipline and selflessness to an unrelated use.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingLiberal View Post
This is something I've thought about for quite sometime. Im sure many people will be "outraged" by me saying this, but isn't the whole saying "our soldiers are fighting/dying for our freedom" not really an accurate sentiment? I mean, come on, Iraq, Nam, Korea? None of these wars were fought for our "freedom".
Furthermore, it's been decades since we really fought for our freedom. I think WWII might have been the last time that we truly fought for our freedom.
And before WWII i can only think of two other wars, the Revolution (American) and the war of 1812.

I guess it's just a feel good sentiment. Am I way off base? What say you?
Iran is knocking on your door and they are not as open minded about somethings as some folks. What are you gonna do, let them in and have tea? or get a gun and shoot?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:18 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingLiberal View Post
This is something I've thought about for quite sometime. Im sure many people will be "outraged" by me saying this, but isn't the whole saying "our soldiers are fighting/dying for our freedom" not really an accurate sentiment? I mean, come on, Iraq, Nam, Korea? None of these wars were fought for our "freedom".
Furthermore, it's been decades since we really fought for our freedom. I think WWII might have been the last time that we truly fought for our freedom.
And before WWII i can only think of two other wars, the Revolution (American) and the war of 1812.

I guess it's just a feel good sentiment. Am I way off base? What say you?
Wow, someone besides me needed to say this for once. Thank you.

(I don't think WW2 qualifies and am not too sure if 1812 was strictly necessary. The Revolution, heck yes.)

Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I agree with you, but at the same time I believe every war we fought had good intentions at the time.
That's why cynicism is healthy.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
To all our Men and Women who serve OUR COUNTRY with Pride and DIGNITY, i thank them from the bottom of my heart. What ever the reason, there bravery is deeply appreciated.
What if the reason is that they want to go over and find occasions to loot, rape, and murder? That has been the normal course of U.S. historical interventionism, after all.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Iran is knocking on your door and they are not as open minded about somethings as some folks. What are you gonna do, let them in and have tea? or get a gun and shoot?
When Iran has 150,000 or so troops of their troops on our Mexican border and 50,000 more on our Canadian border, then your idiotic question may have some meaning.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:27 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
What if the reason is that they want to go over and find occasions to loot, rape, and murder? That has been the normal course of U.S. historical interventionism, after all.
And what if they would like to come here and do the same...profile please....

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
And what if they would like to come here and do the same...profile please....
Normally they don't. In fact, nearly always they don't.

Even the Cold War turned out to be a bit of a joke, at least after Uncle Joe kicked the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies