Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
The thing I have a problem with is, as said in a previous post, that the very mention of God anywhere is under attack, the Pledge of Allegiance, the In God we Trust on our money. Cant people who dont agree with what our founding fathers believed or stood on just not do it if it offends them, instead of making such a big issue out of it?
I think it wouldn't be such a big issue if those conservative "vocal minority" (again for lack of a better way to put it) hadn't made it such a big deal that people who didn't agree would have to attach Christianity as a whole to make their point. For example: No one cared about the pledge of allegiance until a parent had to bring a lawsuit against a public school so their child didn't have to say it in school because they disagreed with it. If the Christian conservatives at the school would have just accepted that this child (I think it was a Jehovah Witness if my memory is correct) was not going to say it, it would have gone away.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I think it wouldn't be such a big issue if those conservative "vocal minority" (again for lack of a better way to put it) hadn't made it such a big deal that people who didn't agree would have to attach Christianity as a whole to make their point. For example: No one cared about the pledge of allegiance until a parent had to bring a lawsuit against a public school so their child didn't have to say it in school because they disagreed with it. If the Christian conservatives at the school would have just accepted that this child (I think it was a Jehovah Witness if my memory is correct) was not going to say it, it would have gone away.
I honestly, in that case of the pledge, didnt think the parent went to the school board and complained first, I thought that the parent just took it upon themselves to oppose the "under God" part of the Pledge. That was the story I got out of it, maybe it was incorrect.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Well actually I didn't take Silas to be disagreeing that diversity was good, but maybe I read her post wrong. As for forced assimilation, which is the only way all would assimilate that is definitely NOT what this country or the Constitution was founded on.
Actually Irishmom, I am not a big fan of diversity, we are supposed to be a melting pot, meaning everyone who comes here melts into OUR culture! Oh FWI I would be a he!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Oh FWI I would be a he!
thought that would be obvious by your name!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:05 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
The thing I have a problem with is, as said in a previous post, that the very mention of God anywhere is under attack, the Pledge of Allegiance, the In God we Trust on our money. Cant people who dont agree with what our founding fathers believed or stood on just not do it if it offends them, instead of making such a big issue out of it?
Exactly. Why is it suddenly not acceptable?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I dont think that the conservative "vocal" minority would have been so vocal on the issue is so many far left "vocals" would have left it alone as well. Im sure the ACLU was involved in that as well. Personally I like the ACLJ, you can check them out and see what you think at

www.aclj.org

Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Actually Irishmom, I am not a big fan of diversity, we are supposed to be a melting pot, meaning everyone who comes here melts into OUR culture! Oh FWI I would be a he!
Woops! I think everyone is a she here until told otherwise...sorry!

Well assimilation and the term melting pot are not the same at all. Melting pot means that people come here with their cultural identities and while fully embracing and participating in american culture still retain their own identities and practices of their original cultures. More of a marriage of cultures. That is why people use the term Italian American, African American, Native American, etc...to show they are both.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I dont think that the conservative "vocal" minority would have been so vocal on the issue is so many far left "vocals" would have left it alone as well. Im sure the ACLU was involved in that as well. Personally I like the ACLJ, you can check them out and see what you think at

www.aclj.org
The point still being in a perfect world if everyone just respected one another's beliefs and respected the separation of church and state in this country they could co-exist with peace.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The point still being in a perfect world if everyone just respected one another's beliefs and respected the separation of church and state in this country they could co-exist with peace.
I wouldnt even have a gripe personally if they(whoever opposes what this country was founded on) would have respected the fact this country was founded Under God.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I wouldnt even have a gripe personally if they(whoever opposes what this country was founded on) would have respected the fact this country was founded Under God.
Ahh, but who's God was it founded under? That would be what the fight is actually about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies