Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:02 AM

954 posts, read 813,440 times

Advertisements

In yet another display of unmitigated arrogance, while giving the commencement speech at recently deceased fundmentalist minister Jerry Falwell's Liberty University, American politico Newt Gingrich called for an attack on "radical secularism." Gingrich's hypocritical "holier-than-thou" stance is particularly amusing in light of the fact that he is a twice-divorced known adulterer.

For the rest of the story
http://TBKNews.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:31 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
"Too often, the courts have been biased against religious believers. This anti-religious bias must end..."
(From Newt)

I just don't understand? I seriously don't, can't get what he's trying to say here. All the courts have done is attempt to ensure that all people in America get the same basic amenities in the public square, while having the freedom to apply their own personal beliefs in their private squares.

Live, let live, and respect. It's not that difficult, folks.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:45 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
(From Newt)
Quote:
"Too often, the courts have been biased against religious believers. This anti-religious bias must end..."
I just don't understand? I seriously don't, can't get what he's trying to say here. All the courts have done is attempt to ensure that all people in America get the same basic amenities in the public square, while having the freedom to apply their own personal beliefs in their private squares.

Live, let live, and respect. It's not that difficult, folks.
Very simple. The Conservatives want to turn this country into a Christian version of Iran (i.e. ruled by clerics, following religious law), and they can use democracy to do it too since they're in the majority (at least in many parts of the country). When the courts strike down there obviously-unconsitutional laws, they're obviously being anti-religious! It's essentially like a mugger complaining when you fight back that you're infringing on his right to make a decent living.

Don't let the fact that this country is immune to tyranny simply because it's a democracy. Democracies suffer from tyranny of the majority at the expense of the minorities. G.W. keeps claiming that if we can spread democracy around the world, then all problems will be solved. Which is very odd, since Iran (part of the axis of evil) IS a democracy, and Ahmadinejad was democratically elected as President over the previously moderate Khatami. Even Hitler himself was democratically elected.

The only saving grace in this country that helps prevent the tyranny of the majority is that we have a constitution. Unfortunately, the conservatives have managed to fill judicial positions with people willing to interpret the constitution any way they wish (including Alberto Gonzales who claims that the constitution doesn't even grant habeas corpus, or Scalia who voted that it wasn't a breach of privacy for the police when they used infra-red cameras to spy into homes)

Last edited by OmegaBaby; 05-24-2007 at 07:58 AM..

Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Christians and conservatives are not trying to change this country into anything, we are trying to preserve what it was, we are so often accused of attacking others and trying to impose our beliefs on the rest of the country, nothing could be further from the truth! We are trying to DEFEND what this country once was againts the constsnt onslaught from those who would like to see any mention or hint of religion and religious values removed from the public. Christians are not on the offensive we are trying to defend and preserve, one only has to look back to see that we have not moved towards religion as a country we have moved away!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Christians and conservatives are not trying to change this country into anything, we are trying to preserve what it was, we are so often accused of attacking others and trying to impose our beliefs on the rest of the country, nothing could be further from the truth! We are trying to DEFEND what this country once was againts the constsnt onslaught from those who would like to see any mention or hint of religion and religious values removed from the public. Christians are not on the offensive we are trying to defend and preserve, one only has to look back to see that we have not moved towards religion as a country we have moved away!
I have to repectfully disagree with what you said here. Although I think you are correct that the majority of Christians would like to see what you said happen here, the "vocal minority" are definitely trying to push other religions out and impose only Christian beliefs on the population as a whole. It's sad really because one of the greatest things about this country is it's diversity of culture, race and religion and the supposed freedom to live one's life with out interference of those things. If the "vocal minority" were to show respect for everyone else they would get further in their objectives, but for some reason they don't seem to think respect of others is required, being Christian and all.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:20 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have to repectfully disagree with what you said here. Although I think you are correct that the majority of Christians would like to see what you said happen here, the "vocal minority" are definitely trying to push other religions out and impose only Christian beliefs on the population as a whole. It's sad really because one of the greatest things about this country is it's diversity of culture, race and religion and the supposed freedom to live one's life with out interference of those things. If the "vocal minority" were to show respect for everyone else they would get further in their objectives, but for some reason they don't seem to think respect of others is required, being Christian and all.
Who is this vocal minority you are refering to? Many people religous and not would argue your point that diversity of culture is one of the "greatest things about this country"! How exactly is this vocal minority you speak of not showing respect for others?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Who is this vocal minority you are refering to? Many people religous and not would argue your point that diversity of culture is one of the "greatest things about this country"! How exactly is this vocal minority you speak of not showing respect for others?
I agree silas. . not many people would say diversity of culture is one of the greatest things about the US. In fact assimilation and unity is what has made our country great!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
When I say "vocal minority" I mean people such as Pat Roberts, Jerry Fallwell (may he rest in peace), Newt Gingrich, and other conservative fundementalists that speak before they think.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I agree silas. . not many people would say diversity of culture is one of the greatest things about the US. In fact assimilation and unity is what has made our country great!
Well actually I didn't take Silas to be disagreeing that diversity was good, but maybe I read her post wrong. As for forced assimilation, which is the only way all would assimilate that is definitely NOT what this country or the Constitution was founded on.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
When I say "vocal minority" I mean people such as Pat Roberts, Jerry Fallwell (may he rest in peace), Newt Gingrich, and other conservative fundementalists that speak before they think.
The thing I have a problem with is, as said in a previous post, that the very mention of God anywhere is under attack, the Pledge of Allegiance, the In God we Trust on our money. Cant people who dont agree with what our founding fathers believed or stood on just not do it if it offends them, instead of making such a big issue out of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies