Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Interesting findings
Quote:
Compare the average intelligence test scores of blacks and whites during their senior years in high school and whites tend to outscore blacks by as many as 15 IQ points. But send those students to college and the IQ scores of black students who graduate increase more than four times as much as those of their white college classmates, effectively cutting the black-white IQ gap in half by graduation.

This is one of the key findings of Washington University research

"We would argue that the constraint of inferior education for blacks at the high school level is largely removed during the college years," Myerson said. "Consequently, black students are able to more fully develop their potential in terms of cognitive ability. The result is that at the end of four years of higher education, black students' intelligence test scores more closely resemble their white counterparts' scores."

Challenging 'The Bell Curve': College education halves black, white IQ score gap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Its because minority students in general try harder when given the privilege to go to college. Whites tend to take it for granted. Case solved.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Its because minority students in general try harder when given the privilege to go to college. Whites tend to take it for granted. Case solved.
Uh, not so fast.

How about this. If blacks are that behind the curve upon entering college, and the materials is taught the same in a truely diverse classroom, then it stands to reason that the blacks MUST learn the material for which the whites were taught in highschool.

Thus, at the end of the day, the blacks IQ advances moreso than the whites.

All the facts are laid out in the article that support my hypothesis.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Could black people be late bloomers and reach their maturity later in life than other students?

If a black child and a white child are in the same classroom, how can one be getting a better education than the other?

I also noticed the statement was about those who graduated. If the IQ's of everyone who took the test in the first place are not the ones taking the test the second time around, how can a fair comparison be done. How many of each group dropped out of college. I would have to see the complete results of the test and the statistics totally to agree or disagree with the findings.

I tend not to trust a statistical fact that was put together to prove a point in the first place. Statistics tend to prove what you want them to.

Right now I am trying to figure out what raises IQ levels. I have always thought that being educated is one thing and IQ is another. I have heard that sometimes blacks do not score as high on some tests because of culture and different ways of thinking. So could the curve come closer together because both groups share the same experiences on a daily basis. I know that because of culture differences and a different way of thinking makes misunderstandings on these threads. I laugh every time I hear that crime is caused by proverty. Crime is caused by a lack of rightful upbringing. Hasn't anybody seen all of these white collared criminals all over the news lately. Being around money just gives a greater opportunity to do a bigger offense. I grew up in a very poor area where crime was not a problem. We didn't even lock our doors. So my thinking is different than someone living in an area where it is popular to excuse crime because of proverty. Whether a person is moral or not has nothing to do with money or the lack thereof.

Last edited by NCN; 01-14-2010 at 11:32 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting findings
I didn't know that it was possible to measure IQ much past 13. The problem is that it should be done about 7 before life begins to draw some away from others because of life experiences. I think that is the very reason they think there is that much difference between the races.

I took only one IQ test and it was at 13. I had read so much more than most kids that age, other than fiction, and it just plain put me ahead of all the other kids in my school. An example would be that in 5th grade I gave 53 oral book reports and that wasn't more than half the books I read that year. I have never considered myself anywhere close to genius status but that test said I was. The problem with IQ tests is that the person should never know his score, his parents also shouldn't know the exact number and few school people have any need for it. Counselors and other guidance people need to know but few others need to know.

Ok, now let me agree with whoever said that blacks work harder because they have been told they aren't as smart. I do think that all the black students I have ever known were harder workers than most whites. At any rate, they have been held back in school too many times and in college they are pushed just as the others are, also. I do agree that it balances out by the end of college years.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Could black people be late bloomers and reach their maturity later in life than other students?

If a black child and a white child are in the same classroom, how can one be getting a better education than the other?
I think a parent's and the child's expectations for them after high school plays a part in how kids perform in school K-12. If a kid in Jr.high for example knows that he or she is going to college after high school then their attitude towards school will be different than a kid who knows that after high school they will be getting a blue collar job the requires less education. For financial reasons more white Jr. high kids may fall into the category of knowing they will be going to college than Black kids in Jr. high. So this may play a part in shaping their academic performance and attitudes towards school.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Interesting findings
Quote:
Compare the average intelligence test scores of blacks and whites during their senior years in high school and whites tend to outscore blacks by as many as 15 IQ points. But send those students to college and the IQ scores of black students who graduate increase more than four times as much as those of their white college classmates, effectively cutting the black-white IQ gap in half by graduation.

This is one of the key findings of Washington University research

"We would argue that the constraint of inferior education for blacks at the high school level is largely removed during the college years," Myerson said. "Consequently, black students are able to more fully develop their potential in terms of cognitive ability. The result is that at the end of four years of higher education, black students' intelligence test scores more closely resemble their white counterparts' scores."

Challenging 'The Bell Curve': College education halves black, white IQ score gap
IQ scores of individuals do not statistically change with age. The IQ score that a 7 year old receives would theoretically be the same one that same person would receive at say age 50. I would tend to think that this study is somehow flawed. Maybe they are taking the overall black IQ average of highschoolers and then comparing that to the average IQ of black college graduates (which would in and of itself filter out some of the lower IQ blacks in the study). Has this been peer-reviewed?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Uh, not so fast.

How about this. If blacks are that behind the curve upon entering college, and the materials is taught the same in a truely diverse classroom, then it stands to reason that the blacks MUST learn the material for which the whites were taught in highschool.

Thus, at the end of the day, the blacks IQ advances moreso than the whites.

All the facts are laid out in the article that support my hypothesis.
You are confusing IQ or cognitive ability with accumulated knowledge. They are two different things. A black who has the same IQ as a white may do less well on a Scholastic Aptitude Test because he has less accumulated knowledge.

I would imagine that a black and a white who do equally well in college would have similar IQs although their SAT scores may differ because of differences in the quality of the education they've had up to that point. With less accumulated knowledge, the black man would have some catching up to do. This he should be able to do if he has the mental capacity to succeed in college.

I was interested in finding out how more education would increase one's IQ. I don't think it could but I can see where a score on an IQ test may improve with better test taking skills. This should not be the case and would indicate that the IQ test was not administered properly. I can see where this could happen with trying to give IQ tests to large numbers of people without giving them the individual attention needed. In any event, I was unable to find the article in the phychological journal referrenced in the link you provided and I was unable to find any information about this study on Prof. Rank web site. I wonder why?

- Reel

Old 01-15-2010, 12:31 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,942 times
Quote:
I think a parent's and the child's expectations for them after high school plays a part in how kids perform in school K-12. If a kid in Jr.high for example knows that he or she is going to college after high school then their attitude towards school will be different than a kid who knows that after high school they will be getting a blue collar job the requires less education. For financial reasons more white Jr. high kids may fall into the category of knowing they will be going to college than Black kids in Jr. high. So this may play a part in shaping their academic performance and attitudes towards school.
True and this would result in better academic achievement. However, it should not affect one's IQ which should not have anything to do with accumulated knowledge or academic achievement.

- Reel

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies