Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM

683 posts, read 825,196 times

Advertisements

I know I'm a little behind on this but I just watched Farenheight 911 a couple of months back. After watching the film I stopped encouraging my oldest son with his interest in joining the military. I'm wondering if I'm giving Moore too much credit here? One item in particular I would like to fact check is the whole Afghanistan pipeline deal. I've done a couple of searches including politifact.com but I'm only coming up with more recent entries. Anyone else got anything on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Just goes to show, how an edited and cherry picked view, can be so caustic.

John Stossel picked that propaganda apart.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:58 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Michael Moore is a liar, he makes his points by having no opposition in front of the cameras... If I go and videotape ONLY the slums of America and go over to Europe and tell everyone in Europe that they have it so much better than America... don't fall for rhetoric... Why anyone would believe that what's on TV must be true, still confounds me...

Old 01-24-2010, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I know I'm a little behind on this but I just watched Farenheight 911 a couple of months back. After watching the film I stopped encouraging my oldest son with his interest in joining the military. I'm wondering if I'm giving Moore too much credit here? One item in particular I would like to fact check is the whole Afghanistan pipeline deal. I've done a couple of searches including politifact.com but I'm only coming up with more recent entries. Anyone else got anything on this?
Anyone that puts too much into what M Moore says should listen to both sides. He is probably one of the worst things to happen to our country in a long time..

Nita

Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Oh...you said "fact" check and not "fat" check.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 PM

626 posts, read 993,224 times
Michael Moore makes propaganda. His "facts" are often misleading. That doesn't make his position necessarily wrong, since he relies more on appeals to emotion than appeals to reason. If we were relying on appeals to reason, he would be far less effective.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Michael Moore makes propaganda. His "facts" are often misleading. That doesn't make his position necessarily wrong, since he relies more on appeals to emotion than appeals to reason. If we were relying on appeals to reason, he would be far less effective.
How dare he tell the truth!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
I'm no expert on the Afghan pipeline. But if you don't know any better reasons for your kid not to join the military than the goddamned Afghan pipeline, I suggest a few college history courses might be in order.

The U.S. has been a force for organized aggression and murder in the world since Andrew Jackson stole Florida in 1817.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,096,376 times
OP,

Michael Moore is a sensationalist, just like any other entertainer. Glenn Beck - sensationalist, Limbaugh - Sensationalist, Olberman - sensationalist, Stossel - sensationalist.

I was amused by another poster hyping Stossel for 'ripping apart' Moore.

Look, the fact is, Moore makes films that are meant to deliver a thesis about his beliefs on an issue. Because of how controversial his topics are, he draws great criticism and fury.

Forget Moore for a second, you've done the right thing telling your son to do something else with his life other than the military and it should have little to do with Moore's movie alone. The fact is that your son can be so much more than a pawn in political games and while, I'll be demonized for intimating that soldiers are but pawns, that's what they are and it's important to be honest.

As long as he knows that he'll be fighting for baseless causes at the whim of leaders who are more concerned with power and ideology - which, by the way, goes far deeper than simply Iraq or Afghanistan, we've been behaving this way in our [modern] foreign policy since Eisenhower - then in my opinion, it's OK to participate.

What's sad is the thousands upon thousands of children we entice into joining military ranks with money, offers for education, and the worst, the fact that we propaghandize our children from elementary school to believe that they will be joining for altruistic purposes in the confrontation between good and evil, and that they will be protecting the freedoms of their neighbors. How romantic, huh?

Just make sure both you and your son knows what being in the military is about, regardless of modern events. For my children, I will want them to exercise their mind and fulfill their intellectual purpose and not to help careless leaders around the world to flex their muscles while using nationalism as an excuse to murder.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just goes to show, how an edited and cherry picked view, can be so caustic.

John Stossel picked that propaganda apart.
Stossel, like all his other puff pieces, presents false arguments and then tears them apart. Classic strawman tactic; a total joke show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies