Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support the South seceding from the Union?
Yes, strongly support 88 33.08%
Yes, support 30 11.28%
Don't care either way 33 12.41%
No, oppose 17 6.39%
No, strongly oppose 98 36.84%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No worse than the treatment at Fort Douglas. In fact, the prisoners were fed as well as the troops guarding them at Andersonville. Some guy named Sherman burned a large portion of the agriculture all the way through Georgia. He might have said that "War is Hell", but he was good at bringing it too.

The "traitor" was Lincoln, for invading a sovereign state. For starting the war--things could have gone amicably but for Lincoln.
Yeah, and a corrollary question is, why, when he was "marching thru Georgia", Sherman didn't take the time to detach a body of troops to free the Union prisoners at Andersonville? Hell, he could have done it with a company, likely.

My understanding is that he had direct orders NOT to. I could be wrong on that (but am doing research on it), but if the Union government was so concerned about the plight (which agreed was terrible...like all were, North and South) of their own, then it defies all common-sense why Sherman did not liberate them. He could have, probably, with less than a company of men.

It is not at all unreasonable to conclude -- by way of the Lincoln administration -- that the suffering Union prisoners were an expendable component in the whole scheme of things ala' conquer the South at all costs.

Next time someone looks at one of the early photos of the emaciated prisoners out of Andersonville, keep in mind that the Confederacy had offered to liberate them free of any other considerations. And that Shermans hordes -- while taking time out from devastating the civilian population -- could have freed them any time he chose....

Blame rests squarely upon the war policies of the North.

Pathetic and sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm sensing a resurgence in Southern pride lately. Would you like to see the South secede from the Union?

Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

League of the South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'd love to see it, I cd use a good laugh, but realistically, just as in 186(1,2,3,4,5), how would they survive.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
Yes.

Good riddance.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

900 posts, read 672,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, and a corrollary question is, why, when he was "marching thru Georgia", Sherman didn't take the time to detach a body of troops to free the Union prisoners at Andersonville? Hell, he could have done it with a company, likely.

My understanding is that he had direct orders NOT to. I could be wrong on that (but am doing research on it), but if the Union government was so concerned about the plight (which agreed was terrible...like all were, North and South) of their own, then it defies all common-sense why Sherman did not liberate them. He could have, probably, with less than a company of men.

It is not at all unreasonable to conclude -- by way of the Lincoln administration -- that the suffering Union prisoners were an expendable component in the whole scheme of things ala' conquer the South at all costs.

Next time someone looks at one of the early photos of the emaciated prisoners out of Andersonville, keep in mind that the Confederacy had offered to liberate them free of any other considerations. And that Shermans hordes -- while taking time out from devastating the civilian population -- could have freed them any time he chose....

Blame rests squarely upon the war policies of the North.

Pathetic and sad.
Wrong on almost every count. You can't avoid Andersonville. It's yours. The south's offers of 'prisoner exchange' were a joke.

Any southerner with half an ounce of conscience should look at those pictures of the Andersonville 'survivors' and weep that his people were capable of that kind of barbarism. Instead, you celebrate it.

As for Sherman, he had exactly the right approach to warfare. Destroy your enemy's infrastructure and you destroy his ability to wage war. You want to rebel against the United States, kill American soldiers, and commit treason - be prepared to pay the price.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 PM

900 posts, read 672,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I'd love to see it, I cd use a good laugh, but realistically, just as in 186(1,2,3,4,5), how would they survive.
Although I agree with you, their survival would be a matter of absolute indifference to me.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Except those in the South are pompous, judgemental, boorish, racist, and dumb. A hard combination to beat.

I've explained many times why I find the South to be a national joke. They are ignorant and they are arrogant. The worst combination possible.

Oh, and did I mention racist?
Tell me about your educational background, since you believe you are so smart. Also, where are you from, and how much time have you spent in the South?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
First of all, my personal information is none of your business. I would no more list relevant facts about myself on an internet board than I would willingly move to Redneck, Mississippi.

I never claimed I was particularly smart. You don't need to be particuarly smart to recognize what an embarrassment the south is to this nation and how we would be infinitely better off without them.

What I will tell you is that I spent a year in Georgia while in the military. It was the longest year of my life. I learned everything I needed to know about the 'peculiar' lifestyle of the south while stationed there.

Ignorant racist redneck hicks. Please, please - go form your own country!
Naturally, you would believe that you could learn everything about a whole region of the country from living one year in one tiny section of Georgia. That is like the saying the obnxious lady from New Jersey that knocked my son down to grab a Mardi Gras necklace represents all women from New Jersey. It is apparent who is judging who, and who is a bigot. Of course, since you are a Northerner you don't believe that you could possibly be prejudiced against the South. In your opinion only Southerners could be that ignorant. And I didn't ask for your address. I was just wondering if you have any actual educational experience to back up everything you say. You claim that we, Southerners, are ignorant, while everyone in my family has attended college or are currently attending college. We, however, don't judge people just based on education or the lack of. Life experience is invaluable. You, however, have not had enough life experience in the South to be able to make any kind of claims.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:55 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times
Quote:
Wrong on almost every count. You can't avoid Andersonville. It's yours. The south's offers of 'prisoner exchange' were a joke.
You are right. I can't avoid Andersonville.

But....*drum roll please*...Sherman DID...when he could have freed them!

He could have liberated all the starving Union soldiers with a company (or less) of men. There was no resistance that could have been put up. Why didn't he? Easy answer. Those guys would have been a hinderance on the Union army to feed and take care of. So? Let them suffer. After all, the most important thing is to burn, pillage and loot and conquer a civilian population. So if it means sacrificing your own comrades, then so be it done, right?

Quote:
Any southerner with half an ounce of conscience should look at those pictures of the Andersonville 'survivors' and weep that his people were capable of that kind of barbarism. Instead, you celebrate it.
No, I have nothing but compassion for them. What makes me want to gag over is that a victorious army of their own would not liberate them. And, that northern war policy prevented them from being freed.

Quote:
As for Sherman, he had exactly the right approach to warfare. Destroy your enemy's infrastructure and you destroy his ability to wage war. You want to rebel against the United States, kill American soldiers, and commit treason - be prepared to pay the price.
I guess. Heroic as hell to make war upon women and children, huh? Anyway, here is a contrast between Lee and Sherman. As spelled out in battle orders and thoughts.

Robert E. Lee,
General Orders, No. 73

Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
June 27, 1863

The commanding general has observed with marked satisfaction the conduct of the troops on the march, and confidently anticipates results commensurate with the high spirit they have manifested.

No troops could have displayed greater fortitude or better performed the arduous marches of the past ten days.

Their conduct in other respects has with few exceptions been in keeping with their character as soldiers, and entitles them to approbation and praise.

There have however been instances of forgetfulness on the part of some, that they have in keeping the yet unsullied reputation of the army, and that the duties expected of us by civilization and Christianity are not less obligatory in the country of the enemy than in our own.

The commanding general considers that no greater disgrace could befall the army, and through it our whole people, than the perpetration of the barbarous outrages upon the unarmed, and defenceless [sic] and the wanton destruction of private property that have marked the course of the enemy in our own country.

Such proceedings not only degrade the perpetrators and all connected with them, but are subversive of the discipline and efficiency of the army, and destructive of the ends of our present movement.

It must be remembered that we make war only upon armed men, and that we cannot take vengeance for the wrongs our people have suffered without lowering ourselves in the eyes of all whose abhorrence has been excited by the atrocities of our enemies, and offending against Him to whom vengeance belongeth, without whose favor and support our efforts must all prove in vain.

The commanding general therefore earnestly exhorts the troops to abstain with most scrupulous care from unnecessary or wanton injury to private property, and he enjoins upon all officers to arrest and bring to summary punishment all who shall in any way offend against the orders on this subject.

R. E. Lee
General

“I propose to demonstrate the vulnerability of the South, and make its inhabitants feel that war and individual ruin are synonymous terms,” he wrote to one associate, while adding to another, “I am going into the very bowels of the Confederacy, and will leave a trail that will be recognized fifty years hence.

Gen. Sherman...

Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I never said I was a northerner.

Did your son live in New Jersey for a year? Did he associate with people from New Jersey for three years?

Of course I'm prejudiced against the south. I freely admit it. Any region of the country with such an appalling history of racism and violence and backwards thinking deserves whatever bigotry comes their way.

As a region you are ignorant. Every measurable national statistic proves it. You are the only region of the country that considers education to be suspicious and untrustworthy. That's why a demagogue like Sarah Palin - that drops her 'g's' from the end of every verb is so popular with you.
I did not say people from New Jersey were like one woman that we encountered at a parade. You are the one that lumps people together because of things you have read, heard, or experienced during your year in Georgia. My son was three at the time, so your question about living in New Jersey makes no sense, and once again I have nothing against New Jersey. I was trying to show you how bigoted you are when you assume all Southerners are alike. We are a region of many different people with different backgrounds, educations, job skills, etc. etc. We are not all alike. It is hard to believe that you are actually grown with the comments you keep making.
The United States has a history of racism and violence. Does it deserve bigotry and hatred? You are an angry person full of angry rants. It is sad.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,994 times
Andersonville? Who has the nerve to actually bring up Andersonville? Can we say Camp Casey, Ill? It was equally terrible.

Plus the a**hole that commanded Andersonville wasn't even a Southerner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies