Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
That's my first response too. Well, maybe a few years ago.

But, when I think about it, the truth is that every era has oodles of suckiness; short life spans, pain and suffering - no painkillers or antibiotics, corsets, half or more of babies died before their first birthday until about 1930, death in childbirth, no electricity, no clean running water, lack of bathing, I could go on.

So, I'll take what I have and be glad of it.
Yes, we like looking at the bright side. That is why the SCA (Society for Creative Anacranism) recreated the middle ages minus the plague and starvation.

Thing is, if you had been born in 1840, you would think all thost things were normal. You would expect them. You only see as negative what you aren't familiar with. My great grandmother lost thee children in a night and went on. I'm sure she grieved but she did not fall apart. In her time (would have been about 1870) it happened. Today it would be a major tragedy.

I know what I'd like...space, little government prying, simplicity, quiet. But then today I have writing friends all over the world and computers and read the morning newspaper while reading email. Its normal to call and chat with friends in other states. I can order all the biographies and war histories and diary's on Amazon I can afford. Sure wouldn't have that life then. So I guess all is relative.

I remember the fifties as a little girl. I remember the 60's as blur of emotion. I'm not sure I'd want to repeat any of then or since. I guess we all wish we were born in JUST the age that suits our perception of "want".

If you consider that those things which would seem extra hard for us would not, then I would say the 1800's... somewhere where girls got educated and taught to read. Or maybe later one when we live in that world again except we'd remember what we lost then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraibenah View Post
Same thing here! 40's and 50's
Would you really have wanted to fight in the second world war? Yes, greatest generation, but there was a reason my dad never said a word about any of those island landing he participated in. I discovered it when just watching the films, especially the color ones. Maybe it was good he didn't but I still think I would have liked to know what helped make him who he was.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
i wish i was born in the nineties instead of the 80's. that way i'd still be in middle or high school (somewhat insulated from this economy). Plus i'd be younger and do somethings differently.
My son was born in 91. He is now out of high school and floundering. I wish somehow knowledge of how life really is could be transfered to someone else or maybe he would not have made some of the decisions he did. I thought my early adulthood was hard, but I think the Bloomlette will feel it just as bad.

But remember that sometimes you do have to hit that brick wall of life to figure it out and if you do you are getting a gift, because life has really always been about the same thing for everyone. Only the details are different.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 503 times
I really wish that i could've been born a good 30 years sooner for me since it would've been much easier for me finding a good woman to settle down with to have a family with which today most of the women are totally different than the women of years ago that were old fashioned which many of them wanted to get married back then, and many of them back then really had to work very hard along with their men to make ends meat. Most women today are very high maintenance, independent, selfish, spoiled, greedy, narcissists, money hungry, and very picky. And this is the real reason why many of us good men are still single nowadays because of the women today that have Changed for the Worst. And many of us men are Not single by choice either.

Old 12-15-2015, 05:32 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
Interesting old thread that has been revived.

My pick would be the Late 1800's. Probably around 1875.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 PM

314 posts, read 400,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Interesting old thread that has been revived.

My pick would be the Late 1800's. Probably around 1875.
You can get all the laudanum you need during that period.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
in the 6 century, then I could put the false prophet Mohammad out of his misery and save millions from the barbaric rule of sharia..

Old 12-15-2015, 07:25 PM

314 posts, read 400,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
in the 6 century, then I could put the false prophet Mohammad out of his misery and save millions from the barbaric rule of sharia..
You could started 6 centuries earlier to put that nut case who called himself son of god out of his misery as well. Tally it up, that nut case's followers killed more than any others.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:27 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I am glad i was born in year 1985.

But as an artist, I want to experience the Renaissance.

As a former college athlete, (I hate the word former) I may wish I was born in the "future". So I can live and die for water polo.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:28 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
If you do, which time period?
All I have to day that I am happier to be at this stage of my life and fear fo my grand kids because of the world situation today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies