Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 AM

276 posts, read 747,190 times

Advertisements

Why is it Americans and their counter part Canadians are able to dig so deeply into their pockets to help victims in other countries yet have no desire to help the homeless guy walking past their house each day or the kid that just lost their parents or the women thrown out to the street by her husband or the family who just lost everything they own? Hasn't anyone heard that you need to clean the **** in your back yard before cleaning others? It doesn't make sense! I would rather have a strong healthy neighbor who can look to me and me to him than be so alone in the world that no one recognizes when I'm desperate and can give me a hand and that is how things used to be...neighbors supported each other they didn't turn their backs and ignore what was in front of them and that is how strong communities were built and lasted. I know other people from other countries need help but doesn't anyone think it's time for their governments to start being responsable and accountable to their people? We can't manage the affairs of the world without managing the affairs in our own yard and I think their are a lot of talk show hypocrites and stars who have more mouth and little concern for what is going on under their noses in their own back yards. There are people homeless and starving in the US and CA just as worthy of food & shelter as those in other countries. I make no apology...it's my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
I did hear on the news here that people giving to Haiti is hurting the local charities being able to help the homeless and hungry in Houston.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
You have a valid point, in my opinion.

American's are charitable people. But we're also very cynnical people. And sometimes very shallow.

But, I think you'd be surprised at how much American's do give on a personal level, such as volunteering, giving food and clothes to homeless shelters, donations, etc. here at home. I personally very rarely give the homeless guy with his hand out any money. But I do contribute in a variety of other ways.

There's a fine line between being compassionate and wanting others to pull themselves up on their own. I have no desire to see my dollars go to the whiskey store, but I have no problem with my dollar going to the local food bank to help those who make the effort to seek help.

But, I do expect fiscal responsibility when my tax dollars are shipped to some foreign destination as well.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Why is it Americans and their counter part Canadians are able to dig so deeply into their pockets to help victims in other countries yet have no desire to help the homeless guy walking past their house each day or the kid that just lost their parents or the women thrown out to the street by her husband or the family who just lost everything they own? Hasn't anyone heard that you need to clean the **** in your back yard before cleaning others? It doesn't make sense! I would rather have a strong healthy neighbor who can look to me and me to him than be so alone in the world that no one recognizes when I'm desperate and can give me a hand and that is how things used to be...neighbors supported each other they didn't turn their backs and ignore what was in front of them and that is how strong communities were built and lasted. I know other people from other countries need help but doesn't anyone think it's time for their governments to start being responsable and accountable to their people? We can't manage the affairs of the world without managing the affairs in our own yard and I think their are a lot of talk show hypocrites and stars who have more mouth and little concern for what is going on under their noses in their own back yards. There are people homeless and starving in the US and CA just as worthy of food & shelter as those in other countries. I make no apology...it's my opinion!
I personally have a stronger inclination to help somebody who was subjected to situations which were out of their control, such as an earthquake. Many people who are homeless have other issues and circumstances surrounding their inability to sustain themselves, people subject to natural disasters can't sustain themselves because of something out of their control.

I assume since you said "why is it Americans..." because you are not here in America. From my perspective, living in the 3rd largest urban area in the country, there are many people who abuse the empathy of others. Charity is something that needs to be accomplished with a great eye for discretion. Just as a rich man wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars on a college education for a son who only wants to party and drink, and some point you have to quit enabling such behavior. In order to do that, you have to cut off the source that allows that behavior to continue.

Many many Americans donate to charity or volunteer their time in efforts to provide Americans charity who find themselves subject to situations outside of their control which inhibits their ability to provide for themsleves. Everybody in this country pays the government to provide safety nets for people. We have organizations who provide housing and food, things just barely necessary to sustain people who continue to fail for one reason or another to turn their life around.

I personally volunteer my time at a homeless shelter and kitchen. This facility however is ran by an ex-chicago cop who has very strict requirements for beneficiaries of the program. They must be in counseling for any prior addiction and be drug/alcohol free, they must be activily persuing work, they must be getting education training. If they make an effort to better themselves, then me and many others are ok with giving them a helping hand.

At some point though, you have to learn about tough love and quit enabling people to make bad decisions which impact everybody else and their wallets. Empathy breeds dependancy.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You have a valid point, in my opinion.

American's are charitable people. But we're also very cynnical people. And sometimes very shallow.

But, I think you'd be surprised at how much American's do give on a personal level, such as volunteering, giving food and clothes to homeless shelters, donations, etc. here at home. I personally very rarely give the homeless guy with his hand out any money. But I do contribute in a variety of other ways.

There's a fine line between being compassionate and wanting others to pull themselves up on their own. I have no desire to see my dollars go to the whiskey store, but I have no problem with my dollar going to the local food bank to help those who make the effort to seek help.

But, I do expect fiscal responsibility when my tax dollars are shipped to some foreign destination as well.
I understand that but sometimes I just take that chance....

You could do what my wife used to do, I say used to because we are not in the area any longer...

There was a guy with a dog and she would go buy the guy and his dog each a hamburger and a drink and take it back to them.. He always told her "Thank You So Much"

Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I understand that but sometimes I just take that chance....

You could do what my wife used to do, I say used to because we are not in the area any longer...

There was a guy with a dog and she would go buy the guy and his dog each a hamburger and a drink and take it back to them.. He always told her "Thank You So Much"
I like buying food for people who say they are hungry. There used to be a guy that had a sign that just simply said "Im hungry". I would buy him a sandwich and drink on occassion when I saw him.

Then again, used to have a women pan handleing with her kids who said they were hungry. I would offer to buy them lunch and she would refuse. She wanted the cash.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
The comparison of course is ridiculous. A natural disaster vs a self imposed lifestyle? Many if not most homeless choose to be on the streets. Despite that, Americans still want and DO try to help these unfortunate people. Get rid of the agenda, it's not working here.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Many times, homeless people are in situations they caused themselves.

Some of them are Vets, who's war experience messed them up in such a way, that they can't function in society. I believe thats the governments job to give returning vets the medical care they need in order to return to their normal mental selves. However, I know many WWII vets that saw far more horrible things, and returned and didn't have the problems that many of the newer vets have. So I see it as no license to drink, and beg for money on a daily basis.

Some homeless folks are victims of circumstance. Lost their job, lost their belongings, and just ended up with no money, no way of getting an income, and down and out. However, these are very rare.

The vast majority are drug addicts, or people who want to live that way. I won't help those folks.

I've offered homeless people a sandwich before, and they turned me down. Sorry, I feel no empathy for those people.

Haiti was an act of nature. They couldn't help themselves there, so I see nothing wrong with contributing a little to help them.

I also donate money when I see the "child who lost their entire family" thing. Thats not the childs fault either.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post

It's called telescopic philanthropy: AskOxford: Telescopic Philanthropy and London Particulars

"The term "telescopic philanthropy", used to describe Mrs Jellyby's absorption in "Borrioboola-Gha" while neglecting problems nearer to home, is similarly comprehensible (and may be found in a number of online discussions of today's charitable endeavours)."

Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Course I'm not overly wowed by fancy words and vocabulary, having a considerable one (vocabulary, that is) of my own. What matter the reason, whether of a "golden" heart or otherwise. That the money is sent is of larger import than an alleged nebulous intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies