Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:10 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times

Advertisements

Red tape, expense, long waiting lists, stricter guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Friends of mine adopted 2 American kids and did a wonderful job. I admire them for doing so and understand what the OP is stating.

There are so many kids in the US system that need a home, so why not first help out in this country and than go to other countries....

I have nothing against other cultures so don't call me a racist...I can understand that people of different backgrounds, race might have different interest for maybe their own race, which is perfectly fine and maybe better for the child later in life....but I'm not an expert.

I'm just feeling sorry for the kids who are growing up and never get to be adopted and watching tv and looking at people adopting from far away while these kids are neglected....

Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Friends of mine adopted 2 American kids and did a wonderful job. I admire them for doing so and understand what the OP is stating.

There are so many kids in the US system that need a home, so why not first help out in this country and than go to other countries....

I have nothing against other cultures so don't call me a racist...I can understand that people of different backgrounds, race might have different interest for maybe their own race, which is perfectly fine and maybe better for the child later in life....but I'm not an expert.

I'm just feeling sorry for the kids who are growing up and never get to be adopted and watching tv and looking at people adopting from far away while these kids are neglected....

it is not so cut and dry
how about leaving it up to the parents to make the decision
it is terrible to have so many kids needing homes, wonder if the one that started this stuipd thread feels about gay folks adopting? Some how I get the feeling they would not be so happy about that even though the kids would have a loving home.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omckenzie710 View Post
There are thousands of orphaned children in the U.S. that need loving homes. I think it's because children from foreign countries are thought to be "exotic"- they aren't just another ordinary American. If I were ever to adopt a child I would most certainly adopt one from the United States. I guess I just have more of a "my country comes first" point of view.

you okay with gay folks adopting too?
just wondering~~~

Old 01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Bah, I hate reading this one. My husband and I are working with a foster agency to become certified (which is not free, btw), with the goal of adopting. We're in our 40s, caucasian and have no children of our own. If this becomes an impediment I will be so angry.
Be angry but don't let that stop you from other ways of adopting as mentioned on this thread. Being a parent is the ultimate joy.
And also don't wait too long...20 years for a baby to grow up and then you still want time as an adult parent and maybe a grandparent.

I wish you luck Jill61..but don't let the system win on this one or keep you tangled up for years waiting.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
There are thousands of orphaned children in the U.S. that need loving homes. I think it's because children from foreign countries are thought to be "exotic"- they aren't just another ordinary American. If I were ever to adopt a child I would most certainly adopt one from the United States. I guess I just have more of a "my country comes first" point of view.
Ever try to adopt in this country, if you had you would ask this question.
Casper

Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I'm going with the guesses:

1. Because they mostly want babies
2. Because it's easier (bureaucratically speaking) to adopt outside the US if you are older or something else that the US scrutinizes that other countries, don't.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm going with the guesses:

1. Because they mostly want babies
2. Because it's easier (bureaucratically speaking) to adopt outside the US if you are older or something else that the US scrutinizes that other countries, don't.
I actually know a couple who are absolutely some of the most loving, great people you would ever want to meet. They own their own successful business. Have a beautiful home. Volunteer for countless child related causes. Teach Sunday School. Give both money and time to help people in need. Have a very happy, very stable marriage. These are truly just some wonderful people. They passed everything in the adoption review but were turned down and refused adoption. Why? Because they were overweight. And then there are still those who want to make people believe that there are all these children who go without homes because no one wants to adopt them? NUTS! The truth is that the system is just plain nuts.

As if there aren't people who have children born to them and who are excellent parents who:

1. Are overweight
2. Are over 35
3. Don't own their own home
4. Have been divorced

And yet all of these things can be used to block an adoption. Add to that the crazy social workers who believe that preserving the birth family is the only thing that matters so they keep returning poor little children who have been terribly abused and neglected to mothers who continue to abuse and neglect them....and sometimes even kill them. The adoption system is broken. And until it is fixed then don't blame people for adopting children from other countries. And bear in mind that those children are innocent and need love too.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:

I actually think that it's because adoping a child from another country is far easier than adopting an American child..

Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,767,023 times
Repeat of a thread on here 2 weeks ago. It's another race baiting thread so don't fall into. IF i am wrong about that than it is simply because people want babies not children, long waits, red tape, lots of money, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies