Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 08:49 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Defintion of democracy

1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

Where do corporations come into this equation? It doesn't! Not in the way it was intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
527s and unions have done this for years. They have no one to answer to. A corporation that picks a side in an issue or candidate will only hurt themselves. for instance Ge comes out with pro abortion commercials and support those candidates in commercials, do you think the anti abortionist group will buy GE? Ge would only be hurting itself. However it is their right to do so
And you figured the answer is to make it worse?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

When have you ever heard someone dissect the opinion rendered in Roe v. Wade or Hamdan v. Rumsfeld? I dare say never, outside a law school class. But, there have been thousands of threads on hundreds of websites about those decisions, dealing with every issue under the sun except arguing the points of law in the decisions themselves.
I have no idea how you can say that with a straight face. There IS no argument regarding SC decisions that doesn't deal with the points of law in those decisions themselves. Opponents of Roe v Wade consistently call it an "activist" decision by claiming that calling abortion a "right to privacy" under the the Due Process clause in the 14th Amendment is bad law. It's physically impossible to discuss that decision without arguing the points of law in the decision itself. You are so desperate to be right that you don't even realize that you aren't making any sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Because that issue wasn't before the Court in this instance.
For the, what, 5th time now?, neither was Austin or McConnell! Not before the Court. They reached. They decided to answer questions that weren't asked.

But since you like the ruling, you'll ignore that and resort to, "it's a done deal" style arguments, declaring no one can debate the ruling because a single Justice sided with 4 you agree with instead of the side that was right.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
..and exactly how is spending millions on the ads that benefit them and their special interests by supporting a particular candidate, not contributing to the candidate? Please explain this to me. A candidate fund rasies to win elections which might include running ads to sway public opinion. The biased corrporations will be doing this for the candidate. Again, please explain your reasoning.
if the giant corporation picks one candidate or issue over another they are going to severely alienate the people who support the other candidate . Since most elections and issues fall in the 52%- 47% range how is it in the best interest of a corporation to alienate either 52% of their consumers or 47% of their consumers. it is not in the corporations best interest to do so.
Now 527s and unions have done this for years. the only difference if a corporation uses advertising dollars to support an issue those dollars must be put in there annual report.
Now look at some corporations.

GE if came out with ads supporting the Republican presidential nominee half of there consumers would no longer buy GE they would choose maytag or whirpool. No benefit will come to GE and they would hurt themselves.

Say Exxon came out with ads supporting a democrat from Texas running for the house who supported off shore drilling. the Exxon would alienate every person who did not believe in it . No benefit to Exxon's bottom line

Lets say Trojan condoms came out with ads supporting abortion. What would that benefit,they would be telling their consumers there products might fail.

Corporations will be held accountable to the people for their ads. Unions and 527s have no accountability.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
if the giant corporation picks one candidate or issue over another they are going to severely alienate the people who support the other candidate . Since most elections and issues fall in the 52%- 47% range how is it in the best interest of a corporation to alienate either 52% of their consumers or 47% of their consumers. it is not in the corporations best interest to do so.
Now 527s and unions have done this for years. the only difference if a corporation uses advertising dollars to support an issue those dollars must be put in there annual report.
Now look at some corporations.

GE if came out with ads supporting the Republican presidential nominee half of there consumers would no longer buy GE they would choose maytag or whirpool. No benefit will come to GE and they would hurt themselves.

Say Exxon came out with ads supporting a democrat from Texas running for the house who supported off shore drilling. the Exxon would alienate every person who did not believe in it . No benefit to Exxon's bottom line

Lets say Trojan condoms came out with ads supporting abortion. What would that benefit,they would be telling their consumers there products might fail.

Corporations will be held accountable to the people for their ads. Unions and 527s have no accountability.
I get it now. If Saudi has holdings in corporations that are biased towards a particular candidate and push thier agenda via the candidate, Americans will cease purchasing fossil fuel. Makes perfect sense. I really do not mean to be sarcastic, but your post is a bit naive to the larger picture and ultimate ramifications

Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Government by and for the special interests. . . . why am I surprised?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I get it now. If Saudi has holdings in corporations that are biased towards a particular candidate and push thier agenda via the candidate, Americans will cease purchasing fossil fuel. Makes perfect sense. I really do not mean to be sarcastic, but your post is a bit naive to the larger picture and ultimate ramifications
if the Saudis pushed a candidate through a corporation then the American people would know who that corporation was and who was pushing that candidate. I am sure that would not help the candidate.
I woudl rather know what money is pushing who so rather than hide behind 527 unions and move on

Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
This is certainly an understatement.

If a President can be brought up on impeachment charges for oral play but judges that have literally placed a For Sale sign across Lady Liberty get a pass, American natural person citizens deserve their coming disenfranchisement and serfdom.
Worth another 10 reps, but of course it won't let me.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Worth another 10 reps, but of course it won't let me.
I second that!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
if the Saudis pushed a candidate through a corporation then the American people would know who that corporation was and who was pushing that candidate. I am sure that would not help the candidate.
I woudl rather know what money is pushing who so rather than hide behind 527 unions and move on
Oh, we would know. So now we have to moniter every utility company, energy provider, telecommunications company, bank, pharmecuetical company and every corporate giant. We've done such a good job at monitering and regulating in the past, so I do not see the problem with giving them more corruption power. I remember when Verizon and other companies gave away personal information without consent of the customers and they were not even given a slap on the wrist and how many consumers dropped their phone service because of this? The Supreme Court judges, all Republican appointed I might add, just furthered the cause for democracy demolition. If you insist on making excuses and defending this, that is your perogative...the march towards Corporatism and Fascism depends on people such as yourself. I'm done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies