Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

I personally would recommend Syria.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I personally would recommend Syria.
Gee
I don't think a Muslim country would be a good idea. It should be a country which doesn't have political/ideological enemies and is perceived as neutral and open by the whole world.
Singapore might also work.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Things like the UN Treaty on the Rights of a Child...no, that's not its official title, but a description of it. It is lunacy like a treehugger mentality for kids.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
It's populated with criminals, just ask the NYPD. They abuse their diplomatic immunity on a regular basis. I remember one time when, for some reason, the cafeteria in the UN wasn't opened. Several UN diplomats literally broke into the place and stole whatever they wanted. Their practice of using a rotation schedule as to who would chair certain committees has lead to brutal dictatorships heading committees on human rights and disarmament. The UN troops in Africa not only refused to stop the mass murder, some participated in not only the mass murder, but also the destruction of evidence (burning the bodies) and raping of women and children. The UN is also a performance theater for brutal dictators going all the way back to the USSR and continues today with Iran. It's goal is to be a world govening body even though many of it's member nations are extreme violators of human rights and they play a part in what is passed.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxQ View Post
Part of their agenda is disarming Americans. Void our Second Amendment rights. I also don't like training other soldiers who could come back later and use my OWN training and weapons on me. There are MANY F-14A Tomcats sitting inoperable in Iran that we SOLD THEM IN THE 1970'S. We don't want those airborne again. After the retirement of the F-14 Tomcat in '06...those scrapped and salvaged parts ARE closely guarded, locked, logged and controlled. How about all the FIM-92 Stingers we gave the Afghans when they were fighting the Russians in the 80s that are being used against US now? My point... don't train and sell/give weapons to others. It may come back to haunt US. DANGER-DANGER...DON'T TALK TO STRANGERS!

Top Gun - Danger Zone (Music Video) - YouTube
modern U.S fighters would swat those old Iranian F-14's out of the sky.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
I have noticed in a few other posts that Conservatives really don't seem to like the U.N., not to mention having the Anti-Christ in the "Left Behind" book series (extremely popular among Evangelical Christians) be the UN Secretary General.

Why is that? I know that the U.N. is not the smoothest running machine, but I think that's understandable considering how many different cultures and languages are involved (otherwise why not advocate cleaning up the US immigration bureaucracy... a much worse mess).

The U.N. mandate is to promote human rights and peace. Surely you cannot be against them for that!

I really would like to know what it is that gets you upset... Please post and let me know.
I am no Republican, and I agree that the UN has shown themselves to be useless. They put countries that are guilty of human rights violations in charge of human rights affairs. They put UN troops in countries to stop the violence yet they tie their hands so that they end up standing by while people are killed and raped. They have proven that they are utterly useless when it comes to passing resolutions and then being able to enforce them. No, I am no fan of the UN.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 AM

While it is a bit bloated and some of its programs questionable, the UN and its organizations do a lot of good work around the world and the world would be worse off without it.

Many people hate the UN because it is international by nature and not interested in the West's interests. In order to hide that reason they cite all kinds of pretexts like the few failures, that any huge organization like the UN is bound to produce. It's like blasting aviation because of a few crashing planes.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
While it is a bit bloated and some of its programs questionable, the UN and its organizations do a lot of good work around the world and the world would be worse off without it.

Many people hate the UN because it is international by nature and not interested in the West's interests. In order to hide that reason they cite all kinds of pretexts like the few failures, that any huge organization like the UN is bound to produce. It's like blasting aviation because of a few crashing planes.
Most plane crashes are accidents. Oil for Food was the conscience decision of UN officials to enrich themselves at the expense of the Iraqi people, the slaughter and rapes in Africa were decisions, not accidents. The UN officials raping African children was a decision, not an accident. The decision to put human rights violators in charge of the human rights committee was not an accident.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Most plane crashes are accidents. Oil for Food was the conscience decision of UN officials to enrich themselves at the expense of the Iraqi people, the slaughter and rapes in Africa were decisions, not accidents. The UN officials raping African children was a decision, not an accident. The decision to put human rights violators in charge of the human rights committee was not an accident.
I think that is a simplified view. The oil for food mess for instance was the consequence of the screwed interference of the West and particularly the US in that region, which lead to Saddam's strong position, the attack on Kuwait, the sanctions, and ultimately to the need to mitigate the effects of those sanctions.

The UN is an organization with many employees and volunteers. Human error, crime, etc. can't be ruled out. That doesn't make the organization and its goals wrong.
Without all the UN peacekeeping missions and other projects the world would be in much worse shape. As I said, most projects are successful, but don't make the news.

Nor do I understand the complaint about contributions. Other nations such as Germany or Britain clearly pay more per capita than the US does.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I follow your reasoning here. I would prefer that the UN be relocated to a country that considers itself neutral--say, Belgium or even Switzerland.

The UN sitting on the East River has lost its impartial face and like many other agencies that become behemoths, it is outdated and needs to be revamped and reduced in scope.

But, and this is important to me, an oversight agency like the UN, does need to exist to watch-dog international politics and policy making, including those of the United States.
well said my friend.

war crimes happen in every war, and the U.S. needs oversight and regulation, just like any other civilized country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies