Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Thornley View Post
As a prev. employee of WalMart, I wouldn't advise anyone to work for them, they cut your hours to 28-32 where you can be a 40 hr employee and rec. benefits. You have to fight tooth and nail to get your insurance to pay any claims, first you have to use all your sick time, then vacation time, then if you're still off work they might pay on the insurance claim. They don't pay very well, cut your hours where you can't get decent benefits. If Sam was still alive there would be clothing MADE BY AMERICANS, AND NOTHING FROM CHINA........HE WAS SO PROUD TO HAVE HIS MERCHANDISE MADE IN AMERICA MADE BY AMERICANS.
This is something that has bothered me about the WalMart group of stores for well over a decade now. They are in a unique position through which their very market presence could both create and support manufacturing industries here in the US, especially given the difficult economic times.

As I recall, before Woolworth Co. was run out of business their philosophy was also very much "made in the USA". Dang, just dated myself big time by admitting to remembering Woolworth's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is something that has bothered me about the WalMart group of stores for well over a decade now. They are in a unique position through which their very market presence could both create and support manufacturing industries here in the US, especially given the difficult economic times.

As I recall, before Woolworth Co. was run out of business their philosophy was also very much "made in the USA". Dang, just dated myself big time by admitting to remembering Woolworth's.
Walmart has more defenders than I ever thought possible. These people praise this gluttonous giant bcause they sell them crap cheap (because it is cheap crap). They have no thought to how and why Walmart can accomplish this. They complain about the state of the economy, but devotedly run to Walmart from everything from soup to nuts (even if they're toxically produced in China). If Walmart was boycotted until they only sold things made in the USA, this would be the most patriotic thing an American could do concerning the issue of unfair trade agreements and job loss.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,076,006 times
We have OSHA, and we have good labor laws thanks to unions but their time is over. How can any of us expect to not have our jobs outsourced to other countries with free trade agreements with nations whose workers work their butts off for much less money than our workers. We have to work for a bit less in order to keep our jobs and that will take the enacting of right to work laws all over the country.

National Right to Work Committee®

Old 01-24-2010, 11:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It appears that the unions have once againh wrecked an innocent big American corporation! OH!! I forgot- they don't have any union!
Wal-Mart cuts about 11,200 Sam's Club staffers - Yahoo! News
Well a few years ago we had over 4000 union workers layed off near me . But its really has no thing to do with unions unless they have a contract like teh UAW to put them in a room and we all know what that helped lead to at GM. bankrupsy and more layoffs.That contract alos lead to many more thousnds of supplier with unions being layed off.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Something isn't working, try to make a change. Stores aren't performing, eliminate the stores. If they were tied up with union contracts then they wouldn't be able to make quick changes to try to improve business. They'd be forced to take the loss by maintaining the current number of employees and pass on the cost to the consumer through increased prices and poor quality of service.
Translation: Wal Mart is still making a lot of profit but they aren't making as much of a profit as in the past so they need to lay off workers so that the executives can continue to earn their high incomes. After all, it makes more sense to lay off workers so that the executives can continue to early their million dollar compensations (salary + bonus)

Yes, I get it. This is the same company that was one of the wealthiest in the world yet wouldn't provide health benefits for its employees let alone provide a poor working environment etc...and this was when the economy was strong. I'm not advocating the government get involved. I'm a Republican. At the same time, I shop at Target. If you want to hurt a company, hurt them in their wallet. Shop elsewhere.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,940,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
I guess some would rather see WalMart go under than shed jobs to get through tough times.
I am old enough to remember how the Japanese motorcycle industry (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki) were tariffed by the U.S. so Harley-Davidson could emerge from bankruptcy. It was an economic bloodbath but they never cut employees. Japanese businessmen felt that once an employee, always an employee. The obligation went both ways. That kind of employer business ethic is going away, even in Japan. Billionaire fever has afllicted the entire planet. The planets rich people no longer feel any obligation to their employee's why should they. Do you think Wal-Mart exists by its sales anymore??? Investor's pump more money per second into the franchise than any amount of sales could even hope to match in a month! Investors love to hear that their investments are running lean and mean and Wal-Marts stock price jumps when they announce news like this. Taken to it's illogical extreme, the real recipe for success would be to eliminate every single employee the company has and watch the money pour in from The Market. Next best thing, lobby the Congress to amnesty the 12M Central Americans and lower the minimum wage to $3.00/hr. They're working on it.

H

Old 01-25-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
We have OSHA, and we have good labor laws thanks to unions but their time is over. How can any of us expect to not have our jobs outsourced to other countries with free trade agreements with nations whose workers work their butts off for much less money than our workers. We have to work for a bit less in order to keep our jobs and that will take the enacting of right to work laws all over the country.

I am embarrassed even to have to explain it to you but the reason why our jobs are being outsourced is because the economic systems in the target countries is less developed so their 'dollar' is worth less than ours. Also, their governments are run much like ours and they abandon their poor people to their fate making them readily exploitable by our captains of industry. We will have to work for a lot less to make it worth it to American industrialists to repatriate the jobs they have sent south of the border or overseas! Are you prepared to live with eight other adult strangers in a two bedroom apartment?? Are you prepared to give up your car? Your girlfriend? Are you prepared to give up everything, just for the "Right To Work"? I am not. You are on a very slippery slope of rationalization and you will one day find yourself in slavery Moderator cut: Unnecessary comment

H

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-25-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 12:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Walmart has more defenders than I ever thought possible. These people praise this gluttonous giant bcause they sell them crap cheap (because it is cheap crap). They have no thought to how and why Walmart can accomplish this. They complain about the state of the economy, but devotedly run to Walmart from everything from soup to nuts (even if they're toxically produced in China). If Walmart was boycotted until they only sold things made in the USA, this would be the most patriotic thing an American could do concerning the issue of unfair trade agreements and job loss.
What's funny is the people who support Wal-Mart are not educated and wealthy white collar people. The people who support Wal-Mart are the very people who they fire and don't provide benefits to. It just goes to show you this country judges things on tone instead of substance. Blue collar people like Wal-Mart because of its image. They think Wal-Mart represent good ole country folk with conservative Christian values because they are from Arkansas and waive a lot of U.S. flags in their store.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post

Is this a parody post?

Old 01-25-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can the government save us? Would them taking over the whole thing be the real answer? I think I have read for about 60 years many things like this post from you that tried to tell people something that I just don't agree with. At least you called Obama by the adjective term I would use in talking about him. Look at the crowd he has at the White House advising him.
You remain fixated on Obama as if there has never been anyone like him in recorded history. In your next sentence you say "Look at the crowd he has... advising him". I am not an economist but economists agree that in a recession you spend! You don't agree, tough! It doesn't surprise me that you would find difference with Democratic ideals. Massachusets has state run UHC. Massachusets is not especially wealthy nor especially insolvent. I wouldn't have much to say if the lunatic Republican fringe individualist ethic resulted in an economy where there was at least a semblance of Capitalist comfort but can you honestly say that the train wreck of the Bush administration was something to admire and replicate? You want to run the Demmies out and put this country back under Republican robber barons to complete the transfer of wealth from the middle class into the coffers of the 1%? Not without a fight.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies