Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:32 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,056,691 times

Advertisements

Sanford's lieutenant governor, Andre Bauer, likens government assistance to feeding stray animals

Just adding a new link to the story. The first one seems to have malfunctioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Some people, generally "compassionate conservatives", live, breath and preach coercion as to force compliant behavior. When will they understand you get more effective results with honey than the whip? I can only guess they were raised by domineering parents and either don't know any better or are just passing the misery on to people that cannot fight back.

Even I have to admire the cruelty and stupidity of threatening to take food from kids to force people that have given up and dropped out to get back in the game. Petty tyrants are still tyrants and should, at a minimum, be ignored at best or slapped down really hard. After all they believe in coercion.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,870,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Whats to argue with this?

Bauer's remarks came during a speech in which he said government should take away assistance if those receiving help didn't pass drug tests or attend parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings if their children were receiving free and reduced-price lunches.

Or this?

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government then you owe something back.'”...............
“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

This is the first I have ever heard of the guy, and while his analogy of feeding stray animals was off putting at best he really isn't saying anything that outlandish. Why not have people on government assistance be required to attend parent teacher conferences? Or if they are currently unemployed, why not make them 'volunteer' at their childs school? And yes - if a parent can't pass a drug test then that person has no right to parent. Drug addicts are bad parents, why is that news?
Good post... I have been listening to radio stations that have said the same thing... that parents are NOT involved enough with their kids... even African American radio's and television AGREED with Bauer's remarks.. its not racial and its not hypocritical as liberals would like to try to paint it... its trying to FIX a problem which liberals refuse to do time and time again... I guess the liberals don't want people to get better cause then they will lose all their supporters..

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,297 times
frankie117 wrote;
Quote:
Mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients was one of my ideas. And before anyone calls me out on it, yes, I would support child services taking the kid(s) away from a parent who tests positive for drug use..
Let's take the words "welfare recipients" out of that statement. Are you still for mandatory drug tests? Are you for taking kids away from ALL parents who test positive for drugs? Even upper middle class parents? Which is where most of the drug problems are in this country.

Any idea how to pay for all this drug testing?

BTW, you do realize that after the welfare reform under Clinton that people do not stay on welfare for life, right? Now they're forced to take sub-minimum wages at Wal-Mart.

golfgod

Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,094,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I love this guy, I think he should have a picture right in front with how he portrays what compassionate conservatives are about.

I hope people in the tea parties on public assistance of all sorts cheered him too.

He is no where near a conservative. He is a gay RINO according to the gay community. Hopefully the Republicans will get rid of all the RINOs.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,479,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Good post... I have been listening to radio stations that have said the same thing... that parents are NOT involved enough with their kids... even African American radio's and television AGREED with Bauer's remarks.. its not racial and its not hypocritical as liberals would like to try to paint it... its trying to FIX a problem which liberals refuse to do time and time again... I guess the liberals don't want people to get better cause then they will lose all their supporters..
This wasn't trying to FIX a problem. This was just an extreme attack of hate on the poor.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,839,723 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50-fimhM-U

Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Whats to argue with this?

Bauer's remarks came during a speech in which he said government should take away assistance if those receiving help didn't pass drug tests or attend parent-teacher conferences or PTA meetings if their children were receiving free and reduced-price lunches.

Or this?

Later in his speech, he said, “I can show you a bar graph where free and reduced lunch has the worst test scores in the state of South Carolina,” adding, “You show me the school that has the highest free and reduced lunch and I'll show you the worst test scores, folks. It's there, period. So how do you fix it? Well you say, ‘Look, if you receive goods or services from the government then you owe something back.'”...............
“You go to a school where there's an active participation of parents and guess what? They have the highest test scores. So what do you do? You say, ‘Look folks, if you receive goods or services from the government and you don't attend a parent-teacher conference, bam, you lose your benefits.' We're going to have to do things like that. We can't afford to keep just giving money away.”

This is the first I have ever heard of the guy, and while his analogy of feeding stray animals was off putting at best he really isn't saying anything that outlandish. Why not have people on government assistance be required to attend parent teacher conferences? Or if they are currently unemployed, why not make them 'volunteer' at their childs school? And yes - if a parent can't pass a drug test then that person has no right to parent. Drug addicts are bad parents, why is that news?
Do you think punishing the children by taking away their lunch and making them go hungry is a good idea just because they have deadbeat parents?

Also, do you believe that providing lunch to these children is the cause of poor test scores? How about poor social-economic home life, wouldn't that most likely be the common denominator of needing food and poor school performance? Now, we should again punish the children by making them go hungry. Wouldn't that be like punishing the rape victim because she was raped?

South Carolina's lieutenant governor is a idiotic bigot!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Sanford's lieutenant governor, Andre Bauer, likens government assistance to feeding stray animals

Read more: Sanford's lieutenant governor, Andre Bauer, likens government assistance to feeding stray animals

Quote:
"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals," he said during a Town Hall meeting on Thursday.

"You know why? Because they breed! You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that."

Old 01-26-2010, 03:51 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,616,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Should we do more to try and increase parental interaction with schools? Absolutely, but forcing it, and taking important things away from the kids if the parents don't or can't comply is not the way to go about it.
To me, welfare is a privilage of living in a prosperous and benevolent state. If we are going to give someone welfare, then why shouldn't they actually show some semblance of responsiblity and see how their child is doing in school. Some of you are acting like he said to put them in chain gangs.

Like Camping said, most everyone has sympathy for the working poor or the disabiled, but someone who is able bodied/minded should work, somehow, someway. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies