Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:15 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It doesn't **** me off or offend me. Men need to man up in general. A real man can't be emasculated by feminism but girly-men will use that excuse.
They can if they were raised from an infant and all through their public school and college years to think that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Oh, if this ad made you mad then please don't give us an opinion of the Bud Lite "Man Law" series of beer commercials.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
This thread is complete lulz.
Using the word "lulz", excesive use of LOL, "ur" instead of you're, etc. is a perfect example of how a man doesn't act. Snide and glib comments behind someone's back is another. David Spade comes to mind as a "man" more at home with a skirt than pants.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
So a merchant is trying to appeal to some potential buyers insecurities to get them to buy their way into popularity and acceptance. What else is new?
The shame is when it works but if it didn't the cosmetics and false boob industry wouldn't be as big as they are.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Using the word "lulz", excesive use of LOL, "ur" instead of you're, etc. is a perfect example of how a man doesn't act. Snide and glib comments behind someone's back is another. David Spade comes to mind as a "man" more at home with a skirt than pants.
Gender policing is a perfect example of how any human being with an IQ above the average life expectancy in Angola doesn't act.

I don't know if this counts as a snide comment behind your back, but it's about as close to in your face as one can get through this medium.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Hopefully this p*sses off some of the feminists and latte drinking doughy wimps.

Dockers® Store Online - Live Khaki (http://www.us.dockers.com/season/landing.aspx - broken link)
I like the ad. I agree with the message. I'm not entirely sure Dockers fit the message.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Sure it does. I would be "jilted" if I couldn't find a woman to settle down with and bear our children, who looks to me as a protector and I look to her as a nurturer. Fortunately, all of that won't be a problem.

Now I get to eat some popcorn while her former friends (no longer friends because they're such b***hes) are lonely and miserable. I get the same satisfaction from watching deadbeats get foreclosed on, but that is another topic for another time.
The ad is just a tool to get consumers to consume. Shock value is nothing new. What's interesting and possibly concerning about this thread is that you garner pleasure from the potential suffering of others. Sadly, you're in good company. This seems to be a nasty, common trait for a lot of people. It's not manly or feminine. If not sociopathic, definately childish. The best we can hope for others is the best we have for ourselves. If this is the character you intend to cultivate as you grow older, a good woman at home will not be enough to circumvent such misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I see nothing wrong with that ad. Everything it says men don't do anymore they should. I am a female and I don't need men to understand feminism to feel equal to them. I like when a man opens my door, pulls out my chair and yes is strong and protective of me.
The ad is shallow, as all consumer-related tokens are. The fact that marketers know consumers will rally behind it is telling. Imo, too many folk draw on ideas of masculine and feminine from TV/media. Better said, draw on the media in general.

The first thought that came to mind for me when I read the bit about helping old ladies cross the street was a friend of mind that volunteers at hospice. This was followed up by memories of the nurse that made herself available to me the night my brother was passing. I didn't think helping people in such raw ways to be feminine or masculine.

OTOH, my dh does open doors for me and he pulls my chair. But, I consider this indulgent role play that tickles me.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I like the ad. I agree with the message. I'm not entirely sure Dockers fit the message.
I think khakis draws a balance between pseudo-masculinity which requires a man to own a pickup and wear jeans (usually with a big gut and a boorish personality - sorta like the F150 ads with that lousy excuse for a "man", Howie Long), versus a secure honorable version of masculinity where the man isn't worried about how he's perceived, but does the right thing because...it's simply the right thing. Many of the man-haters and folks crying sexism are trying to muddy the waters between the two groups.

Dockers played their marketing hand VERY well, and I wish them the best come Super Bowl time!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
Quote:
Hopefully this p*sses off some of the feminists and latte drinking doughy wimps.

Dockers® Store Online - Live Khaki (http://www.us.dockers.com/season/landing.aspx - broken link)
whats the big wup...dockers make pants for girls...

http://zoom.jcpenney.com/is/image/0900631b8170a790M.tif?wid=132&hei=132&op_sharpen=1 (broken link)

Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am insulted by the ad’s assertion that I am less manly because I don't wear Dockers. I am a man because I know I am not because some dips**t advertiser says I am. I am a man weather I am on a riverboat in 'Nam wearing Navy jeans or in bed with my wife of forty+ years wearing nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies