Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Can you tell the difference between a government and a household? It doesn't really seem like it here.
i can tell you that my household is run a lot better than this government but i have an advantage because i never did see debt as wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i can tell you that my household is run a lot better than this government but i have an advantage because i never did see debt as wealth.
saganista is the hungover Keynes in this video. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
The last stimulus bill was nothing more than a placebo.
Hmmm. The placebo is supporting something close to two million jobs and adding about two points worth of GDP growth as of the 4th quarter. Sounds like more than what sugar pills would have done...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
"corporations" donate about equally between the right and left

its the UNIONS that are where the trouble is 90% of the donations from unions go to the left
Unions, which were created to protect individuals from which you get your name, realistically are overpowered when it comes to corporate America's financial might.

And really if you identify with your namesake, you SHOULD read my previous linked info as the lack of campaign finance reform and bad trade agreements could very well lead to the banana republic of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Hey, here's a crazy thought.

Instead of juicy pork chop bill, lets instead put that money into public campaign finance reform and end the corporate stranglehold on Washington.

Oh, and here's an even crazier idea. We actually get our government to make trade agreements that *gasp* stimulate jobs here in the states rather than China.

But who am I kidding, what reputable person would come up with that kind of nonsense? I mean, really?

Last edited by kovert; 01-26-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Seriously...what a way to try guilting someone to spend. What about saving for capital formation or investing? Is that taboo to the Keynesian village idiots?
LOL. You do realize that in addition to 10% unemployment, capacity utilization is struggling around 70%? That would mean that about twice as much capital is already sitting idle than what would be the case in a healthy economy. And your idea is that we need to create more of it? Brilliant. Here's a better idea...much better. How about we create some more demand which will cue business to begin actually using some of that idle human and other capital. Think of it...jobs go up, payrolls go up, profits go up, tax receipts go up, the deficit goes down. Everybody's a winner here, but you can't see the light, I guess...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Yes, we need another stimulus. You don't get out of a recession by cutting spending. You have to stimulate the economy through government spending. It's the only thing that works.

Hmm, intersting. Can you point a single instance in which a government stimulus plan actually worked.

The Depression in the United States

The New Deal never worked, and unemployment only declined after hundreds of thousands of young men were pulled out of the work force by the newly reinstated military draft in the fall of 1940.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Unions, which were created to protect individuals from which you get name, realistically are overpowered when it comes to corporate America's financial might.

And really if you identify with your namesake, you SHOULD read my previous linked info as the lack of campaign finance reform and bad trade agreements could very well lead to the banana republic of America.
I agree,,we do need campaign finance reform...we need to ELIMINATE campaign finance PERIOD.. it should be an EVEN boat, both given even air time, by the government.(NOTHING at all GIVEN FROM THE PRIVATE SECTOR)......................and UNIONS that were a good thing 75 years ago, are what is killing america NOW,,that and NAFTA/cafta/gatt and Senator obama's Oman free trade agreement

Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
LOL. You do realize that in addition to 10% unemployment, capacity utilization is struggling around 70%? That would mean that about twice as much capital is already sitting idle than what would be the case in a healthy economy. And your idea is that we need to create more of it? Brilliant. Here's a better idea...much better. How about we create some more demand which will cue business to begin actually using some of that idle human and other capital. Think of it...jobs go up, payrolls go up, profits go up, tax receipts go up, the deficit goes down. Everybody's a winner here, but you can't see the light, I guess...
how about eliminating NAFTA/GATT/CAFTA/OFTA etc and reenstating the import tarriffs, and lower the corporate tax...that will get the JOBS back to the usa

why is the number one selling appliance company currently LG??? do you even know what LG is,, LG is Lucky-Goldstar,,,or as known in the USA until about 5 years ago as just Goldstar...a MEDIOCRE korean company

we have lost 50 million jobs in the 17 years since Nafta was passed by the democrat controlled congress in December of 1993 and signed into law by clinton

the stimulas did NOTHING, it hasnt CREATED any jobs, and has barely saved any

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
The stimulus only works as long as it stays in place. It doesn't jumpstart the economy as politicians or some posters would tell you. Eventually, you have to get off that treadmill because the national debt will become too large a burden to the economy.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Please, do tell how we magically create more demand? Do you have a magic wand or do you just snap your fingers and BOOM!! Demand for products and services soars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies