Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:48 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,840,051 times

Advertisements

I think its important that if you feel your rights are being violated, that you document that with the officers superiors...If the officer is indeed a person that works by his own rules, then a paper trail is helpful to show this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,435,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
I think he is specifically referring to the primary reason for the traffic stop.
The police need probable cause to pull someone over. Unfounded "suspicion" of drug possession or use is not a valid reason.

He got pulled over for a legal reason, albeit a stupid one.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
strange, I do think alot of cops do use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper, otherwise there would be no drunk driving points, or seat belt laws.

heck, if politicians followed the Bill of Rights as written, there would be no cops either.

You've drawn a parallel that has no logical basis.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,721,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I might have more respect for the police if they didn't routinely use the Bill of Rights for toilet paper.

While driving home tonight I was stopped and subjected to a random and unconstitutional investigation for marijuana possession. After pulling me over for a dirty license plate, the cop asked me if I had marijuana in the vehicle. When I asked the specific reason why he believed I had marijuana in the vehicle, he didn't have an answer and realized that he had no probable cause to investigate me for marijuana possession, that I knew my rights and that I was calling him on his illegal investigation.

A tip of the hat to Flexyourrights.org/busted

Thanks to that organization, I immediately recognized when the cop crossed the line.
Sounds like you spent hours trying to look like a thug and now you are complaining because you are treated like one

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
[MOD CUT]

Being in a "supicious area" is not a valid reason for a traffic stop.

The dirty plate is not just an "excuse", it constitutes a flimsy reason for an illegal traffic stop with no probable cause.

Obviously no one here knows the full story, but if taken as described then the person who posted this thread had their constitutional rights violated by the police.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I have been pulled over for the "dirty license plate" offense. In neither case was the plate dirty. I had just left a big party in a small town and the cop was trolling for drunks. He asked for my license and registration and unobtrusively sniffed my breath. Both were in limits as I had not had any alcohol at the party.

I was annoyed by the light intimidation by using the search light and blue flashers on the cop car. This kid was treating me as an enemy and not a presumably innocent citizen.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,066,236 times
I would have more respect for people who scream about cops invading people's rights if a large majority weren't defending themselves of violating other people's rights the police are trying to defend.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
strange, I do think alot of cops do use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper, otherwise there would be no drunk driving points, or seat belt laws.

heck, if politicians followed the Bill of Rights as written, there would be no cops either.
Seat belt laws are created by the legislature, not the police. Courts have ruled that drunk driving points are legal. They can have points as long as they stop everyone.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM

37,960 posts, read 17,902,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I might have more respect for the police if they didn't routinely use the Bill of Rights for toilet paper.

While driving home tonight I was stopped and subjected to a random and unconstitutional investigation for marijuana possession. After pulling me over for a dirty license plate, the cop asked me if I had marijuana in the vehicle. When I asked the specific reason why he believed I had marijuana in the vehicle, he didn't have an answer and realized that he had no probable cause to investigate me for marijuana possession, that I knew my rights and that I was calling him on his illegal investigation.

A tip of the hat to Flexyourrights.org/busted

Thanks to that organization, I immediately recognized when the cop crossed the line.
Way to stick it to the man, Momo!!!! lol

That is a very good sight btw. Drive Safe.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,335,617 times
No harm, no foul. The cop did not cross the line. He asked a question, completely within his right. He did not insist on unjustly searching you or your vehicle, so what is the problem?

I feel for our police men and women. They have no idea what they are going to encounter when they approach a vehicle, and they put their own lives on the line daily.... all in the name to serve and protect the very citizens that will spit in their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies