Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The first flaw in your reasoning is that the practice of medicine is not a charity.

It's a business.

I love philosophy but I live in the real world.
Your conclusion is wrong. The point was that government imposed obligation to pay for others' medical care is slavery, not charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
The first flaw in your reasoning is that the practice of medicine is not a charity.

It's a business.

I love philosophy but I live in the real world.
I am trying to understand your post... are you saying that medicine should be a charity?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
and just to make things CRYSTAL clear, im all for government health care. Everyone should have some sort of heath care
Did someone suggest this man is not getting health care? It sounds like he's being cared for...even though he has no insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lot of poor people don't know how to save money and end up spending it on smoking cigarettes and etc. This couple smokes alot.
So you are saying they had priorities other than providing insurance for themselves and their kids and we're supposed to do what about that? They live in a shack with 5 kids and yet they spend money on cigarettes...a very expensive habit.
Being poor isn't an excuse not to provide the best you can for yourself and your family.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
A friend of mine was in Vanderbilt Hospital for three days in the burn unit and the medical bill is 80,000 dollars and this person has no medical insurance. Now I see why everyone needs health insurance without question. And this friend's wife was in and out as a out patient and her bill is 20,000.

John
It is very unfortunte that your friend was hurt this way. Being burned is not only very painful but very disfiguring.

Often such terrible events can be avoided with a little planning. Prevention is always much better. I hope that this situation was not a result of your friend's (or his wife's) own negligence. That would be truly sad.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
I'm so sick and tired of the Conservatives basically saying "Can't afford insurance? Well, time to bite the dust then".

Great that you all have never in a position of need. But there are millions of Americans out there that do need it.
So much irgnorance, it's not funny. Wondering if that's what the founding fathers wanted. Americans giving a **** about fellow Americans.

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Did someone suggest this man is not getting health care? It sounds like he's being cared for...even though he has no insurance.

So you are saying they had priorities other than providing insurance for themselves and their kids and we're supposed to do what about that? They live in a shack with 5 kids and yet they spend money on cigarettes...a very expensive habit.
Being poor isn't an excuse not to provide the best you can for yourself and your family.
Your right there priorities real messed up.

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentrified Chicken View Post
That's what catastrophic plans are for. Here in DC, catastrophic plans average around $70-100 per month. Time to put away the lattes, premium gas, bowling night, and the hi-def cable tv...
Or the smokes, as in these 'poor' people's case.

Quote:
Lot of poor people don't know how to save money and end up spending it on smoking cigarettes and etc. This couple smokes alot.
They have very little money, and they choose to spend what little they do have on cigarettes because they "smoke a lot."

Why couldn't that cigarette money have gone instead for a very basic insurance policy?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Your right there priorities real messed up.
If I were them, I would call the hospital first to try to lower the bill... then after that call the doctors who did the care and ask them to void their bills... it could potentially knock off several thousands of dollars of debt... perhaps ask medicaid for assistance... or file bankruptcy and considering that after the fire, they really have no possessions left for creditors they should be okay... relatively speaking of course...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times
Poor money wise because of never able to save money. They have no possessions at all. They have vehicle which is 15 years old and that's it.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentrified Chicken View Post
That's what catastrophic plans are for. Here in DC, catastrophic plans average around $70-100 per month. Time to put away the lattes, premium gas, bowling night, and the hi-def cable tv if sub-$100 insurance is problematic.
I have a HUGE problem w/this kind of thinking. I'm sick & tired of the self-righteous assuming that people are spending their money on frivolous things rather than saving for a rainy day. Have you never met a person who, even though they didn't go bowling or watch movies STILL was poor? I have, my best friend is in that situation right now. And speaking of getting rid of these activities or vices....what do you suggest people do, closet themselves up in their homes staring at the wall doing absolutely nothing? People need to get out & do things for their own sanity. I'd love to see some of you sacrific EVERYTHING, including coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, magazines, cable, ipods, music, movies, occasional dinners out, good cheese, meals other than ramen noodles, etc. etc. etc. & see how well your sanity goes. There's nothing I loathe more than righteousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies