Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I did a poor job of pointing out that some of the effects of the economy are people living beyond their means. It's not luck on my part, but mostly common sense.
I take back my harsh post about gloating kentuckydad.

I practice common sense too when it come to money and plastic pumpkins.
But I also consider myself lucky in that my shoulder hasn't been tapped at work. I have no control over that...no corporate slave does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm doing fine, the town I live in has the lowest unemployment in the state, the county has the lowest unemployment in the state. Sure some businesses have had to adapt to the slump in the economy but that is mostly caused by events outside our area.
Calling the OPs comments trollish appears tpo be an attempt to censor any opinion that does not match yours.
I called his post trollish as it came across to me as gloating.
The poster replied and I replied to his reply. I did take back my harsh post as it's been clarified.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I take back my harsh post about gloating kentuckydad.

I practice common sense too when it come to money and plastic pumpkins.
But I also consider myself lucky in that my shoulder hasn't been tapped at work. I have no control over that...no corporate slave does.
Totally agree with you... I've been very lucky but, I also have no debt now... been living pretty frugally.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
No, you cannot control being fired or laid-off at work. However, ALOT and I mean alot of people are in economic problems from their own doing's. How?

Buying a $300K home, while having a household income of $40K. Sure, you can blame the bank all you want and yeah, they should have laughed at you out the door, but it is common sense to know you can't swing that much home on that salary.

Plastic...and more plastic. Why do you need a credit card for Old Navy? Hell, take a hundred in there and buy a good amount of clothing. We have ONE credit card.

Purchasing crap you don't need. Sure, you may use the hell out of your iPhone, but did you have to camp out in the cold overnight to pay a jacked up price because the product was new?

Common sense is something alot of people lack and luck is luck. Most of the time you can control alot of that luck.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
I keep hearing how this economy is still in the tank, but our family seems to be doing well. We purchased a home on 6 acres, I have started contributing more to my retirement fund, have purchased two cars and going on our first family vacation, because now we can afford it. How did we do this? Well, first off we purchased a home we could AFFORD. We don't have six credit cards and we live on something called a budget. We are just a middle-class family that hasn't seen this so-called economic collapse. Anyone else doing well?

(And yes, I am thankful) It's called living within your means.
I do feel pretty lucky to be in a company that is thriving in this economy. Based on a few conversations with colleagues, it seems that our industry is picking up as well. I'm still paranoid as all hell, tho. Financially, things are tight, but we're surviving on one income (by choice).

Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Do you want a medal or something? It all could go bye bye very quickly if you get laid off, which is what has happened to hundreds of thousands of people. Do you think they're all lazy people living beyond their means? You already started another thread basically saying everyone can get a job if they want to. You need a harsh dose of reality, one day you will find yourself in their shoes and it won't be pretty.

My family has managed to continue to do quite well, but I feel no need to start threads to gloat about it and look down upon and judge people going through tough times. It could only take a few bad things happening to be on the bottom.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:27 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
Only 3 of my 11 past employers (over the past 30 years) are still in business -and I was downsized out of one of those during a massive layoff. What type of employer do you have and what sort of work do you do?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:27 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Do you want a medal or something? It all could go bye bye very quickly if you get laid off, which is what has happened to hundreds of thousands of people. Do you think they're all lazy people living beyond their means? You already started another thread basically saying everyone can get a job if they want to. You need a harsh dose of reality, one day you will find yourself in their shoes and it won't be pretty.

My family has managed to continue to do quite well, but I feel no need to start threads to gloat about it and look down upon and judge people going through tough times. It could only take a few bad things happening to be on the bottom.
You've missed the point. Once again, I was pointing out that alot of this is brought on by themselves.

And if I lose my government job, something drastic has gone wrong.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
I keep hearing how this economy is still in the tank, but our family seems to be doing well. We purchased a home on 6 acres, I have started contributing more to my retirement fund, have purchased two cars and going on our first family vacation, because now we can afford it. How did we do this? Well, first off we purchased a home we could AFFORD. We don't have six credit cards and we live on something called a budget. We are just a middle-class family that hasn't seen this so-called economic collapse. Anyone else doing well?

Even though the gloating has been addressed, I just want to say, "Big Whoop"! Do you think that everyone who got laid off brought it on themselves by buying expensive houses and carrying too many credit cards? Do you think your lack of same has helped you keep your job? Your lack of empathy is overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

Agreed.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:39 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:

2009 was a great year for me as well (took 3 vacations, 2 of which were abroad, bought a new Mercedes, increased my monthly investment contributions, etc)

However, I would never purposely gloat to others who are having a very difficult year and then proceed to blame them for it.

Everyone who has lost a job, become ill or had other unforseen tragedies did not bring it upon themselves. People who have lived well within their means have also hit difficult times. You wouldn't be singing the same tune if, for exampe, your child became very sick and your insurance company wouldn't cover it.

It is very arrogant to believe that you are personally invincible to the ways of fate. And besides, I really wouldn't brag about living the "high life" in Kentucky of all places. Your cost of living is pennies when compared to LA or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies