Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

I guess was not not quite ready. I've been without electricity (no water or heat) for three days now simply because of an ice storm a seasonal occurrence on the Texas High Plains. I can't imagine what would happen if something really significant happened. I will be ready the next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I guess was not not quite ready. I've been without electricity (no water or heat) for three days now simply because of an ice storm a seasonal occurrence on the Texas High Plains. I can't imagine what would happen if something really significant happened. I will be ready the next time.
In the ice storm of 2000 I lost it for 5 days. You live and learn!

Contingency Plans For Catastrophe-generatorhondaeb11000.jpg

Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times
I know the feeling. In my ol days in Ky an ice storm could put us out of power for a week at a time. Now you think that was a discomfort, imagine if added to that were serious worries about security both foreign and domestic. You never hear politicos addressing this even after the catastrophy that was 9/11. What makes us think we are so secure that, if one, probably not so hard to accomplish catastrophe, that removed primary heads of state occurred, we could pull it back togeather without a preconceived strategy for implementation. Do we have one? I don't believe we do?.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:19 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,056 times
All your questions will be answered if you look up "Continuity of government" which was put in place under President Reagan. I also think you will be shocked at what it says. Like in the event of catastrophe under continuity of gov, that a new President can be appointed.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Thank you, in addition to it making a reasonable point of discussion I was earnestly interested in "The Plan" as what to expect from high level implementation. I will check the link.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:31 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Thank you, in addition to it making a reasonable point of discussion I was earnestly interested in "The Plan" as what to expect from high level implementation. I will check the link.
Check this too!
Blackwater Worldwide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They know "the plan"

Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Check this too!
Blackwater Worldwide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They know "the plan"

Well thank you gentlemen for showing me the plan and as I suspected since I have heard nothing of it. There is no fu.king plan! If what I just read is correct no plan was adopted from commission recommendations. So I will check Blackwater as you suggest.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 PM

I respect your trying to be cute KevK, but I don't get it. Of all the silly partisan things we converse over here and everywhere in this nation I can't think of a single thing that unites us more than our self preservation and yet what I am seeing here is what I suspected, we are a nation run by idiots on the left and the right and none of thes csrs have a clue right down to what is going to keep an orderly society short of Martial Law if we lose the csrs themselves to leadership. It doesn't matter to me so much that,- they can't lead anyway, what matters is that it at least puts a mirage for the world to see and for the citizenry to see that there is at least an illusion of security. What the hell?

Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
In the ice storm of 2000 I lost it for 5 days. You live and learn!

Attachment 57286
I have a 5000 w Coleman generator as well as an 1800 w Sears alternator but my main problem was that I had not rewired my well pump so I could easily operate it from the generator. Losing water has been the worse part because I had kerosene and electrical heaters for heat. As well, on the colder mornings, I ran the central heat system from the generator which worked well.

Right now the Coleman is sitting on my front porch and running my computer and a small electric heater in the bedroom. We are supposed to get power back by midnight tonight, or by sometime in the morning, but I doubt they really know we are pretty isolated out here. We seem to have gotten the worse part of what hit the Texas southern High Plains.

I had been considering a small wind turbine for our new home but this makes it a certainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies