Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times

Advertisements

Remember how shocked and incredulous the nation was when those aircraft hit the world trade center and brought down those bulidings. The terrorists struck at the economic nerve fiber of the capitalist system.
Why wouldn't the next objective be to strike at the heart of our political system. Everyone both right and left would agree we had no contingency plan in place for the first disaster.

By example, if a Ryder truck pulled onto Pennsylvania avenue and detonated a suitcase bomb while congress was in session and Obama, bobble head Joe, and botox Nancy all went up in smoke along with half our political structure...well what is the contingency plan? Who would be in charge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post

By example, if a Ryder truck pulled onto Pennsylvania avenue and detonated a suitcase bomb while congress was in session and Obama, bobble head Joe, and botox Nancy all went up in smoke along with half our political structure...well what is the contingency plan? Who would be in charge?
If the above happened, we would be looking at Robert Byrd as the President. haha God help us!

Heres' the list:

1 Vice President......................................... ......Joe Biden
2 Speaker of the House....................................Nancy Pelosi
3 President pro tempore of the Senate...............Robert Byrd
4 Secretary of State.........................................Hill ary Clinton
5 Secretary of the Treasury...............................Timothy Geithner
6 Secretary of Defense.....................................Robert Gates[2]
7 Attorney General........................................... Eric Holder
8 Secretary of the Interior.................................Ken Salazar
9 Secretary of Agriculture..................................Tom Vilsack
10 Secretary of Commerce..................................Gary Locke
11 Secretary of Labor.........................................Hild a Solis
12 Secretary of Health and Human Services..........Kathleen Sebelius
13 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development..Shaun Donovan
14 Secretary of Transportation............................Ray LaHood
15 Secretary of Energy.......................................Steve n Chu
16 Secretary of Education...................................Arne Duncan
17 Secretary of Veterans Affairs..........................Eric Shinseki
18 Secretary of Homeland Security......................Janet Napolitano

Old 01-30-2010, 11:22 AM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Remember how shocked and incredulous the nation was when those aircraft hit the world trade center and brought down those bulidings. The terrorists struck at the economic nerve fiber of the capitalist system.
Why wouldn't the next objective be to strike at the heart of our political system. Everyone both right and left would agree we had no contingency plan in place for the first disaster.

I don't know, but I suspect anyone would be an upgrade.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:27 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:

Probably the 2nd Amendment would be in charge.

All the armed Conservatives would begin shooting all the unarmed Liberals.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
If the above happened, we would be looking at Robert Byrd as the President. haha God help us!

Heres' the list:

1 Vice President......................................... ......Joe Biden
2 Speaker of the House....................................Nancy Pelosi
3 President pro tempore of the Senate...............Robert Byrd
4 Secretary of State.........................................Hill ary Clinton
5 Secretary of the Treasury...............................Timothy Geithner
6 Secretary of Defense.....................................Robert Gates[2]
7 Attorney General........................................... Eric Holder
8 Secretary of the Interior.................................Ken Salazar
9 Secretary of Agriculture..................................Tom Vilsack
10 Secretary of Commerce..................................Gary Locke
11 Secretary of Labor.........................................Hild a Solis
12 Secretary of Health and Human Services..........Kathleen Sebelius
13 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development..Shaun Donovan
14 Secretary of Transportation............................Ray LaHood
15 Secretary of Energy.......................................Steve n Chu
16 Secretary of Education...................................Arne Duncan
17 Secretary of Veterans Affairs..........................Eric Shinseki
18 Secretary of Homeland Security......................Janet Napolitano

That is interesting and scary as I did not honestly know the answer. I knew it would vbe first Joe then Nancy but beyond that I wasn't sure.

I am not ver comfortable with that. Shouldn't there be a contingency plan, I mean seriously that would give some measure of comfort to the American people that life is going to go on? How many people in the country understand that we are about as deep as a top 100 basketball team?
I am not comfortable with your answer, I was hoping it would go military, i.e. to the joint chiefs, or to a contingency plan for an immediate election by a committee of representatives until and election could be held. I wonder how many of my fellow citizens understand that in such a situation, a relatively unknown could be calling the shots of what the hell are we going to do now?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Probably the 2nd Amendment would be in charge.

All the armed Conservatives would begin shooting all the unarmed Liberals.
Well, Ergo I suspect there definatley would be an uncertainty, suspension of rule of law that might create some unprecedented circumstances. I guess you are touching on the main point I am making by starting the thread with that expression. In the mind of a terrorist if you cut off the head of the dragon, new little ones may spring up but in effect you may neutralize the dragon.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Whom ever would be in charge! This gives us food for thought, should it not. The thought in it self, is very frighteining.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

It does indeed CJ and I have to wonder if it is being considered in the heirarchy of things, given appropriate consideration as the 9/11 catastrophe should have been. For instance, why don't we have a federal emergency managment plan that extends right down to the citizenry that would assist us in avoiding the kind of civil chaos that Ergo mentioned?

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
.. why don't we have a federal emergency managment plan that extends right down to the citizenry that would assist us in avoiding the kind of civil chaos that Ergo mentioned?
Actually we do to some extent, it's the National Guard. I'd imagine in such a situation what they could do is far beyond that of anyone else because you have a certain amount of trust involved. An armed military presence in a community made of people from your community would be welcomed by most.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
remember how shocked and incredulous the nation was when those aircraft hit the world trade center and brought down those bulidings. The terrorists struck at the economic nerve fiber of the capitalist system.

By example, if a ryder truck pulled onto pennsylvania avenue and detonated a suitcase bomb while congress was in session and obama, bobble head joe, and botox nancy all went up in smoke along with half our political structure...well what is the contingency plan? who would be in charge?
Contingency Plans For Catastrophe-m16-gun_700x312.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies