Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Religion and reason have always coexisted.
Apparently not, especially for folks that don't reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 09:45 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Ah yes, but it's always been an uneasy coexistence hasn't it? Religion has dominated for the vast majority of human history forcing men of science to meet secretly on pain of death by immolation at the stake. Comparatively speaking it hasn't been long since declaring the world round or that it orbited around the sun was a Vatican sanctioned crime.

But men of reason fought the fight back then and we will continue now and as long as it takes until we finally see the day that superstition is properly trampled under foot like the pestilence that it is and always has been.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times

Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Oil and water also "coexist".

Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 AM

418 posts, read 487,849 times
I've supported (in theory) liberal causes, but I vote libertarian; not too crazy about that liberal-conservative false dichotomy. Either way, I've found that the more, physics, biology and chemistry I learned, the more I became an aesthetic.

If you study organic/inorganic chemistry you see that self replicating molecules are quite common, and abiogenesis just further solidifies the specifics. While research in genetics and DNA has practically proved beyond a reasonable doubt that man evolved from other primates (human chromosome #2 the final nail in that coffin).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeCHiUe1et0

Last edited by crazyfacedjenkins; 02-16-2010 at 01:24 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 06:09 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Originally posted by Aconite

For the record, I didn't post that. I think you meant to type Quick Enough's name, but mine's up there by mistake. I'd never post anything that stupid. I'm not angry, just sayin'
My sincerest apologies, Mac. I was having hideous problems with the quote feature yesterday, and I'm sorry you got misattributed in the process!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey Aconite,

You know, that's a good point. I tend not to make that mistake, but I can see how most Abrahamics would do that. I guess what I notice is that there is more atheism/agnosticism on the left than the right. Granted it's anecdotal, but it's just what I've noticed and prompted me to post this thread.

Thanks for sharing.
I think you're probably right; there probably is more on the left overall. Just maybe not as much as people tend to think.

Pagans-- other than the ones who get all sparkly and live at RenFaires and rename themselves things like Lady Arianwen Flutterbunnyunicorn-- tend to be a slippery lot. I get mistaken for Catholic (because I'm a religion geek and can quote the CCC), Pentecostal (because of the way I dress and because I don't wear makeup), and at one point, Muslima. I'm told that in some parts of the rural south people who wear pentacles are mistaken for Jews-- never tested that one because I don't wear a pent. I think people tend not to see things that don't fit their expectations, though, unless it's really glaring.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:50 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Ah yes, but it's always been an uneasy coexistence hasn't it? Religion has dominated for the vast majority of human history forcing men of science to meet secretly on pain of death by immolation at the stake. Comparatively speaking it hasn't been long since declaring the world round or that it orbited around the sun was a Vatican sanctioned crime.

But men of reason fought the fight back then and we will continue now and as long as it takes until we finally see the day that superstition is properly trampled under foot like the pestilence that it is and always has been.
Well that certainly sounds good until you understand that it was scientists in the second century who postulated the Geocentric Theory in the first place, not the Christian Church. And the Vatican didn't burn Copernicus at the stake, in fact Copernicus lived a long life as a devout Catholic who had no run-ins whatsover with the Vatican, even after he published his works.
Most scientists of the recent and distant past had the tacit approval of the church. in fact scientists were very often integral parts of the clerical hierarchy.

That being said, it also should be noted that for every earth shattering discovery or breakthrough which changed the way we view our universe, there have been dozens of other discoveries and breakthroughs which have proven to be wrong and have had horrific consequences for mankind.
Bloodletting anyone?
Scientists and "men of reason" have always required the oversight of skeptical eyes.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
Religious people are brain dead

Old 02-16-2010, 07:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Religion is in the realm of faith and science in the realm of fact. Sometimes they overlap. Both can be abused by tyrannical men that would be kings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies