Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

It really doesn't bother me because the more the White House makes fun of Palin, the more they look like jackasses doing so.
Gibbs actually sat down and wrote this list on his hand. That means that he actually had time to second guess the wisdom of this move and he didn't stop himself.
No one likes a bully and that's how he came across
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I thought it was deliberate. A reference to Mrs Palin's athleticism.

I didn't.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I didn't.
Oh please

Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
I like Palin but that is funny

Old 02-10-2010, 10:58 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Palin will use it and it will backfire yet again on the WH showing yet again she is smarter and more in tune with the american voter than Obama. Watch her write "JOBS" on her palm doing her next speech.

Funny thing is that the WH doesn't see they're the joke. Obama puts a podium and teleprompter in a kids classroom and Palin uses her palm for a reminder cue. The jokes on the elitist clowns in the Obama admin.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:02 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I think it's childish. Doesn't this administration have more pressing issues to tend to?
Ya, in that 30 seconds Gibbs did his little joke he could have been saving the world. Why is it okay for Palin to jab the White House time and time again over the teleprompter but they can't jab her back about her hand-prompter?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Ya, in that 30 seconds Gibbs did his little joke he could have been saving the world. Why is it okay for Palin to jab the White House time and time again over the teleprompter but they can't jab her back about her hand-prompter?
Because Palin does not hold a position in any office of government whereas Robert Gibbs represents the White House, which needs to be held to the highest of standards.

The Obama administration has lowered the standards of the White House many levels over the past year. For example, no longer does the president wear a suit and tie when in the office of the president of the United States which he should to show supreme respect for the office he holds. And Rahm Emanuel shoots the finger at Bush and gives other hand gestures to the opposite party like an elementary child...and the list of crude and childish behaviour from the Obama administration goes on and on and on.

Last edited by highcotton; 02-10-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
There is a huge difference between joking with the reporters about a little known disease (at the time) and calling out, mocking, and ridiculing a person of the opposition. There is no comparison. Even the reporters in the room were not pleased by this stunt. I cannot fathom either Tony Snow or Dana Perrino engaging in such childish behavior, but it's par for the course with this thin-skinned administration. It just makes him look partisan and not only that, it makes the POTUS's claims that he wishes to move forward in a bi-partisan fashion seem disingenuous and a big fat farce... which we all knew anyways.

I think you are missing the point though. I don't have a problem with Dave Letterman or Jon Stewart et al making fun of her for writing notes on her hand. It does seem a bit odd to do in this day and age of technology. Write it in your blackberry or w/e. I just think that for Mr. Gibbs to engage in the ridicule is beneath his office, and further shows the public that this administration has no intention of courting and including the opposition in any substantive manner as they claim they wish to do.
I think you are missing the point. Even Mrs Palin has poked fun at herself for cribbing notes in her palm. This was hardly "calling out" Mrs Palin. This was a very mild joke at her expense, a joke made by numerous other commentators and one which Mrs Palin has shared in. Some of the reporters weren't pleased, others laughed.

When Mrs Palin, someone who uses teleprompters herself, made fun of the President for using teleprompters, she opened herself up to this kind of mockery. On a personal level. She mocks the President, his Press Secretary mocks back. So far as I know, neither the use of teleprompters or cribbing notes is a partisan issue.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
On a personal level. She mocks the President, his Press Secretary mocks back.
exactly. Now why would the President of the US get into a mocking contest with an ordinary citizen? And one he'll lose?

It's as stupid as me getting into a public mocking contest with Don Rickles.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
exactly. Now why would the President of the US get into a mocking contest with an ordinary citizen? And one he'll lose?

It's as stupid as me getting into a public mocking contest with Don Rickles.
The President isn't in a mocking contest.

The Press Secretary made a joke at Mrs Palin's expense during a daily briefing. After numerous others made the same joke. He got a mild laugh. Mrs Palin got a similar mild laugh when she made a similar joke at her own expense. It's not a contest. You are all trying your best to make it into a contest, but it's not.

Press Secretaries have been joking with the press corps for the past fifty years at least. When Speakes made his joking comments about AIDS, no one took it as the White House position on the AIDS epidemic. Why, when Gibbs makes a joke about Mrs Palin, is it supposed to be the White House position on her? Answer, it isn't, except in the minds of people who spend their days trying to find fault with Mr Obama's administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies