Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
But brain shapes cannot be changed. Medication doesn't directly effect any portion of the brain to reshape or reconfigure it. Psychiatric medication has caused a lot of problems. Just research prozac and paxil.
Um, yeah they can. You only have to look at the difference in the brain shape and size of a healthy person or previously healthy person vs that of someone after they've had meningitis or chronic alcoholism or a stroke or motor neurone or alztheimers or multiple sclerosis or a variety of medical conditions. Some brains shrink, some brains become dotted with scars, some brains have parts that die. Some brains have larger parts than average, some have smaller.

AND sure there are no medications to regrow brain tissue but there are medications that can halt the damage.

Brain science is a very interesting area and the work being done with MRI is fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Why would you be friends with a schizophrenic that was paranoid? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You really touched a nerve, and yes i am crying about the friend i had in my past who is no longer here, His Mother is not here, he killed her, i love his Mom so very much, the sweetest woman ever. It just brought back, all that sadness and how very pissed off i was at the time. I had lost faith during that time, found it again, but it was not a easy process.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Why would you be friends with a schizophrenic that was paranoid? I don't get it.

Honest to our God, he was always not like that, it took time but hit bad. You just don't know who the illness is going to hit, but when it does, oh my God, it is hard to wintess, Because in the back of your head, you just keep on picturing the person you use to know. I SWEAR to you, i am not kidding, it is sad. And i tried to help, to no avail, but you still don't give up on a friend that you love. He was fine as a teenager, hit him at about 23. And as a kid, he was the funniest kid on the block, always joking and making people laugh.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:
Artsydude: In this world called Earth sometimes people love people- family, friends, partners- who have issues. Sometimes very severe issues. Medicine cannot always cure something that is "wrong" with a person, but it sure can help in many cases. And sometimes it is the person that gives a damn who sees to it that a person gets help, although one cannot always prevent tragedy from occurring.

I think its related to this human condition called compassion.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Artsydude: In this world called Earth sometimes people love people- family, friends, partners- who have issues. Sometimes very severe issues. Medicine cannot always cure something that is "wrong" with a person, but it sure can help in many cases. And sometimes it is the person that gives a damn who sees to it that a person gets help, although one cannot always prevent tragedy from occurring.

I think its related to this human condition called compassion.

Thank you so much for understanding. Actually, you get so very mad, that you want you friend to come back out, if that makes sense, you don't know this new person, only the old, so not you don't understand, but you do want to help, that is compassion, but also love. I would never just give up on a sick puppy, why should we abandon those that fall prey to an illness no matter what age it hits them at.Mental Illness sucks big time, i will tell you that, but it is the families, that suffer so.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Don't be friends with the schizophrenic then. They have a right to live their own lives. A lot of people believe in conspiracies. You don't have to listen if you don't want too.

Let me ask you something. If one of your parents, suddenly got really ill, was not the Parent that you yourself know, started acting bizarre, would you not get help for that Parent, what would you do. This parent is not the one that you know and love. They are now acting with drawn, scared, alone, talking to someone who is not there, thinking the cops are after them, how would you handle the situation. This is now not the parent you grew up with. Would you just assume they are not sick, take an asprin, and leave it at that, or get the proper treatment. Believe me mental illness is out there, some should not close their minds to it.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 PM

241 posts, read 251,942 times
Quote:
Totally, bro! Similarly, would you be friends with anyone who is not of pure Aryan descent?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,412 times
Quote:
As a behavioral health therapist working in Philadelphia schools, schizophrenia is real sir.

To have a teenager not sleep for days because she is afraid that the people she hallucinates about are going to kill her and then have to sit in a classroom with her when she is hearing voices telling her to kill the other children then you tell me what a mental disability is. This girl cries non stop for hours at a time, if you were a parent with other children, how do you think this would affect your life, your children's lives and the other children who attend her school?

Some patients are actually suffering, can not live a normal life, such as attending school, feeding themselves, clothing themselves or just having the functionality to go on with their day without thinking of killing themselves or others then you can tell me there is no such thing as a "mental illness"

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Love,

Why is she not home-schooled????? That sounds frightening for her.

What makes me frustrated is when schools or colleges try to diagnose a person complaining of minority discrimination or hostility because of protected class with a mental disease or disorder in order to escape responsibility in handling the matter. How do you explain that one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
As a behavioral health therapist working in Philadelphia schools, schizophrenia is real sir.

To have a teenager not sleep for days because she is afraid that the people she hallucinates about are going to kill her and then have to sit in a classroom with her when she is hearing voices telling her to kill the other children then you tell me what a mental disability is. This girl cries non stop for hours at a time, if you were a parent with other children, how do you think this would affect your life, your children's lives and the other children who attend her school?

Some patients are actually suffering, can not live a normal life, such as attending school, feeding themselves, clothing themselves or just having the functionality to go on with their day without thinking of killing themselves or others then you can tell me there is no such thing as a "mental illness"

Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
Totally, bro! Similarly, would you be friends with anyone who is not of pure Aryan descent?

Your not Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies