Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a license be required in order to own a gun?
Yes 41 37.61%
No 65 59.63%
Not sure 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM

536 posts, read 413,999 times

Advertisements

No we shouldn't we have the 2nd amendment to back us up. You wanna change the laws somewhere then you sue to change them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So does that mean you don't think that gun ownership is a right? If it is a right, then why would a license or even a permit be necessary?
No, I do believe ownership is a right, but as i said owning one and carrying one on your hip or where ever you wear one are different things. I have more than my fair share and do have a permit to carry. The thing is for you to get a permit you have to prove your understand guns laws and know how and when to use the weapon, something i would prefer, why treat any different than getting a licence to drive. I see no problem with those that want to carry just show you have some clue about gun handling, would you really want anyone and everyone carrying guns, I know a few that I would feel would be better off not doing so, for themselves and those around them. As I said, I own more than my fair share of guns and have no problem conforming to the law, it comes down to a public safety issue.
Casper

Old 02-14-2010, 08:07 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
I know the laws vary from one place to another, but if there's a right to own a gun, why haven't gun license laws been challenged? If they have been challenged, why have the courts upheld them?

You are right. We should not need a license to own a gun. I am glad you are seeing the light. Do you need a license to own a television or cell phone? How about a soccer ball or golf ball? Those are items of recreation that apparently do not need monitor in America, yet!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:23 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
At least the NOs went down to 60%...

A gun is incompearable to a tv set or cellphone...

Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
At least the NOs went down to 60%...

A gun is incompearable to a tv set or cellphone...
More like a chainsaw or any other dangerous tool.
Casper

Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
I know the laws vary from one place to another, but if there's a right to own a gun, why haven't gun license laws been challenged? If they have been challenged, why have the courts upheld them?

because its not about RIGHTS, its about the 'state' or 'federal' being able to require you to have a license in order for them to get MONEY from you for the license fees

why do you need a license to fish
why do you need a permit tobuild on your own land

why do you need a license to wed??? simple so the government can get a fee (MONEY) from you....other wise its between you and the other person, and the person performing the ceremony

get rid of ALL licenses, and fees

Old 02-14-2010, 09:03 AM

No,in a civilised society,one has to prove to the authorities that he is capable of handling efficiently some hazardous tools,like cars,building equipment &... guns...

We must have a licensing process with strict qualification,to persuade the non -gun pepole to stand by our side & accept our rights to bear arms...

Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
then maybe they should start making that 'strict qualification' a little harder for otherthings.....more people are killed by cars everyyear than by guns

Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 AM

We do,we improve cars,we test for DUI,maybe we should have stricter tests for driver's license...

The anti-autoritative spirit of some Amers,in this particular case of gun carry,is detrimental...

Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Exactly. The cry for the outlawing of guns is the idea that somehow it will stop criminals from owning guns. And even if it did work(though it doesn't), and they didn't have a gun themselves. Criminals are usually young and strong, and tend to pick on the old and weak. But guns are the great equalizer. It doesn't matter if you are weak or not, if some young punk comes up to you trying to rob you, shoot his ass.

I don't know how the liberals have been so successful in limiting peoples rights. It is funny how liberals talk about their "rights" when defending every ridiculous demand of theirs. But as soon as guns are brought up, they could care less about your rights.

The truth is, you don't have any rights. If you believe they came from "god", you are delusional. We gave people their rights, and we can take them away anytime we want. You just have to convince enough (stupid)people that it is the right thing to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWiBt-pqp0E
Or, based on your thought in other threads that mixed people need to be gotten rid of, I suppose guns are part of the answer too.

Man, the po-lice and the feds should be keepin watch on these forums. Proflin posters like you might help solve a few cold cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies