Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

Even better than recycling...is not to cycle in the first place. Unless it is on your bike.

If you don't buy it, you don't need to recycle it OR throw it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sorry but what an empty existence if your life is only about yourself.
Feels just fine to me. I don't bother anyone, and no one bothers me. I like it like that.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Do you recycle? Why don't you, if you don't? Remember, it's not about being left or right. One of the most devastating things INDUSTRIALISM has created for our country and the rest of the world is the lack of good soil to produce food.
I live in an apartment complex. While the town with town pick-up requires recycling, the apartment complex has one dumpster, a private garbage collector and does not. The same was true when I lived in MD. I haven't recycled at home in 15 years.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM

45,433 posts, read 60,623,477 times
The problem with recycling is that, even after all these years, local governments many times don't have it right. The County where I live encourages recycling but one has to take the recycling, and other trash, to a regional compactor site. Private collection is available but those contractors typically don't do recyclables. My County also screwed up from the get go 20 years ago and pays the recycling company to haul it away rather than the other way around. The recyclables are also co-mingled which then becomes a sorting issue.
The biggest arguments for recycling are reduced costs and landfill longevity. The average household produces between 1.5 and 2.5 tons of household trash a year. Recyclables add another ton to that total, more if the recyclables have a lot of cardboard and newspapers included.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Do you bother to wipe yourself? I'll assume yes. So, if you take the care to do that even though you're going to die anyway...
Wow what a comeback, thanks for making me laugh today, my fix for the day!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I used to not recycle before my city adopted curbside pickup for recyclables. I only recycle because of this convenience, not because I feel any altruistic duty.

But I think the OP describes a problem that goes far deeper than whether or not one should recycle. One problem is the degradation of common courtesy. No matter what you feel about recycling, the community asks you to separate your garbage from your aluminum can. Why do people have to disrespect the wishes of a community, especially over trash? Save your fights for something of consequence, and stop being childish.

I agree with this. For those that do, stop disrespecting the good wishes of a community over a issuse such as trash

Old 02-16-2010, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
There are a ton of rural communities throughout the US that don't have it.

Recycling centers are an investment for the communities they serve and though they can be profitable, in smaller communities the risk of losing money increases.

Many private companies are finding ways to make it work and so those smaller communities will eventually be served. It's just creeping along... chug -a -chug -a -chug

Makes sense. I've never lived in a small town or rural area.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:48 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well I have curbside recycling so it really isn't a issue for me. What I found amazing is how the rest of my family has fallen in behind me to recycle.
When you start to analyze your garbage as recycling forces you to do, we are a very wastefull society!
I've found that when I really recycle everything that can be, my bin doesn't hold it all! I end up tossing recyclables the day before they come to empty my recycle bin.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I thought California required curb side recycling now (is that what La la land means? If not, sorry).

When we lived in California were required to separate our green waste, recycling, and garbage. We had 3 big cans. Here in Colorado we pay a few extra dollars/month for curb-side recycling, and always have more in that can than the garbage can.
No your absoutely right, in the I.E. that is what we have, green waste, recycling, and garbage. Does make it so very conveient. We just took our cans and bottles over the weekend, made a nice little $100.00 which came in handy. We have tons of bottles, and cans being in the Vending business. It does makes sense to do so. But if not conveient for you, i also understand.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:59 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is, after all, all about me. I don't worry about what you do, unless it affects me personally. Live and let live.

You've heard of the Love Canal? The condition of Lake Michigan? But it's okay, it doesn't affect me personally.

So they should let serial killers run loose as long as they are not near you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies