Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer5000 View Post
DICTIONARY
Main Entry: 1tor·ture
Pronunciation: \ˈtȯr-chər\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, from Old French, from Late Latin tortura, from Latin tortus, past participle of torquēre to twist; probably akin to Old High German drāhsil turner, Greek atraktos spindle
Date: 1540
1 a : anguish of body or mind : agony b : something that causes agony or pain

UN CONVENTION

Article 1

1. For the purposes of this Convention, torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

Sorry but its not just physical harm

This topic is not about abortion so stop bringing up your staple right wing argument, it is pointless in this conversation.
Hate to be the one to tell you, but "dictionary.com" isnt relevant evidence in the court of law.. the LEGAL definition of "torture" is whats relevant..

US CODE: Title 18,2340. Definitions

(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from— (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality;

If you are going to argue "legalities", then indeed you need to use the legal definition..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
And for the last god damn time stop ignoring the case law showing it does, the 2005 torture revision which says it does and international law which says it does.
and for the last time, in 2006 and 2008 the SCOTUS overruled what you keep posting. Do you want to next sight case law stating that blacks were property and pretend that case also holds relevance? You do understand that NEW cases trump OLD cases in the courts right?
Quote:
You ignore defenitions as laid out by law.
I POSTED the law for your reference (posting #171), YOU are the one who is ignoring the LEGAL definition, and keeps looking at a dictionary and pretending the dictionary is a law dictionary..
Quote:
You are perhaps the mos ignorant, egotistical, moron I have seen on this forum and that is pretty hard being that its run by right wing race supremacists.
You wont be around long I see..
Quote:
Oh I see so you in your wisdom are arguing that US LAW ALLOWS TORTURE.
The US allows waterboarding, not torture.. You are just having trouble understanding the difference. No, police are not allowed to waterboard because they are governed by civilian law, but indeed the military can. They have seperate rules and standards. We waterboard our own soldiers for christ sakes.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
I would also gather you would not consider being bound naked on top of others and threatened with highly trained dogs to be torture either?
Where is the torture?

Did the dogs bite them?

I've heard of hazing incidents worse than the above.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
you are obviously a racist who thinks that any muslim is a terrorist
those caught on a battlefield trying to kill coalition soldiers. . . . call it what you will.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
It isn't a case of showing concern for the terrorists-it is about showing a concern about the U.S. letting actions by fanatics bring us down to their level, and throwing away OUR HONOR as the country that the rest of the world used to look to with admiration, and longing for our human rights record which was waterboarded right down the toilet under the Bush/Cheney administration-

We always have and still do treat pow's better than any other nation ever on earth. We have not thrown our honor away by lowering ourselves to the towel heads level. Amazing, only the it's always the US's fault crowd says we have lowered ourselves. They are right, because we continue to allow them to bad mouth us and by doing so are encouraging , giving aid and comfort to our Nation's enemies. Waterboarding? That's a piece of cake. We train our Troops in far worst mental conditions such as the gasing, the live fire over their heads, etc. But That is also WHY we have the best trained Troops. They know what to do in every combat and non combat situation.

As for our reputation being waterboarded down the toliet, I guess a weak kneed idiot bowing down to other world leaders shows anything good? Yes I am talking about obama. Now that is flushing our rep down the toilet !!! See the half dozen leaders of other countries turn around and laugh at the idiot? They've even said (while laughing) in later interviews in their respective countries that they can not believe the US has lowered it's self to our current president.

Remember too clinton's actions and the ones who voted for him a second time didn't help our rep one bit!
If someone is an enemy to my Nation, I don't care what happens to them. Remember, these are the ones who supported the beheadings of our people. Waterboarding seems too dam nice to them in my opinion.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:24 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Originally Posted by specialrequest
"you are obviously a racist who thinks that any muslim is a terrorist"

As long as they keep giving to same groups who funnel money to our enemies, then yes, they ARE MY COUNTRIES ENEMY AND A TERRORIST against it. Racist? Not at all. Just an American that says you attack my Country, people of my Country, my Countries Troops, die. And anything short of that is being too nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies