Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times

Advertisements

George Will, who many Rs consider their one true "intellectual" (he wears a bow tie you know) toss SP under the bus today in his syndicated column. I'm sure we'll soon hear the "he's a RINO" and "he's not a true believer" whines from the hard right wing.

But it'll be difficult for the Rs to distance themselves from Will. He's got all the street cred they love so much; Cheerleader to tax cuts for the wealthy (why not, he's wealthy), cheerleader to the war in Iraq (he knew he wasn't going), global warming denier (of course he has to INTENTIONALLY MISQUOTE from NASA to make his points (but misquoting is what Fox News does best so he's in good company there).

Ah, another bloodletting coming from the right this week. And to top it off we've got CPAC this weekend. And who are CPAC's *Stars*? Why none other than THE JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY and Glenn Beck. Boy, you righties sure know how to pick your sponsors, stars and headliners. Birthers, truthers, leftover conspiracy nuts from the '50s (JBS estimates of Communists in the US government made "tailgunner Joe" (McCarthy's) estimates look puny), religious nuts, and a "populist" (easy to be a "populist" when you're raking in millions advocating anti-populism) DRUGGIE.

I guess this is what Rs mean when they say they want a "big tent".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
And the right wonders why so many people consider them obsolete these days. The Dems definitely have their flaws, but the GOP is literally imploding.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
George Will, who many Rs consider their one true "intellectual" (he wears a bow tie you know) toss SP under the bus today in his syndicated column. I'm sure we'll soon hear the "he's a RINO" and "he's not a true believer" whines from the hard right wing.

But it'll be difficult for the Rs to distance themselves from Will. He's got all the street cred they love so much; Cheerleader to tax cuts for the wealthy (why not, he's wealthy), cheerleader to the war in Iraq (he knew he wasn't going), global warming denier (of course he has to INTENTIONALLY MISQUOTE from NASA to make his points (but misquoting is what Fox News does best so he's in good company there).

Ah, another bloodletting coming from the right this week. And to top it off we've got CPAC this weekend. And who are CPAC's *Stars*? Why none other than THE JOHN BIRCH SOCIETY and Glenn Beck. Boy, you righties sure know how to pick your sponsors, stars and headliners. Birthers, truthers, leftover conspiracy nuts from the '50s (JBS estimates of Communists in the US government made "tailgunner Joe" (McCarthy's) estimates look puny), religious nuts, and a "populist" (easy to be a "populist" when you're raking in millions advocating anti-populism) DRUGGIE.

Why arent you out on the links right now?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:

I predict that the Palinistas will ignore this, just as the Rs ignore the fact that they are supported by the JBS. They don't seem to have any interest in looking behind the curtain or under the rug.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,000 times
What's to ignore?

George Will says Palin is not Presidential material.

Paul Krugman says Obama is "clueless".

Both commentators expressing their opinions. Which one should concern me more at this time??

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Sigh. What is it with the reading comprehension skills of liberals? Of course George Will says no such thing. In a neat column -- I only had to pull the dictionary once! - vituperation? -- he believes Palin won't be the Rep nominee and can not win as "populism has not won a national election in 178 years."

"She is feisty and public-spirited, and millions of people vibrate like tuning forks to her rhetoric. When she was suddenly forced to take a walk on the highest wire in America's political circus, she showed grit. . . . She has been subjected to such irrational vituperation -- loathing largely born of snobbery. . . ."

But the best line: "America, its luck exhausted, at last has a president from the academic culture, that grating blend of knowingness and unrealism." An opinion the OP leaves out.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times
Quote:

Um... I see no quote with him tossing her under the bus.

What I do see is a very very partisan hack utilizing some "cirucmstance" you heard about as an effort to create a flame post slandering conservatives using cheap stereotypes and semantics.

Better luck next time.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
George Will never caught the Palin bug. He said she was unqualified back when McCain chose her in 2008.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
And the right wonders why so many people consider them obsolete these days. The Dems definitely have their flaws, but the GOP is literally imploding.
Talk to me in November!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:21 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
cleanhouse (worrying about my health I guess) wrote;
Quote:
Why arent you out on the links right now?
Snow on the course, makes it a bit difficult to play.

LNTT, choosing to focus on ONE SENTENCE wrote;
Quote:
She has been subjected to such irrational vituperation -- loathing largely born of snobbery. . . ."
It seems that like Will you feel that the "rebukes, criticism and berating" or Palin was undeserved, therefor it was "born or snobbery". Hardly, most people that I know turned strongly against her for her lies, her shadings of truth, her firm belief in fables like "creationism" and other silliness she engaged in.

I guess in your book only conservatives can voice a "rational" criticism against her. Anyone else is engaging "loathing born or snobbery".

Sorry to hear that you had to get out a dictionary to look up "vituperation". Maybe Will should have as well since he chose to use the connotation that it's always negative. It's not.

jcarliseu wrote;
Quote:
What I do see is a very very partisan hack
Why are you critiizing George Will in this way?

Quote:
utilizing some "cirucmstance" you heard about
"Heard about"? FTW are you talking about? Are you saying Will didn't write his column?

Quote:
as an effort to create a flame post slandering conservatives using cheap stereotypes and semantics.
Absolutely the funniest post I've read from a rightie in a long time. Have you never read any of the carp posted on here by the "usual suspects" on the right? That's where you get your real "cheap stereotypes". BTW, can you point to a stereotype that I used? Do you know the meaning of the word "semantics".

The rigties on here, the "volunteers" not just the paid posters seem to have come completely unhinged from reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies