Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Traditional conservatism caught a cold of sorts, a parasitic virus known as Neoconservatism and has been deathly sick ever since. In its high fever, it managed to kill off most of its intellectuals and thoughtful advocates resulting in a mucus of expelled gooey snot in the form of Kristol, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Perle, Wolfowitz, and later as the coughing escalated, its is spewing forth a yellow green mucus known as Limbaugh, Hannity, and Palin, et al.

I struggle daily with the idea that people who claim to be bound to 'tradition' are the very people who have wholly dismissed their own roots and history and in doing so, perpetuated the sickness in this country.

Like a doctor, there are those people, both from Republican and Democrat circles who pine for a more intellectual and reasoned form of traditional conservatism and are working to purge this parasitic infection from the body America. Will you not help the doc?
Wow, I think I just shed a tear.... That was beautiful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:14 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
One of the tenants of the conservative movement seems to be lowering government spending through the limitation of social welfare programs. Understanding that there is often waste and abuse in these programs but also acknowledging that these programs (which run the gamut from Headstart to AFDC to food stamps) have children as a major or even primary beneficiary, is it selfish to want to eliminate these programs as is often espoused on here?

An offshoot to the frequently written argument on CD that people need to "take care of themselves" seems to be "I don't want my money to take care of anyone else." Isn't this selfish? Would this be a better country if we had a more community oriented approach and all took care of eachother?
Liberalism:
Give a man a fish you feed him for a day.

Conservatism
Teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Liberalism:

Conservatism
Conservatives are anti environmentalists, so, there would be no fish, they'd be extinct.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Conservatives are anti environmentalists, so, there would be no fish, they'd be extinct.
Those would be neo-conservatives..too far to the right there hombre57.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Liberalism:
See, that's not fair... The true intent is more: When a man is sick, give him some fish to keep him alive. When he is healthy again, he can go catch his own fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd
Conservatism
And on this side, a liberal would view it more like this: Sure, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. If he breaks both wrists and is unable to fish for awhile? Oh well, f*** him.... Guess he starves?

Again, you're using the philosophy of the extreme left to label the entirety of the left... I have shown you here what doing the same with the conservative perspective would look like.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Traditional conservatism caught a cold of sorts, a parasitic virus known as Neoconservatism and has been deathly sick ever since. In its high fever, it managed to kill off most of its intellectuals and thoughtful advocates resulting in a mucus of expelled gooey snot in the form of Kristol, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Perle, Wolfowitz, and later as the coughing escalated, its is spewing forth a yellow green mucus known as Limbaugh, Hannity, and Palin, et al.

I struggle daily with the idea that people who claim to be bound to 'tradition' are the very people who have wholly dismissed their own roots and history and in doing so, perpetuated the sickness in this country.

Like a doctor, there are those people, both from Republican and Democrat circles who pine for a more intellectual and reasoned form of traditional conservatism and are working to purge this parasitic infection from the body America. Will you not help the doc?
Not for $400 a visit I wont.

I know what you mean: those folks you're talking about -- my father's one -- voted for Obama in 2008 because they were sickened by what's taken over the R Party.

I dont know the answer. There's no liberal intellectual faction in politics anymore, either.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
LOL!!!! Funny...

No, there'd be fish, it's just anyone who actually ate one would die from mercury poisoning...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those would be neo-conservatives..too far to the right there hombre57.
I'll continue to ignore you unless you tell me you're a conservative democrat, then I'll listen to you, till then, republicans are the conservatives, democrats are the liberals, get it now?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:26 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
Quote:

I prescribe political euthanasia for the neo-cons!

Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
See, that's not fair... The true intent is more: When a man is sick, give him some fish to keep him alive. When he is healthy again, he can go catch his own fish.

And on this side, a liberal would view it more like this: Sure, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. If he breaks both wrists and is unable to fish for awhile? Oh well, f*** him.... Guess he starves?

Again, you're using the philosophy of the extreme left to label the entirety of the left... I have shown you here what doing the same with the conservative perspective would look like.
That's exactly what they want. Just most of them dont have the nerve to come out and say so (though some do, see post about "let the Haitians die, sounds cruel but" above).

Why do they want that? A mix of a nutty belief that if these people didnt exist they'd magically get all their tax money back, and a skeevy kind of class anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies