Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You mean, legislation, to improve people's access to their damn rights?!
The poster said government money, nothing about legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,048,783 times
Default for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh....

The thing that's hardest for me to understand is that most "conservatives" claim to be christians but it's obvious that their real God is their money and the Golden Rule is optional....

I could go on but I won't.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The poster said government money, nothing about legislation.
"We liberals do not necessarily like to have to use Government money" -- that's true. We wish people would take it upon themselves to be kind and good to each other on macro- and micro-scales and improve this country and make it the best it can be all on their own.

But they dont. Why not? Because they're SELFISH.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I take it you can't find anything other then your own personal experience.
Bill Gates' political affiliation is not public. He has given many donations to both parties but seems to lean Democrat.

http://sonic.net/~buscador/Libprinc.htm

I can see where you're coming from, far right.

I take it that you like to have other people do your homework for you.

And yet, another liberal business person

http://haskellfamily.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Hombre57; 02-19-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Isn't this selfish? Would this be a better country if we had a more community oriented approach and all took care of eachother?
I find it ironic when liberals accuse conservatives of being selfish. You have nothing to base your accusation on when you say something as silly as this. Over the years, the conservatives I've met, both friends and acquaintances, have been some of the most honest, fair, and downright compassionate people out there. Yeah there are a few exceptions, and I have met a few of the 'tycoon' type conservatives who can be a bit self-centered, but the vast majority have been very friendly and well mannered.

Liberals have a facade of generosity and caring about others. You'll find that if you dig deeper, the majority of liberals are very self-centered and pretentious. In fact the very fundamentals of being a liberal, being all accepting, and accommodating, is in itself selfish. It says to me, do whatever you want, I don't care, just don't interrupt my way of life. The evidence is all around us:

1. The liberals who promote abortion (says to me, I want to **** around and make mistakes and I don't want you to get in my way if I don't want to accept responsibility)

2. Special interest groups (says to me that whether or not the majority of the population feels a certain way about an issue, YOUR small group feels superior and should have the ultimate say in the matter)

3. Welfare and social programs (from the giver's point of view, says to me "I don't want to see these filthy people on the sidewalks ruining my view, therefore I'll pay them to not be poor"; from the takers point of view, says to me "I deserve to be taken care of and the successful people should have to pay for me")

4. Social behavior/cultural behavior - the "anything goes" attitude (what I see is, I want things MY way and not to live by traditions or societal norms. Me Me Me.

The fact is liberals think of themselves as genuinely giving, caring and compassionate people, but reality says this is just an image. Dig deeper and you'll find they have conditions and limits on their generosity. It's all an act, really, to make themselves feel good about themselves and give an impression that they did their part to society, again, making themselves feel good.

I know liberals will disagree with that, but time and time again I see this kind of thing with liberals. Visit liberal cities (seattle for instance) and try striking up a conversation with a random person. Try making friends with them. You'll find it will be damn near impossible as they'll think you're some kind of weirdo.

Liberalism = fake.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I find it ironic when liberals accuse conservatives of being selfish. You have nothing to base your accusation on when you say something as silly as this. Over the years, the conservatives I've met, both friends and acquaintances, have been some of the most honest, fair, and downright compassionate people out there. Yeah there are a few exceptions, and I have met a few of the 'tycoon' type conservatives who can be a bit self-centered, but the vast majority have been very friendly and well mannered.

Liberals have a facade of generosity and caring about others. You'll find that if you dig deeper, the majority of liberals are very self-centered and pretentious. In fact the very fundamentals of being a liberal, being all accepting, and accommodating, is in itself selfish. It says to me, do whatever you want, I don't care, just don't interrupt my way of life. The evidence is all around us:

1. The liberals who promote abortion (says to me, I want to **** around and make mistakes and I don't want you to get in my way if I don't want to accept responsibility)

2. Special interest groups (says to me that whether or not the majority of the population feels a certain way about an issue, YOUR small group feels superior and should have the ultimate say in the matter)

3. Welfare and social programs (from the giver's point of view, says to me "I don't want to see these filthy people on the sidewalks ruining my view, therefore I'll pay them to not be poor"; from the takers point of view, says to me "I deserve to be taken care of and the successful people should have to pay for me")

4. Social behavior/cultural behavior - the "anything goes" attitude (what I see is, I want things MY way and not to live by traditions or societal norms. Me Me Me.

The fact is liberals think of themselves as genuinely giving, caring and compassionate people, but reality says this is just an image. Dig deeper and you'll find they have conditions and limits on their generosity. It's all an act, really, to make themselves feel good about themselves and give an impression that they did their part to society, again, making themselves feel good.

I know liberals will disagree with that, but time and time again I see this kind of thing with liberals. Visit liberal cities (seattle for instance) and try striking up a conversation with a random person. Try making friends with them. You'll find it will be damn near impossible as they'll think you're some kind of weirdo.

Liberalism = fake.
There's a lot of crap in your post but I'm just going to address the part in bold.

Hardly ANYONE is pro-abortion. Most liberals would rather focus on sex education and funding contraception, ya know...things that REDUCE abortion.

You have many in the anti-choice community that are opposed to contraception. On what planet does that make sense? If you're against abortion, shouldn't you be FOR contraception...something that can help reduce abortion.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,019,242 times
Who Really Cares • Arthur C. Brooks (http://www.arthurbrooks.net/whoreallycares/statistics.html - broken link)

Interesting study. Finds that conservatives households give about 30% more to charity than liberal households. Also, conservatives give more blood, literally.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"We liberals do not necessarily like to have to use Government money" -- that's true. We wish people would take it upon themselves to be kind and good to each other on macro- and micro-scales and improve this country and make it the best it can be all on their own.

But they dont. Why not? Because they're SELFISH.
Not so. I always contributed to the Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries, The Wisconsin and Illinois State Trooper's Associations, numerous churches, the Boys and Girls Clubs, Wisconsin Firefighters, The DAV, Unicef, and directly helped people with food and clothing.
So, all of us liberals are not tightwads.
I still deliver foods to needy people at the Rio Grande on Christmas day, they are mostly Veterans.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

You have many in the anti-choice community that are opposed to contraception. On what planet does that make sense? If you're against abortion, shouldn't you be FOR contraception...something that can help reduce abortion.
Well the religious conservatives are against contraceptives because they believe that having sex while cheating (using contraceptive) is only done for self-gratification... vis a vis, you guessed it, selfishness! "I want to feel good and not suffer the consequences."

Keeping bringing up more arguments Purple. You're proving my point of liberals being self-centered and selfish!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Well the religious conservatives are against contraceptives because they believe that having sex while cheating (using contraceptive) is only done for self-gratification... vis a vis, you guessed it, selfishness! I want to feel good and not suffer the consequences.

Keeping bringing up more arguments Purple. You're proving my point of liberals being self-centered and selfish!

What about those who use contraception to prevent pregnancy?
There are many committed couples out there who don't want children or use contraception to limit the # of children.

For you to sit there and act like condoms are just used by people who cheat is just idiotic, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies