Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,099,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Is it paranoia when it's true?
Given the current state of affairs, I see a lot more reason to be paranoiad of Wall Street, instead of Pennsylvania Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,099,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
Wasn't health care a lot cheaper a few decades ago? Why can't we just do what we were doing back then? Weren't there far less regulations and government involvement then?
There also weren't as many expensive procedures. Medical school wasn't as expensive, and there wasn't nearly the technology, or the technicians needed to operate it. Malpractice insurance wasn't also as expensive.

Regulation has little or nothing to do with it.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The NI tax in the UK runs 11% for employees and ~12.8% for employers. The current payroll tax in the US is 7.65% for employers. There is an immediate increase to employers of about 5%. The NI covers NHS, so US employers would not have to provide health insurance. The average employer who provides insurance to their employees pays 7% of salaries towards premiums. This means that for US companies who currently provide insurance, UHC would be slightly cheaper.

Since the UK program is mandatory, more than half the businesses would see a 5% increase in payroll taxes. The companies that are shedding jobs now are service sector jobs, many of which do not offer insurance anyway.

Tell me again how this will stimulate hiring?

One more thing - in the US a family of 4 claiming the standard deductions earning $50K a year has an effective federal income tax rate of 0% after the refundable child tax credits. The same family in the UK would have an additional 15% effective tax burden, as they are in the 20% tax band, and the "tax free allowance" is smaller. The UK worker is subject to higher payroll taxes AND higher federal income tax. Oh, have you priced a liter of petrol in the UK of late?

Quote:
All the FREE stuff Geero brags about is hardly free. My numbers are right off the UK payroll tax website. Geero can validate them. I asked him to provide the data and he refused because he knows the taxes are much higher in the UK than they are here.
I've stated my position many times: if America wants it, they are going to have to pay for it. Are you going to be the one explaining to the family making $50K a year they now have to cough up another $1000 a month in taxes? That is about what it works out to. FACT!

Oh, the NHS is upside down. They are getting ready to raise rates again.

Peace.
Yes, I asked him also and haven't heard any response, I wonder why? My ex had relatives that live in Canada, and I can remember her uncle telling me Cigarette's were $12 a pack and there were other examples of hi taxes, just can't remember. That was about 20 yrs ago and I remember wondering how they survived with such high taxes.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Single-payer is not socialized medicine which is what the UK has.
When you want to compare apples with apples, you get back to me.

HR 676 – Healthcare-NOW!

Polls have shown Americans are fine with paying more for universal health care. No one thinks this is a "free ride."

Poll: Majority Would Pay Higher Taxes For Universal Health Care - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
I would like to see a national referendum on this in the future,maybe the 2012 election, in the mean time the gov could cover the uninsured until then. Coverage would end at that time.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Perhaps your nation has a Government that has earned enough trust of its citizens to allow for UHC or at least a Government option.

When our Government earns our trust I think you will see more support for it here.

I guess you trust avaricious Corporate America more..........great job they've done, with the transparent support of their Republican enablers.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I guess you trust avaricious Corporate America more..........great job they've done, with the transparent support of their Republican enablers.

i don't trust corporate america, but i trust the govt even less, look at the great job they've done. healthcare needs to go back to a relationship between medical practitioners and their patients without corporate and govt middlemen mooching off the system

Old 03-01-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfacedjenkins View Post
Wasn't health care a lot cheaper a few decades ago? Why can't we just do what we were doing back then? Weren't there far less regulations and government involvement then?
Here's the real deal, Health insurance(when I started working) only covered catastrophic illness or injury, you paid out of pocket for Dr visits and scripts. When Ins co's started paying for Dr visits and scripts, Dr's and pharmicutical co's started raising prices because they saw they could rape the ins co's. Prior to this they had to keep prices affordable for the working man. This is just one example of why medical exepenses are rising, as you can see it's been a snowball effect and ins co's keep passing the costs along to the working man.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 AM

What ever we end up with, the funds need to be put in a locked box, so the greedy politicians don't get their hands on the money like they did with social security.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Healthcare is amazing in America as long as you have enough money to pay high insurance premiums or you havs a gold plated diamond encrusted healthcare plan such as the decision makers in Washington or the Media anti health reform pundits such as Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh, Rove etc. These people who have Normal Americans health in their hands really do NOT care whether Mr and Mrs America curl up in pain and fade away or become bankrupt because of America's one sided health system. The top earners, decision makers, wealthy or the ones with good on the job health cover are pretty pleased with the status quo and will fight tooth and nail to keep it.
Republicans now see the health debate as the foot in the door back to power.Everyday Americans are just collateral damage to them in their quest for the Whitehouse.
UHC has become a word of fear in America because of fear and brainwashing by the powerful who would rather see good honest Americans go bankrupt or even die than give up their "Elite" health cover.
I am in the UK at the moment recovering from Emergency Surgery from a badly gangrous gall bladder.
I doubled up in pain last Thursday and was rushed into Hospital by Ambulance. Straight into the Emergency room. Medical team straight in to see me. Pain killers and tests were immediately done. I was taken to a ward kept under Obs and more tests. By then it was Friday morning and i was taken to the Theatre and the Consultant Operated on me. Keyhole surgery and complete success.
Monday am... feeling great.... given pain killers, anti biotics etc to take with me and going home.
Tuesday up and about .... going to my GP tomorrow to get wounds checked etc etc.
No out of pocket expenses and Nothing to pay for the drugs etc etc.
I paid my NHS insurance every month i worked in the UK and that was that. No Bankruptcy, No sleepless nights, No hidden suprises. If i had been unemployed or on benefits or just a UK citizen or legal resident i would have got exactly the same treatment etc.
This must be the DEMON UHC!
STOP letting the people with self interest fool good honest American's that a UHC or Govt run health plan is bad for you...... it is the best investment America could ever make and would create millions upon millions of NEW jobs.
Get real America and give America back to good honest American's and not the plaything of the decision makers and overpayed media who now dictate to America and the next time you pick up a glass and wish "good health" you mean it for ALL Americans and not just the ones at the top.
For the first time in America, create a real AMERICAN health service for All Americans.

How long do you have to wait for the following:

total hip
total knee
cardiac bypass
cardiac valve
kidney transplant
bone marrow transplant
lumbar laminectomy
pacemaker

UHC is great for primary care and nuts and bolts issues. If you need something more expensive- good luck

Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
And the gov't done a lot better??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies