Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,764,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'm wondering if, for people who support organized school prayer, if they would still support it if the daily prayers were done in Hebrew and were from the Jewish faith? Or do they only support school prayer if the prayers are Christian based?

Of course, I am all for my kid learning another language. Do you think Christian prayers would be said in Latin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,144,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course, I am all for my kid learning another language. Do you think Christian prayers would be said in Latin?
Umm, In Judaism prayers are said in Hebrew today. I know few if any churches use Latin in their service...

Completely missed the point.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
Wow. Try reading the thread. A couple of people came out advocating organized Christian prayer, despite your claim that NOBODY does. Another person posted several contemporary court cases regarding prayer in school. Someone else talked about their principal in 2001 opening school meetings with a Christian prayer.... I even talked about my own experience with Christian prayer before high school football games in Texas.

I'm sorry someone doesn't write a scholarly article every time there is organized Christian school prayer, but there are a number of people on here who've provided anecdotal evidence to support my hypothetical that I started the discussion with.

Enough already.
Good thing you don't live in Texas anymore I guess.
Prayer at HS football games is a long standing tradition in Texas and it is NOT government sponsored. Even the Texas Legislature says a prayer before the day's work.

Texas law requires that it not discriminate by having a sectarian prayer. So as long as it's non denominational and non-proselytizing it should not offend.

Don't atheists pray to "something" or "someone" higher ? Or even "themselves" ?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Prayer at HS football games is a long standing tradition in Texas and it is NOT government sponsored. Even the Texas Legislature says a prayer before the day's work.

Texas law requires that it not discriminate by having a sectarian prayer. So as long as it's non denominational and non-proselytizing it should not offend.

I'm not an atheist, so I have no idea. I would assume they don't pray at all, which is their right.

Tradition or not prayer before PUBLIC school football games is inappropriate and illegal. I know it's Texas and they only follow the law as it suits them and threaten to secede when it doesn't (Why do they hate America?)... But it's a public high school and kids of non-Christian persuasion and atheists are constitutionally guaranteed not to have to be subjected to religious prayer, customs, etc. that they select not to be involved in. Just like a Jewish Hebrew prayer would be inappropriate in any public school setting. There really isn't an option to play football, attend games, etc., without being subjected to the prayer.

The Supreme Court has interpreted the issue this way. I'm sure you love the constitution. Why don't you follow it?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Umm, In Judaism prayers are said in Hebrew today. I know few if any churches use Latin in their service...

Completely missed the point.

I am not surprised you missed the point. Who cares what language is used or what religions prayers are said. You are working off an outdated stereotype. People who favor prayer in school, by and large, care more about spirituality than evangelism.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Quote:
I'm not an atheist, so I have no idea. I would assume they don't pray at all, which is their right.

Tradition or not prayer before PUBLIC school football games is inappropriate and illegal. I know it's Texas and they only follow the law as it suits them and threaten to secede when it doesn't (Why do they hate America?)... But it's a public high school and kids of non-Christian persuasion and atheists are constitutionally guaranteed not to have to be subjected to religious prayer, customs, etc. that they select not to be involved in. Just like a Jewish Hebrew prayer would be inappropriate in any public school setting. There really isn't an option to play football, attend games, etc., without being subjected to the prayer.

The Supreme Court has interpreted the issue this way. I'm sure you love the constitution. Why don't you follow it?
No one is trying to convert anyone with these prayers. Why not just live and let live ? If the majority are in favor of a prayer before an event or activity and they keep it non-denominational so that all religions can partake, then why such a fuss. Don't you believe in majority rule ?

I will say that in the big cities like Austin, Dallas, etc. it may have turned into a moment of silence. But in the more conservative rural areas it's considered more of a prayer.

Why even at the rodeos there's a prayer said to protect both the riders and the animals from any harm.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not surprised you missed the point. Who cares what language is used or what religions prayers are said. You are working off an outdated stereotype. People who favor prayer in school, by and large, care more about spirituality than evangelism.
I don't think that's true at all-- HappyTexans post might be evidence that evanglisim is the goal. People who care about spiritually pray in private. People who care about evangelism pray on a microphone at football games.

I don't care what language is used. It's inappropriate and illegal in any language.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,643,400 times
Quote:

I'm an Atheist and we don't 'pray' to anything. Sometimes I wish things would happen, but I don't direct it to anything or anyone in particular. Of course, if I were 'wishing' my thoughts to an imaginary something that might be considered praying....

If you like prayer in your schools, great. I don't want them in mine. You live in Texas, I live in California so we're all happy

Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think that's true at all-- HappyTexans post might be evidence that evanglisim is the goal. People who care about spiritually pray in private. People who care about evangelism pray on a microphone at football games.

I don't care what language is used. It's inappropriate and illegal in any language.
Of course a random post on an insignificant forum is clear evidence. LOL

Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
No one is trying to convert anyone with these prayers. Why not just live and let live ? If the majority are in favor of a prayer before an event or activity and they keep it non-denominational so that all religions can partake, then why such a fuss. Don't you believe in majority rule ?

I will say that in the big cities like Austin, Dallas, etc. it may have turned into a moment of silence. But in the more conservative rural areas it's considered more of a prayer.

Why even at the rodeos there's a prayer said to protect both the riders and the animals from any harm.

1) The majority doesn't get to decide the rights of the minority. If they did we might not have civil rights legislation to this day. Religion and government (public school) is constitutionally separate... Live and let live violates my rights as a Jew, the rights of Atheists and the numerous others who would prefer to not be subjected to Christian prayer. It is also how the supreme court sees it.

2) I think you're right about larger cities, although I only had to go to a game five miles from the Austin border to see this in action.

3) Rodeos aren't government agencies. They're privately owned. i don't care if they dress as Jesus and do a pageant while forcing everyone to read in unison from a King James Bible. It's not the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies