Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You dont seem to be upset at all with the hypocrites. That would be those who created the law, but now want to ignore it..

Those who are upholding the law, even though they dont agree with it are no where close to being hypocrites.
Stop making up arguments. I'm not an idiot. If law is not being held, then there are better ways to address it than be a drama queen. You may convey that message to Mr Bunning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
Good history lesson, but lets consider current affairs...do you feel the Dems in office now are trying to balance the budget? Is that what you are saying?
No they are trying to deal with the mess made by having the biggest debt bubble in the history of this ****ry and posibly the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It's not a matter of persuading the public to accept large spending cuts. The fact is that we cannot continue these huge entitlements and remain solvent. We have an over $90 trillion budgetary imbalance with regards to SS and Medicare. What's your suggestion to fix that?
That statement of yours proves his point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend.
We have too much debt to tax and spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Surely there are enough corporations LEFT on this country that we could bleed them of more dollars for our societies entitlement expectations.
The debt load is what they are running from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I would like to know how you guys can tell the difference between a republican and a democrat by their actions? It's sad how so many here have managed to create a mental construct where their *side* is the answer and the other *side* the problem.

Good vs. Evil, cut and dry. Well, sorry....there is little difference between the two and they both spend like drunken sailors on shore leave.
We currently have a one party system that is pretending to be a two party system.

Quote:
You think that Bush was elected as a 'fiscal conservative'? ...twice?
No he stole the first election fair and square.
Quote:
So...apparently, because of Bush, there is no need for 'fiscal conservancy' within our government now?....am I understanding you correctly?
There is a need for fiscal responsibility. And I have not seen that in the government in my entire life from anyone.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 AM

418 posts, read 487,849 times
Obama = Bush on steroids

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Stop making up arguments. I'm not an idiot. If law is not being held, then there are better ways to address it than be a drama queen. You may convey that message to Mr Bunning.
There is NO other way to address other than refusing to VIOLATE the law... If we can simply ignore the laws put into place, whats the point in having them? No one is calling you an idiot, nor am I making up arguments. Did I hit a personal note with you by pointing out where the true hypocrites were?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM

305 posts, read 360,394 times
Quote:
Does that mean, if Obama loses in 2012, we can blame whoever takes office for the mess that had been in the making since the 1980s (if not the 1970s)?
Well, if YOU wish, you can blame LBJ...but I wont. If Obama loses in 2012, and the next guy raises the debt, he is to blame for that extra debt - period.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:50 AM

305 posts, read 360,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming View Post

We have too much debt to tax and spend.

We currently have a one party system that is pretending to be a two party system.

There is a need for fiscal responsibility. And I have not seen that in the government in my entire life from anyone.
No disagreement in these statements above. Do you think it impossible for our government to pay down the debt?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Tax the uberwealthy. If you are getting rich by inheriting wealth, you can pay a lot more into the system. Trickle down doesn't trickle. It tinkles down.

The richest people got insanely rich in the last decade thanks to slashing their taxes. Why should the top .1% (1 in a thousand) have made 1/3 rd of all the wealth in this nation during the last 30 years? And THEY need a tax break?
Umm, okay but that still won't pay the bill even if we tax the uber-wealthy at 99%. There simply isn't enough cash regardless. And for what it's worth, I never said they do need a tax break. I would be more than happy to see FICA taxed on the entire income, not just the first $106,000 of earnings.

Quote:
Got a list of those and numbers that go with it?
Indeed. Cato Scholar Comments on Moody's U.S. Bond Rating Warning | Cato Institute: Scholars' Comments
Quote:
Consider that the Social Security and Medicare Administrations have estimated those programs' total financial imbalances at a staggering $90 trillion. Interest on that implicit debt at the government's interest rate of 3 percent implies currently accruing costs of $2.7 trillion per year—more than 10 times larger than today's federal budget deficits.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Well, if YOU wish, you can blame LBJ...but I wont. If Obama loses in 2012, and the next guy raises the debt, he is to blame for that extra debt - period.
Whining is easy, finding solutions isn't. But then, why find solutions when there is that faith in the visible hand that will pull everything out of misery, or put everything out of misery for good.

Accountability, sire, accountability. It is a good thing. Don't just pass the blame, hold people accountable.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is NO other way to address other than refusing to VIOLATE the law... If we can simply ignore the laws put into place, whats the point in having them? No one is calling you an idiot, nor am I making up arguments. Did I hit a personal note with you by pointing out where the true hypocrites were?
Did I ask to ignore the law? Nope. Quite the opposite actually. I want to ensure the law is enforced. But being an arm chair tiger is not the way to go about it. Bunning should know.

Nothing new there. When you said entitlements, I assumed you had a longer list than just medicare and social security. I guess you don't.

So, when can we see "conservatives", you'd be voting for, running their election campaign on the premise of getting rid of medicare and social security?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,261 times
Quote:
Did he vote for PayGo? Or, is he just being who he really is... a drama queen?
I really can't inside Bunning's mind,..but I can see where the PAYGO hypocrisy on the left starts. Was it such a terrible question to ask how a $10 billion "temporary patch" would be funded without adding to the deficit? PAYGO works for both parties,...all the time,...not just when it's convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies