Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I was referring to these words from you and I am sure that "the same" doesn't make a lot of sense used like that.

Gays are going to get married and have THE SAME KIND OF SEX that hetero's do. The end.
LOL. I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Let me say that gays weren't as forward in her days as they are today. They were still in the closet back then.
That quote was from 1990. I don't think Rosa Parks ever spoke specifically about gay rights, but everything I've read about or from her seems to indicated she wouldn't be hostile towards gay rights.

And not everyone was closeted back then. She worked with Bayard Rustin surrounding the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Rustin was one of the key behind the scenes guy in the civil rights movement, co-founded of the SCLC (Southern Christian Leadership Conference), and was one of MLK's closest advisers. He was openly gay as early as the 1940s.

Interesting historical note: A 1963 smear campaign Strom Thurmond insinuated that he and MLK were gay lovers using FBI surveillance photos.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 PM

768 posts, read 942,943 times
Ironically, if there was one group of people that has failed resoundingly to adapt to modern Western democracy, it is black people in sum. That's a crappy thing to utter in public, but alas it's resoundingly obvious. The fact that anyone apart of the biggest racial failure in the history of the human species has the balls to judge homosexuals, whom despite incredible past bigotry have succeeded very well in our economy, is hilariously un-self-conscious.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Ironically, if there was one group of people that has failed resoundingly to adapt to modern Western democracy, it is black people in sum. That's a crappy thing to utter in public, but alas it's resoundingly obvious. The fact that anyone apart of the biggest racial failure in the history of the human species has the balls to judge homosexuals, whom despite incredible past bigotry have succeeded very well in our economy, is hilariously un-self-conscious.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
oh no he didant amirite?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
I had to read this again:
ironically, if there was one group of people that has failed resoundingly to adapt to modern Western democracy, it is black people in sum.
it's resoundingly obvious.
Quote:
the biggest racial failure in the history of the human species
Quote:
homosexuals, whom despite incredible past bigotry have succeeded very well in our economy
Stunning!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I had to read this again:
ironically, if there was one group of people that has failed resoundingly to adapt to modern Western democracy, it is black people in sum.
it's resoundingly obvious.

Stunning!
You're confused. You think you've spotted irony, citing a not-so-congratulatory remark regarding black people and mistaken it for bigotry. This is common, and you're not to be demonized for making the error. It's hard not to have this distinction intellectually intertwined in today's society. Know, of course, that the difference is night and day. There is no bigotry in pointing out that the sky is blue, or that water is wet. The failure of black people to adapt and succeed in all western society's needs to be accepted as self-evident, with solutions put forward. Instead, we collectively choose to ignore it, or justify with half-baked sociological justifications.

Indeed, the latter status quo is the real bigotry. I'm guilty of having the balls to say what needs to be said to get a dialogue started, nothing more. I'm basically a civil rights activist in this way.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:01 AM

172 posts, read 298,344 times
Quote:
You're confused. You think you've spotted irony, citing a not-so-congratulatory remark regarding black people and mistaken it for bigotry. This is common, and you're not to be demonized for making the error. It's hard not to have this distinction intellectually intertwined in today's society. Know, of course, that the difference is night and day. There is no bigotry in pointing out that the sky is blue, or that water is wet. The failure of black people to adapt and succeed in all western society's needs to be accepted as self-evident, with solutions put forward. Instead, we collectively choose to ignore it, or justify with half-baked sociological justifications.

Indeed, the latter status quo is the real bigotry. I'm guilty of having the balls to say what needs to be said to get a dialogue started, nothing more. I'm basically a civil rights activist in this way.
Sticking with the sky analogy:
It is bigoted to obstinately say the sky is blue while ignoring that outside our atmosphere the sky is black and at sunset it's shades of orange, yellow, and red.

Quote:
It's a good thing, as you put it, that "blacks failed resoundingly to adapt to Western democracy." Why should they have adapted to a society (which they were part of the foundation of) that treats them as third-rate human beings. If "Western democracy" means "white man rule" then it is no true democracy and I want nothing of it. The biggest success of African-Americans, the Civil Rights Movement, is also one of the biggest and most important steps in the right direction for the United States as a whole. While I find those who support Civil Rights Movement while opposing the Gay Rights Movement hypocrites and completely selfish, I will not go as far to say that African-Americans "in sum" are the "biggest racial failure" based solely on the importance of the Civil Rights Movement and what it has done to further push this country into the realm of a true free society for all, not just the privileged.

Are you to say that no blacks have risen from past oppression to become successful in our economy? If not, what's the point of your statement? Should I counter your argument by saying there are unsuccessful gay people, or that there are successful black people? Or perhaps we should just ignore this because it's completely irrelevant.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
True. But there is no reason to make laws specific to who you have sex with either.
Why not? They have parades specific to who you have sex with.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
oh no he didant amirite?
My shock shouldn't be misread as approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies