Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,131,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's a weak comment. Wal-Marts are located everywhere including wealthy areas. In my area, we have Wal-Marts located in upscale areas in Gilbert, Scottsdale and Chandler. People from poorer areas will deliberately drive to the nice ones in the more upscale areas because they are newer and cleaner. Wal-Mart also stays open later than Target so if you need to buy something last minute after 10 PM such as over the counter medicine or small grocery(milk), you have no choice but to go to Wal-Mart. And when I go there, I see the same gangs loitering by the entrance; I see the same lack of customer service aside from the old lady greeter who is half asleep; I see the same dishelved carts just tossed around everywhere and they usually don't run very well; I see the same hazardous parking lot situation with people showing no consideration for people crossing in the walk area unlike Target. It's funny because even the newer and nicer Wal-Marts have the same problems the older and more run down ones have in the poorer areas. As another poster said, when I go to Wal-Mart, I want to get my item and get the heII out of there. In the Phoenix area, there was a shooting in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart at 83rd and Union Hills in a very upscale area in Glendale which has the largest number of millionaires in the Valley. And this happened during the day. I saw a patient once who got thrown through a plate glass window by Wal-Mart security because the guy opened some food and started eating it. And this occurred in an upscale Gilbert Wal-Mart. You can deny it all you want but Wal-Mart attracts a certain crowd that you simply don't see at Target.
I call shenanigans. I don't believe a word of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,777,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Many college students shop at Walmart because of the deals. Most of these students are better looking and in better shape than you I would bet.

Try not generalizing because you saw a few fat people once in a Walmart
Im in pretty good shape, but some would be in better shape and some wouldn't. I hit the gym a few times a week and have been doing so for years. . I am taking some additional courses in college right now.

Try to refrain from commenting on how someone looks like when you don't know. For all I know you could be 300 pounds and missing an army, but I have no way of knowing.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Im in pretty good shape, but some would be in better shape and some wouldn't. I hit the gym a few times a week and have been doing so for years. . I am taking some additional courses in college right now.

Try to refrain from commenting on how someone looks like when you don't know. For all I know you could be 300 pounds and missing an army, but I have no way of knowing.
.....WooHoo!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Source: The Real Reason We Hate Wal-Mart - Wal-Mart - Gawker

I hate walmart because its full of trash, im referring to people, that smell like cigarettes and are incredible obese. ITs true though Walmart is just depressing.
Well, I don't know what Wall-Mart you are referring to, but you are not describing any Wal-Mart stores (3) that I regularly shop at. None fit that description.

If people "hate" Wal-Mart so much, why is Wal-Mart so successful?

I love Wal-Mart (though we don't buy our meat there, except for chicken, because we find IGA meat superior). Wal-Mart works on the quantity buy concept. The more they buy, the better price they receive, and they pass the savings on to the consumer.

In our area, we have observed that there is a very low turnover of employees at Wal-Mart also. Some of the people have been therefor many years, and we know them now by name. They are cheerful and quite friendly. Another reason I like shopping there. We have seen many promoted as well.

Wal-Mart also supports many local charities and other fundraisers. They give back to the local communities.

Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart. You should welcome them when they come to your area, if they aren't already there.

No, I don't work for Wal-Mart, nor does anyone in my family. I'm a tile guy, and a Web designer (my retirement career)

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,067,711 times
Quote:

So let me get this straight.....You feel it's OK to comment others intellect, educational level and personal habits, picking out and labeling people as 'trash' when you don't really know but we shouldn't speculate about you....OK.

I think we know all we need to know about you from this thread (and others) and I'd bet we could pick you out from a crowd of average Walmart shoppers if we could see past exteriors right down to character.....you'd be head and shoulders below the vast majority of them. Even if you aren't a small man in stature, you are a very small man in the ways that count most.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
No commentator stressed the Walton's family biggest contribution to Americans...
Bringing them products of acceptable quality in unmatched prices...
They should be regarded as national benefactors...
All this while lowering wages and destroying small businesses

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM

13,221 posts, read 21,844,514 times
Quote:
My problem is with some of the people that shop at Walmart. I am not going into the reasons why I don't like them because I already addressed that. Not everyone who shops at Walmart is trash, but a good portion are.
Everybody shops at Walmart. The people you see there are a cross-section of your town. Go to a town or county fair, parade, or any other public gathering, and you'll see the same people. They're your neighbors. Either get over them or move (and good luck with that.)

Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 21,844,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
All this while lowering wages and destroying small businesses
Small retail businesses sucked. Complete lack of inventory and buying choices. You'd have to drive for miles to find what you wanted. People who pine for the old Ma and Pa stores suffer from memory loss.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:38 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,954,661 times
I dunno.
Thesedays, it seems as though Goodwill is the "new" Wal-Mart more and more.
Wal-Mart's prices have gone up and a lot of folks are sick of what Wal-Mart constitutes as "Living better."
They are not as crowded as they were not so long ago.....except for certain days or times of the month.

Target and K-Mart are like ghost towns of the old west but they are used to it now.
Much better alternative to Wallyworld for such a quiet shopping experience.

But....Goodwill stores are booming and "some" posters here would surely have fun expressing their personal opinions of their customer base as well.

Blatant, elitist, self-admitted snobs can permeate cyberspace just as bad as a fart trapped under the bed covers.....and they really do.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Warning: long post with lots of quotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Why do liberals tend to hate Walmart more than Conservatives?
That doesn't seem to be the case here on this thread. I see lots of conservatives against WM, and a few liberals in favor of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and go back 50 or 75 years and the same was said about macy's and sears

stop your fearmongering
More like 100 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I don't hate Walmart, I just don't like it. I would rather live in a town with a dozen small shops in a lively retail/entertainment district and no Walmart for 100 miles, than in a suburb or exurb with no/a dead or dying retail district and a Walmart within driving distance.

I dislike Walmart because 2 of them (plus a Meijer, Super-Target, and Sams Club) killed off my hometown's downtown and any opportunities for independent retailers. Besides one lone department store or going far far away, you now have the choice of the 3 Walmart-brand shirts/pants/whatever should you need new clothes.

Fortunately, there are a few thrift stores and salvage yards where I can pick up quality used goods, rather than the Chinese or Cambodian toxic-laced dross that Walmart dumps on us.

What really surprises me is that people will still shop for food at Walmart when the local supermarkets are significantly cheaper with fresher produce and better selection on most items.

I agree with those who commented that the shopping experience at Walmart is a mixture of annoyance and depression.
Just where were all these "town(s) with a dozen small shops in a lively retail/entertainment district"? They only exist in the big cities. I had an epiphany talking about Wal Mart one time with a very conservative friend of mine. He was yakking about destroying downtowns, and I said that when Wal Mart came to my area, the downtown was already gone. It suddenly occurred to me that such was probably the case in many a town.

I agree most regular grocery stores have better produce and meat than WM, but for the same stuff, WM's price is almost always lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I will gladly pay $20 more to shop at Target because Wal-Mart has the following problems

(1) Long waits - they don't hire enough cashiers so that you end up waiting or having to use the self-check out. At Target, you can walk right up to a register without waiting

Not at my local Target. It can be as bad as WM.

(2) Crowds - At Target, you can shop in peace without waiting for someone to leave an aisle or worry about getting hit by another cart

Ditto

(3) Unsafe Parking lots - Wal Mart drivers are crazy and don't let people cross or you will have some WT driver double park his monster truck.

Ditto

(4) Gangs - I hate going to Wal-Mart and seeing gangs loiter in the store.

???

(5) Lack of high end items - Target carries items that Wal-Mart doesn't because Wal-Mart customers can't afford them

True. However, Wal Mart sells scrubs and sewing supplies.

(6) Lack of Help- At Wal-Mart, people hate being asked to help you find items and act like it's a burden. They will even hide from you. At Target, people will walk up to you and ask if you need help finding an item

Rarely at my Target do they do that.

(7) Bad Layout - At Wal-Mart, they had 5 bins full of cheap $1 videos in the center of a horizontal aisle so the space was extremely limited and causing congestion. Their aisles in general seem more narrow.

???

(8) Shelves are messy and unstocked- It's annoying to see items misplaced or shelves not restocked. That happens all the time at Wal-Mart. I noticed a certain aisle was empty and I asked if they sold out of the product and the guy claimed they had more items in the back and would stock it soon. It wasn't stocked until 2 days later.

My Target is actually worse than my Wal Mart in this regard.

(9) Politics - you can't buy certain items because Wal-Mart's Evangelical stance prevents that like certain novels or books that are top sellers but are "controversial" I know that Wal-Mart stopped carrying Maxim, Stuff and other magazines because they were considered nudy mags to their Evangeical customers

(10) Bathrooms - This is not an option if you shop at Wal-Mart because they are never clean

Again, this doesn't describe my Wal Mart.

Yes, I'll pay $20 more to shop at Target. In fact, I'd probably pay $30 more because the peace of mind is worth shopping at Target
Do you think Target has any better personnel policies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
A Target v Walmart thread from the Minneapolis MB. We prefer Target by a big margin.

target or walmart?
What a shock. Target is based in Minneapolis.

Quote:
This is not political issue. Its a personal issue. I find the people who regularly shop at Walmart to be complete trash.

I have a problem referring to anyone as trash.

Its there fault they became so fat. Eat some vegetables and exercise and stop watching so much tv. Hot Pockets and McDonalds aren't nutritional.

So start an obesity thread. This isn't the place.

Get a education instead of reading the bible and then you can get a good job and get off welfare.

Someone mentioned that I go around sniffing people at Walmart. Not true they smell so bad I can detect their odor from 10 feet away.

P.S. Before you go call me a left wing snob know that I am a semi-libertarian who supports Ron Paul. So if anything I am a right wing snob.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
OMGosh, Peggy Anne, please don't mention the countless offspring. Walmart is daycare for some. Freakin kids running, screaming and crying everywhere. It's like some parents and the kids look at their watches and say, okay we'll meet back here at ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
screaming kids with sticky fingers and greasy hair...
Quote:
The kids are usually extreme obese too.
First off, anyone with a name like "Childfree" is likely to have negative comments about kids anywhere. To the rest of you, wow, just wow!

Quote:
People are misunderstanding what I am trying to convey. I have no problem with Walmart, the Waltons, the money Walmart and the Waltons make, the politics of Walmart and the Waltons, chinese goods, slave wages, etc.

My problem is with some of the people that shop at Walmart. I am not going into the reasons why I don't like them because I already addressed that. Not everyone who shops at Walmart is trash, but a good portion are. I

never said that I don't shop at Walmart. I occasionaly do, but I take great efforts to avoid it. If I go to Walmart its usually not because of lower prices, but conveniance. When I do go its not an enjoyable experience.

I know I am not being "PC" but I am not a PC person. I am being honest. If that offends you too bad. Would you prefer that I lie and tell you that the losers who shop at Walmart, and not every Walmart customer is a loser, don't fill me with contempt and depression?
Why do you care who else is a customer there? Do you rate the customers at the other stores where you shop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies