Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
A melting pot absorbs and incorporates apsects of a person's culture, becoming an element of the larger culture. The person, or perhaps his offspring too becomes a part of the culture. Multiculturalism would keep those members of the individual cultures culturally, and often geographically separate.

The "dominant culture" is probably going to be simply the culture that has the largest population and therefore has the greatest overall influence on the nation as a whole. Right now the mostly white mainstream culture is in practice a melting pot. It's been potentially more of a melting pot since the Civil Right Revolution.

Members of other cultures have entered the mainstream culture, but many other members of those same cultures have rejected entering the mainstream culture. It is generally not been white people who have called for a multicultural society (except for the KKK and assorted other groups). But like I said in an earlier post, if multiculturalism is the way of the future, then it is only right that white people be allowed to form speciifically white clubs and organizations too. Perhaps someday Euro-centric schools. Of course anyone can legally attend, but with a Euro-centric tag.
You do understand that not even the majority group has uniformly the same culture, right? White people separate themselves from other White people based on culture, philosophy, and politics.

So what if a non-White person integrates into a non-mainstream White culture? Has that person assimilated into mainstream culture or is that person still being a separatist?

This is why you all are misinterpreting multiculturalism. It is not a policy or a goal, it is a fact of life. You can no more be against multiculturalism than you can be against individuality at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 08:11 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
It sucks.

I dont wanna be Mexican, chinese, Vietnamese, etc................I wanna be American, and that is a culture in and of itself............

Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I fully agree with the OP.

Multiculturalism doesn't work. It promotes segregation and division, and a nation cannot survive under it.

I, as a minority who was raised to assimilate into mainstream American culture, can tell from personal experience that being integrated into the mainstream does make life much easier and more productive for me. I love participating in the majority culture of America, and the primary American experience, instead of being confined to a little ethnic cultural pigeonhole. I can tell you that I have experienced very little racism throughout my life, and I think one of the reasons is that I accept mainstream culture and identify as American alone.

I feel that much of what minorities consider "racism" is really "culturism," and not truly a hatred of one's skin color or national origin.

I really wish more minorities would accept full integration and assimilation into mainstream culture, and identify as American alone, rather than continuing to assert their ethnic identity at the expense of their American one. It would allow their experiences to better influence the mainstream society, and allow them to more fully participate in the greatness that is America.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Here's a Youtube video that I made on this subject:

YouTube - Race vs. Culture!!!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Sorry GalileoSmith, but your post seems to be nothing more than the re-hashing of the David Duke type of racism.

Davis Duke was somewhat successful in taking the image of the stupid pot bellied red neck southerner, spewing hate and stupidity and replacing or re-phrasing the issue of hate based on race.

David never said we hate the ni@@ers and should bring back Jim crow, segregation, and second class citizenship status; David said, I love the white race and only seek to preserve our racial identity and culture.

What he really means is preserving that part of "southern" culture, and racial status that enabled the south to have it's own unique culture of apartheid in this country.

What you attempt to do is make multi-culturalism and segregation one and the same....pretty sneaky of you!

Multiculturalism is the acceptance or promotion of multiple ethnic cultures, for practical reasons and/or for the sake of diversity and applied to the demographic make-up of a specific place, usually at the organizational level, e.g. schools, businesses, neighborhoods, cities or nations. In this context, multiculturalisms advocate extending equitable status to distinct ethnic and religious groups without promoting any specific ethnic, religious, and/or cultural community values as central.
Multiculturalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Segregation generally is taken to mean the practice of forcibly separating people based upon their race or ethnicity.
However, under modern civil rights law force doesn't have anything to do with the legal definition of segregation.
Definition of 'Segregation'

It's ironic that in your example of poster A and B in the example you listed, the black man has made no contributions to this nation and has only the color of his skin and the fortitude of his people to be proud of.
The white man on the other hand, is proud of the scientific and technological contributions given to the nation.

This example in and of itself is flawed and based on omission of true historical fact!

The black man could have cited numerous contributions to science and technology that black people contributed to this country, why is the color of his skin of such importance?...because there are those who would push the racial agenda that "certain" people have never, could never, and will never contribute anything to this society, they will only take from it.

Furthermore the white man in your example never has to mention the color of his skin, yet historical fact makes it clear that the very genesis of his thoughts of superiority was based on the color of his skin.

You further state that multi-culturalism allows afro-centric schools to operate openly, surely you know that to be false?

Segregation, the willful exclusion of minorities, separate but equal, and the failure to teach the contributions of all Americans lead to the founding of minority schools, clubs, new papers, etc.

Today's so-called Afrocentric schools are based more on teaching responsibility, citizenship and staying out of trouble more than anything else. They are there in an effort to stem the factors that black men become subject to that leads to the negative numbers and stats in the black community, I've never heard of one that would refuse admission to anyone of another race.

Multi culturalism is almost as damaging to this country as segregation and Jim crow, both were never meant to be the norms of people immigrating to this country.

To be truly American means that you do treasure your values and customs, you pass them on to one generation to the next; however your value system does not include the willful exclusion, denigration, and refusal to accept others.

We can all celebrate our cultural heritage but when that heritage means subverting the heritage of the melting pot idea of inclusion and acceptance, it must be discarded.
reconmark,

I don't think you read what I wrote. Oversimplified, here's what I want our society to be; A large, single "American" culture that allows all people entry and assimilation. All minorities, including Hispanics, Asians, gays, dwarves, and yes, even vegetarians would be welcome in the mainstream culture. But there needs to be a desire on their part to assimilate into the larger culture. Minorities' acceptance of the larger culture would expand the parameters of the mainstream culture in many ways, this due to the influences of minorities.

None of this comes to pass if minorities reject the mainstream culture (i.e. multiculturalism).

What I do not want is for whites, blacks, Hispanics, and various Asian minorities to live in separate neighborhoods, with separate organizations, clubs, and forms of media, only interacting when necessary, and then doing so grudgingly.

I can pretty much assure you that David Duke is all for multiculturalism. He is for anything that keeps blacks away from whites.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

flyingwriter,

Nice video. I know that it's not easy to turn on the camera and just start talking. When a person does it on TV (for some reason I think of the Andy Rooney segment at the end of 60 Minutes), they speak a few lines and then stop the camera and ready themself for the next few lines. The camera angle is changed between takes, making it look almost seamless.

Anyway, when it comes to race there's always a lot of stereotyping. If you ever watch the TV show The Office, a lot of the humor is based on silly stereotyping. In one episode, the office supervisor was worried about an upcoming colonoscopy. So oblivious to the abject stereotyping, he asked the office gay guy what he should expect in the way of anal pain during the procedure. The gay guy can do nothing but gaze into the camera, dumbfounded.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 03-06-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
My grandmother could have a "White Woman's Sewing Club" and not be proclaimed a racist.
Right, but excluding others who aren't white could have the connotation of it. Don't you think? That's been the problem to begin with.

Why weren't the Mexican or Chinese ladies not invited or welcomed to the Sewing club? Wouldn't they enjoy it as much as granny?

That's where things went wrong; excluding a group because of skin color, or cultural difference, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Sorry GalileoSmith, but your post seems to be nothing more than the re-hashing of the David Duke type of racism.

Davis Duke was somewhat successful in taking the image of the stupid pot bellied red neck southerner, spewing hate and stupidity and replacing or re-phrasing the issue of hate based on race.

David never said we hate the ni@@ers and should bring back Jim crow, segregation, and second class citizenship status; David said, I love the white race and only seek to preserve our racial identity and culture.

What he really means is preserving that part of "southern" culture, and racial status that enabled the south to have it's own unique culture of apartheid in this country.

What you attempt to do is make multi-culturalism and segregation one and the same....pretty sneaky of you!

Multiculturalism is the acceptance or promotion of multiple ethnic cultures, for practical reasons and/or for the sake of diversity and applied to the demographic make-up of a specific place, usually at the organizational level, e.g. schools, businesses, neighborhoods, cities or nations. In this context, multiculturalisms advocate extending equitable status to distinct ethnic and religious groups without promoting any specific ethnic, religious, and/or cultural community values as central.
Multiculturalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Segregation generally is taken to mean the practice of forcibly separating people based upon their race or ethnicity.
However, under modern civil rights law force doesn't have anything to do with the legal definition of segregation.
Definition of 'Segregation'

It's ironic that in your example of poster A and B in the example you listed, the black man has made no contributions to this nation and has only the color of his skin and the fortitude of his people to be proud of.
The white man on the other hand, is proud of the scientific and technological contributions given to the nation.

This example in and of itself is flawed and based on omission of true historical fact!

The black man could have cited numerous contributions to science and technology that black people contributed to this country, why is the color of his skin of such importance?...because there are those who would push the racial agenda that "certain" people have never, could never, and will never contribute anything to this society, they will only take from it.

Furthermore the white man in your example never has to mention the color of his skin, yet historical fact makes it clear that the very genesis of his thoughts of superiority was based on the color of his skin.

You further state that multi-culturalism allows afro-centric schools to operate openly, surely you know that to be false?

Segregation, the willful exclusion of minorities, separate but equal, and the failure to teach the contributions of all Americans lead to the founding of minority schools, clubs, new papers, etc.

Today's so-called Afrocentric schools are based more on teaching responsibility, citizenship and staying out of trouble more than anything else. They are there in an effort to stem the factors that black men become subject to that leads to the negative numbers and stats in the black community, I've never heard of one that would refuse admission to anyone of another race.

Multi culturalism is almost as damaging to this country as segregation and Jim crow, both were never meant to be the norms of people immigrating to this country.

To be truly American means that you do treasure your values and customs, you pass them on to one generation to the next; however your value system does not include the willful exclusion, denigration, and refusal to accept others.

We can all celebrate our cultural heritage but when that heritage means subverting the heritage of the melting pot idea of inclusion and acceptance, it must be discarded.
Great Post. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Well Said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post

Stop looking at the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
It sucks.

I dont wanna be Mexican, chinese, Vietnamese, etc................I wanna be American, and that is a culture in and of itself............
No one is stopping you from being American, and don't stop the Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese etc from being who they are. Let them be.

What's the big deal? The energy and time you're wasting telling us this, could be used to be a better American.

I can't stand people who have a problem with other cultures being theirs (even in this country), while they themselves want to enjoy their own. Contradiction at its best.

Imagine us, not being able to get a good Pizza or Chinese food, because we just want everything American. (You know Pizza is Italian, right? )

Can't have Sushi, or German Beer? Why not? It's not American.

Rubbish....

All I'm saying is: Enjoy the Variety. If you don't like it, Fine. But I'll be damned if I don't get my Pizza, Taco or Shrimp Fried rice from time to time.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not a fan. I'd like us to have a common American culture.
And what would that "common" culture look like? Who gets to decide?

I prefer integrating multiple cultures as opposed to assimilating to a single.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:02 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
"Multicultarism" is a destroyer of nations. But, that is exactly what the One Worlders and George Soros want isn't it?
The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department.

"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."

— Thomas Sowell

Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Right, but excluding others who aren't white could have the connotation of it. Don't you think? That's been the problem to begin with.

Why weren't the Mexican or Chinese ladies not invited or welcomed to the Sewing club? Wouldn't they enjoy it as much as granny?

That's where things went wrong; excluding a group because of skin color, or cultural difference, etc.

MrNY,

See, multicultrualism "excludes". That's what it is all about, disengaging cultures from one another. But if we are to go in the direction of multiculturalism as opposed to the "Melting Pot, then multiculturalism has to apply to white people just the same as it would to other ethnic groups. Therefore, if there are Black Ski Clubs (and there are), then there can also exist White Ski Clubs, existing openly and without social protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies