Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,330,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I was taken aback with this sentence from the article:
"Ironically, the legislation also toughens state gun laws: it bans convicted felons, mental patients and people younger than 21 from being able to buy Wyoming-made firearms."
Wyoming didn't already prohibit convicted felons and mental patients from buying firearms? And they'll still be able to, only not the ones made in Wyoming? Yikes.
Them Wyominginigans had better check their firearms at the border when coming into Montana.

If they want to carry firearms in Montana, they'll need to buy high quality Montana firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Because most of these regulations have been at the federal level and checks conducted through the federal NICS system, there has been largely no reason for states to write such legislation.

Wyoming is simply closing any loophole that may have been unintentionally opened by their new state law. Why the over-reaction? Go look outside, the sky is not falling.
Over-reaction? I was reacting to the article, but was not aware I was over-reacting.

Thank you for the information re: the continued applicability of federal gun laws for some of the guns sold in Wyoming. I think I have it right now - under state law, mental patients and convicted felons won't be able to buy Wyoming-made guns, and under federal law (one hopes), mental patients and convicted felons won't be able to buy non-Wyoming-made guns.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
This is about federal law as it applies to Wyoming firearms interstate vs. intrastate sales.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
If you manufacture a gun in Wyoming and sell it locally, basically the NCIS form does not need to be filled out and you do not need an FBI background check. You must only comply with WY laws. That is the point of nullification. The federal government is out of the loop as long as the gun is born and stays in WY. If WY one day allows machine guns and the criteria is satisfied, the BATFE has no say in the matter.

This is going to get VERY exciting.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you manufacture a gun in Wyoming and sell it locally, basically the NCIS form does not need to be filled out and you do not need an FBI background check. The federal government is out of the loop as long as the gun is born and stays in WY. If WY one day allows machine guns and the above applies, the BATFE has no say in the matter.
Which is the real underlying bone of contention for the federal government!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Hmmm It would seem that Wyoming and Montana have a pretty low ranking in crime.
Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would seem that Wyoming is a pretty safe place to live compared to say Florida.
I like the law because I honestly don't like the idea of the fed ie politicians from all 50 states assuming to know whats best for an individual state.
Does Nancy Pelosi understand the people of Wyoming? What about Ohio?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm It would seem that Wyoming and Montana have a pretty low ranking in crime.
Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It would seem that Wyoming is a pretty safe place to live compared to say Florida.
I like the law because I honestly don't like the idea of the fed ie politicians from all 50 states assuming to know whats best for an individual state.
If you are trying to equate the low crime to the presence of firearms, the relationship is false. You could make an argument about the level of crime and the DENSITY of the population, possible. However there are plenty of places with high rates of gun ownership and high crime as well as low rates and low crime. There doesn't appear to be a correlation there.

As far as Wyoming goes, it's a beautiful place.

Fear of the federal government is trumped up BS and these laws are simply political grandstanding. We are American's first and all subject to both state and federal law. I don't believe a state should be able to declare itself above any federal law...

Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
She doesn't even understand the people in the California central valley - and they're less than 100 miles away.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you manufacture a gun in Wyoming and sell it locally, basically the NCIS form does not need to be filled out and you do not need an FBI background check. You must only comply with WY laws. That is the point of nullification. The federal government is out of the loop as long as the gun is born and stays in WY. If WY one day allows machine guns and the criteria is satisfied, the BATFE has no say in the matter.

This is going to get VERY exciting.
Indeed, drug cartels and others will buy their guns in Wyoming and take them elsewhere with no ability to track.

What guns are made in Wyoming anyway?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
If you are trying to equate the low crime to the presence of firearms, the relationship is false. You could make an argument about the level of crime and the DENSITY of the population, possible. However there are plenty of places with high rates of gun ownership and high crime as well as low rates and low crime. There doesn't appear to be a correlation there.

As far as Wyoming goes, it's a beautiful place.

Fear of the federal government is trumped up BS and these laws are simply political grandstanding. We are American's first and all subject to both state and federal law. I don't believe a state should be able to declare itself above any federal law...
I am an American first. Nothing is more American than not trusting big gov. My loyalty and allegence is to America, not to the prostitutes we have elected to office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies